if you want the camera tint solved read this thread

how do u think it can be fixed

• Total voters
Search This thread

DAMIEN123_666

Mar 6, 2009
hi all ive just contacted HTC uk line and asked about the camera issues with the pink/red tint in the midldle of the pictures and it seems that HTC expect a fair amount of people to complain before they will look at it, the person i spoke to took a htc hd2 out and tested it and she stated she had the same issue but untill enough people ring and complain its a bust

so if u want the camera sorted then look here and call to complain
http://www.htc.com/europe/CA_Hotline.aspx

p.s. do u think the camera issue is software or hardware related

Last edited:

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
Is there a white balance manual adjustment anywhere? Haven't received my phone yet so can't check. I'm not talking about preset modes like "sunny", "couldy" and the likes, but somewhere where the colour temperature can be manually set? I'm a photographer btw ;)

Edit: saw the other thread about it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=584675&highlight=pictures with pictures! Could have something to do with metering modes cos this looks like it's getting the white balance wrong on some kind of spot or centre metering mode. Is there an "average" metering mode at all? Might be worth a try.

Last edited:

DAMIEN123_666

Mar 6, 2009
hi theirs no color temperature settings but their are three metering modes

-touch focus (spot)
-center area
-average

some tests of white/cream door:- autowhitebalance setting, super fine, everything else default, no flash

-------------spot----------------center area----------------average-------

some tests of stuff mag:- auto whitebalance setting, super fine, everything else default, no flash

some tests of stuff mag:- indoor whitebalance setting, super fine, everything else default, no flash

some tests of stuff mag closeup:-indoor whitebalance setting, super fine, everything else default, no flash

if u have the time to change the settings depending on the lighting environment ur in, i.e. using the auto lighting setting gives red tints but with the indoor lighting settings its seems alot better dont u think, BUT its still visable

Last edited:

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
ouch, that white spot with the magenta halo thing is really bad. I'm kinda stumped on that one, especially as I can't have a play with it (and have no idea when I'll get mine!) I don't suppose you have an 18% neutral gray card lurking around you could take pictures of lol at least that'd give me a reference point. Sunny or cloudy settings might improve the overall appearance in daylight conditions rather than using the auto wb but it's never going to get rid of that much imbalance, even the left and right sides are different tones. While I'd never expect a picture from phone camera to be great, I'd certainly expect something better than that!

DAMIEN123_666

Mar 6, 2009
ouch, that white spot with the magenta halo thing is really bad. I'm kinda stumped on that one, especially as I can't have a play with it (and have no idea when I'll get mine!) I don't suppose you have an 18% neutral gray card lurking around you could take pictures of lol at least that'd give me a reference point. Sunny or cloudy settings might improve the overall appearance in daylight conditions rather than using the auto wb but it's never going to get rid of that much imbalance, even the left and right sides are different tones. While I'd never expect a picture from phone camera to be great, I'd certainly expect something better than that!

emm what is this "18% neutral gray card"

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
emm what is this "18% neutral gray card"

It is exactly what it says lol - a bit of card that's "officially" neutral grey - that's what we use to meter off to get the correct white balance in any lighting conditions.

A friend of mine should receive his phone before the end of the week, if he does I'll see if I can do some testing on the camera in daylight with a grey card and will let you know, of course :)

siamchen

Apr 16, 2008
Sydney
have you try to adjust white blance? Do not use auto model and choose something else. That may reduce the tint in the central area.

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
if u have the time to change the settings depending on the lighting environment ur in, i.e. using the auto lighting setting gives red tints but with the indoor lighting settings its seems alot better dont u think, BUT its still visable

yep the indoor setting for indoor shots is much better so at least it's doing *something* nearly right lol - auto settings are rarely good anyway but they should manage better than that.

DMAND

Dec 6, 2006
I personally think this can be fixed with a ROM because if you read the 4winmobile.com review and look at the pictures they took in the main review with a pre release ROM the pink spot is very noticable

Then scroll down to the updated pics taken with a Retail O2 ROM and the spot doesnt seem to be there.

I dont have a HD2 yet, but when I do and if its has the pink spot I will be ringing up, as I suggest anyone else who has it does too

DAMIEN123_666

Mar 6, 2009
have you try to adjust white blance? Do not use auto model and choose something else. That may reduce the tint in the central area.

when i say indoor light setting or auto light setting i ment to say " indoor whitebalance setting or auto whitebalance setting"

ive edited post now

maati

Aug 13, 2006
I've got the English retail HD2 and there is NO tint.

All the pictures I've taken with my HD2 are great so far.

DAMIEN123_666

Mar 6, 2009
i have the english retail version too, please post ur device info, i.e. rom version and other info on the spec settings page

maati

Aug 13, 2006
ROM version
1.43.405.1 (70124) WWE

ROM date
10/26/09

Radio version
2.04.50.22_2

Now I looked again and there is a bit of a tint but almost not noticeable, if you don't know about it. Might be an issue with all HDs but frankly, I don't care too much, because it takes great pictures nonetheless.

Last edited:

mr_Ray

Feb 9, 2006
ROM version
1.43.405.1 (70124) WWE

ROM date
10/26/09

Radio version
2.04.50.22_2

Now I looked again and there is a bit of a tint but almost not noticeable, if you don't know about it. Might be an issue with all HDs but frankly, I don't care too much, because it takes great pictures nonetheless.

Exactly the same here - ROM and results. Several test photos both of plain surfaces (wall/paper/sky) and general photos and there might be the *slightest* tint to one or two if you look at them funny. Certainly there's nothing even remotely like the disaster pics posted here and elsewhere, thankfully.

If it is a ROM issue, it seems this is a solid working ROM.

sjbale

Aug 18, 2008
Hi all,

I reported this issue to HTC and sent them some sample photos. I received the following reply within several minutes:

Dear Mr Bale,

We are aware of this issue at HTC and are currently looking into it.

Apologies for any inconvienience caused.

Best Regards,
HTC Technical Support.

Xaddict

May 15, 2009
Sydney
Colour tint issue

The halo of different colours would suggest chromatic abberation, which is hardware(lens) based so no fix possible.

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
Chromatic abberation normally shows up as fringing around contrasty edges (so could be anywhere in the picture depending on what you're shooting) not a massive magenta blob consistently in the middle of every single picture!

Fatherboard

Nov 9, 2009
It's not C.A. you can notice this phenomenon with normal DSLR Cameras, which have exposed the sensor for long periods, and some parts of it being heated.

example - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/3670598368_1cc6f5f72e.jpg

Checkout the upper left corner.

whether the sensor is defective, or its mounting process causes this - I expect HTC to handle this problem by replacing the affected units.

Last edited: