[REF] Nexus 7 Stock OTA URLs

Search This thread

Gitah.

Jul 20, 2012
Well, I just tried to unroot it using superSU before flashing, the OTA installed successfully and then I re-flashed superSU. It was faster this way after all.

Boozezela

Aug 5, 2012
After typing this command, it says permission denied...:crying:

See Gitah's suggestion.

Or try the following commands from the adb shell:

$ su
# mount -o rw,remount /system

then try chattr -i again

How ever if you have rebooted into recovery, you should already be root (su) when you access the shell and /system should already be writeable.

WooHooGuy

May 10, 2013
I get the OTA (directly from update menu), installed, but i still have JWR66V :)

Same here on my Grouper Nexus 7.

I upgraded to 4.3 JWR66V by making sure SuperSU was up to date, flashed stock recovery using Wug's NRT, then triggering the upgrade from the system update menu.

Everything went fine, still had root and didnt need any nandroid backups I made.

Since then the security update has been released so I flashed stock recovery again, then applied update via system update menu.

I got a error picture on the stock recovery screen, but on reboot the system "optimized" all the apps and everything seems fine, system update check states everything is up to date.

Is the update supposed to change the build number?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

This post really belongs in the Wugfresh toolkit thread, but i can't post there because i don't have enough posts. Anyhow, tried using toolkit 1.7.1 to flash the JWR66Y from JWR66V using the stock + unroot option, and it pretty much bricked my Nexus 7. It was just stuck at fastboot and when you hit start it would say boot failed. I tried several times with different settings and all ended with the same result. I even tried using the toolkit to temp boot into TWRP, and it said no OS found. So i ended up using the guide for the Nexus 4 and manually ran the fastboot commands to load the images, but it seemed to wipe EVERYTHING, titanium backups, TWRP backups... oh well.

Happened to me too while flashing stock 4.3 google rom using Wugfresh.

I got the same "boot failed" screen and stupidly turned it off. Then I couldn't turn it back on - couldn't even get to the google splash screen. Needless to say I couldn't even get into fastboot to flash things, and now it's at Asus' office waiting to be fixed/replaced.

This seems to be a common issue too. Moral of the story - don't flash 4.3 based roms using a toolkit.

While toolkits make things easier, there still needs to be proper user input and setup of them to ensure they work properly.

Did you make sure the default device settings in Wug's NRT was properly set to your device? Was the current build number correct for the actual device and not the build number you were flashing to?

There are two different Nexus 7 tablets -

Grouper - Wug's " Nexus 7" menu selection
Tilapia - Wug's "Nexus 7 v2" menu selection

When properly set Wug's NRT makes sure you have the proper files files needed for flashing and makes all the difference in the world.

Simple rules to follow-

Always make sure the toolkit is up to date before use.

Make sure you are using a good quality and tight fitting USB cable.

Always make a nandroid backup before OTA upgrading or flashing.

Make sure you flash stock recovery before applying updates.

Make sure you flash stock kernel if you installed a mod or ROM that modified it, or possibly modified it.

Have you tried the Steps outlined in Wug's NRT to recover a soft bricked device? There are instructions on youtube on how to remove the back cover of the Nexus 7 and pull the battery terminal for a hard reboot if needed. If you get it to bootloader mode flash the last known build that your device was working on or a Nandroid backup if you have one.

Reactions: FReaKRaNT

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
So I got notice of system update to 4.3, I was already on 4.3. Rooted with TWRP recovery. Went ahead and did update and booted to TWRP and installed update. When it was done I got notice from TWRP that install was OK but seemed to lose supersu rights. Had choice to leave it or fix supersu, I choose fix supersu. So then rebooted, all works OK and supersu still works. Don't see and change in about tablet and still have TWRP recovery??????

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

choybel

Nov 8, 2012
Zamboanga
See Gitah's suggestion.

Or try the following commands from the adb shell:

$ su
# mount -o rw,remount /system

then try chattr -i again

How ever if you have rebooted into recovery, you should already be root (su) when you access the shell and /system should already be writeable.

Using Gitah's suggestion, my device detected an update available, so I went ahead and install it. My device rebooted to twrp, installed it and there was no error. I restarted my device excitedly and happily but when I checked my device is still in JWR66V...

So I re-installed SU and went to adb shell and typed $ su, then it said not found...what am I doing wrong?:confused::(

moses6533

Sep 25, 2012
Same here on my Grouper Nexus 7.

I upgraded to 4.3 JWR66V by making sure SuperSU was up to date, flashed stock recovery using Wug's NRT, then triggering the upgrade from the system update menu.

Everything went fine, still had root and didnt need any nandroid backups I made.

Since then the security update has been released so I flashed stock recovery again, then applied update via system update menu.

I got a error picture on the stock recovery screen, but on reboot the system "optimized" all the apps and everything seems fine, system update check states everything is up to date.

Is the update supposed to change the build number?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

While toolkits make things easier, there still needs to be proper user input and setup of them to ensure they work properly.

Did you make sure the default device settings in Wug's NRT was properly set to your device? Was the current build number correct for the actual device and not the build number you were flashing to?

There are two different Nexus 7 tablets -

Grouper - Wug's " Nexus 7" menu selection
Tilapia - Wug's "Nexus 7 v2" menu selection

When properly set Wug's NRT makes sure you have the proper files files needed for flashing and makes all the difference in the world.

Simple rules to follow-

Always make sure the toolkit is up to date before use.

Make sure you are using a good quality and tight fitting USB cable.

Always make a nandroid backup before OTA upgrading or flashing.

Make sure you flash stock recovery before applying updates.

Make sure you flash stock kernel if you installed a mod or ROM that modified it, or possibly modified it.

Have you tried the Steps outlined in Wug's NRT to recover a soft bricked device? There are instructions on youtube on how to remove the back cover of the Nexus 7 and pull the battery terminal for a hard reboot if needed. If you get it to bootloader mode flash the last known build that your device was working on or a Nandroid backup if you have one.

Yes everything was set correctly on the first go around, and was running stock 4.3 JWR66V rooted. The only thing that i did before that which may have effected it was i first flashed back to stock recovery to attempt to get the update via the OS under system update....it got about half way then the android died (fell on his back with a red exclamation mark). So obviously it was time to move onto to wugs toolkit. So i updated everything even ran the driver test, and everything was going smoothly, so i hit flash stock + unroot, and the command prompt said "wait 5-10 minutes for your to device to reboot"
Needless to say i waited and waited and nothing happened, so when i hit START i got the BOOT FAILED. and so then i tried and tried again with the toolkit to no avail, i was always stuck at the fastboot, and could only power off or restart fastboot, could not go to recovery or start. Temp boot to TWRP said no OS found, so i just used the FASTBOOT COMMAND PROMPT in the WUGS directory to load the images from the official update. That worked, and the only snafu was that it wiped EVERYTHING, i didn't think that it would even wipe backups, because i didn't flash the userdata image. On side note, my same wallpaper was still there. :p

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Seem to be getting a lot of different results here going from 66V to 66Y. I just disabled the upgrade notification and sticking with 66V until a reliable method is posted. Rooted with NRT, M-Kernel, Chainfire SU, why fix it if it ain't broke.

walpow

Nov 28, 2012
Seem to be getting a lot of different results here going from 66V to 66Y. I just disabled the upgrade notification and sticking with 66V until a reliable method is posted. Rooted with NRT, M-Kernel, Chainfire SU, why fix it if it ain't broke.

Yeah, it does seem to be a crapshoot. I'm rooted, TWRP recovery, stock ROM, and the OTA looked like it was going to work until suddenly Mr. Android Man was on his back next to a big ERROR. I ended up flashing the 66Y system partition (my first flash - yay, me!) with the WUG toolkit and rerooting.

By the way, this silly little update was a lot more trouble than the original 4.3, for which the OTA ran perfectly (though I did have to reroot).

rtiangha

Jan 3, 2012
Hi everyone.

I've had multiple hardware issues with my Nexus 7 wifi lately, but received a new battery and all is fine now. I'd like to OTA update to 4.3 from 4.2.2 without losing data and I'm rooted and have TWRP installed. The problem is that my USB port is busted (I've been charging using the Nexus dock), so I can't connect this thing to a computer via USB.

My understanding is that I'll lose root and recovery after upgrading to 4.3 without taking any precautions, correct? I really don't want to lose root since I'll have no way to re-root after the fact, but I was wondering if this would work:

- Boot into TWRP
- Install OTA zip from 4.2.2 to 4.3 in TWRP
- Re-flash SuperSU
- Reboot machine
- Re-install TWRP through goo.im

Would that work, or is there a better method? For example, should I attempt to edit out any offending lines in the update script of the OTA? Is that a better option? Or am I simply hooped? And dumb question, but is there a way to re-flash TWRP from within TWRP before I reboot?

Last edited:

WooHooGuy

May 10, 2013
Hi everyone.

I've had multiple hardware issues with my Nexus 7 wifi lately, but received a new battery and all is fine now. I'd like to OTA update to 4.3 from 4.2.2 without losing data and I'm rooted and have TWRP installed. The problem is that my USB port is busted (I've been charging using the Nexus dock), so I can't connect this thing to a computer via USB.

My understanding is that I'll lose root and recovery after upgrading to 4.3 without taking any precautions, correct? I really don't want to lose root since I'll have no way to re-root after the fact, but I was wondering if this would work:

- Boot into TWRP
- Install OTA zip from 4.2.2 to 4.3 in TWRP
- Re-flash SuperSU
- Reboot machine
- Re-install TWRP through goo.im

Would that work, or is there a better method? For example, should I attempt to edit out any offending lines in the update script of the OTA? Is that a better option? Or am I simply hooped? And dumb question, but is there a way to re-flash TWRP from within TWRP before I reboot?

You won't lose twrp as long as you reflash the latest SuperSU before rebooting. :good:

+1 on making sure SuperSU is updated before you attempt the upgrade, Be sure to launch SSU and do the proper binary install at the prompt.

You may want to use the option that exports the "update.zip" file first so you can fall back to it if by chance anything goes wrong, then go back and trigger the install again writing to the system partition the second time.

goldenval

Nov 3, 2009
You won't lose twrp as long as you reflash the latest SuperSU before rebooting. :good:

Hello society. My turn to ask for help. My story in pictures:

1. My version of Nexus7:

2. So from 1st page of thread I downloaded JWR66Y from JDQ39 version

3. When loaded rom onto internal memory switched into TWRP:

4. Started installation from location where I stored rom:

5. And got error: (sorry last picture is bad, almost readable)

So, where am I wrong? I read all 60+ pages of the thread, but no answer for me found. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts