Custom Rom Experiences on M8

Search This thread

forgiveMySin

Aug 22, 2014
~/dev/urandom
Good morning Folks!

well, after converting my m8 to GPE, I experimented with some Custom Roms (PA and CM). The issues were A broken mic (can't send memos in WhatsApp, when someones calling, they cant hear me...) and Soundproblems (Cracking speakers etc. Although, I think I found a solution named Viper4Android [?]). Is this all fixed in the newer Builds? I want to get that Sense UI away but don't want to stick to GPE. I think SlimKat would do it job on my phone.

Sincerly,

Phil

Last edited:

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
Good morning Folks!

well, after converting my m8 to GPE, I experimented with some Custom Roms (PA and CM). The issues were A broken mic (can't send memos in WhatsApp, when someones calling, they cant hear me...) and Soundproblems (Cracking speakers etc. Although, I think I found a solution named Viper4Android [?]). Is this all fixed in the newer Builds? I want to get that Sense UI away but don't want to stick to GPE. I think SlimKat would do it job on my phone.

Sincerly,

Phil
I've had a pretty smooth experience with paranoid android. Sure there isn't wifi calling, nor the sense camera that lets you use the third camera, but its pure google and fast (I used a custom kernel)

However, I'm back on sense, honestly Sense feels faster most of the time, especially since i removed the annoying carrier apk's. And with root everything is as if not more customizable than in a custom rom with a lot of options. Just stock OTA, custom kernel, debloat, xposed mods, and boom.

forgiveMySin

Aug 22, 2014
~/dev/urandom
I've had a pretty smooth experience with paranoid android. Sure there isn't wifi calling, nor the sense camera that lets you use the third camera, but its pure google and fast (I used a custom kernel)

Yes, thats true and I got over all this sense only features. I think, I'm gonna flash slimkat once and tell you of it's better.

EDIT: Okay, so I tested cm-11-20140812-NIGHTLY-m8 (yeah, not the latest but I only had that file on my card :S). Speakers sound as natural as with BoomSound. I was very very surprised, gonna compare it later with my sisters m8. Until now, I haven't seen a single lag, except after flashing gapps, my systemui fc'd. Battery consumption is unknown yet, I only used it ~15 minutes. But to have something...

I started with ~89% (flashing and wiping etc)
Display-on: 51%
Android-System: 10%
Android-OS (?): 7%
Media: 5%
Google+: 4%
Camera: 3%
cLock: 3%
Cell Standby: 3%
com.android.systemui: 3%
WiFi: 3%
(Seems ok for me now)
I report more when I've installed WhatsApp

EDIT 2: Okay, found out that Microphone isn't working. I am now back at my ARHD Backup. Maybe I'm gonna try Slimkat later
Greetz, Phil

Last edited: