[Q] NST General Questions
Hello fellow Nookers,
I've been lurking around here for the past couple of years, only to join about 8mo ago. I find the amount of knowledge and willingness to help at XDA fascinating. There are clearly A LOT of intelligent people here that could probably solve many of the worlds problems, if collectively asked. So, a big virtual thumbs up to all of you.
Well, enough of the mushy stuff. I'm here for a reason right? I have quite a few general questions regarding things such as... a rooted nook, Google Play, .apk files, transferring .apk files, searchmarket, etc.. Rather than start separate threads, or jump on many existing threads, I figured it might be easier to list them in one thread.
So, here we go.
Above all other questions below, here is what I am ultimately after...
I am looking to download .apk game files from Google Play so that I can transfer/install them on my Kindle Fire HD. So why not root the KF? I have read posts that rooting a KF using Amazon Prime will render Prime useless. I need my Prime for watching movies/shows. The games I want from GP are not available on the less-than-stellar Amazon App Store. I value my KF device more than my outdated NST, which is why I have no issues rooting the NST.
Now for the questions...
(1) I've followed the [Root] NookManager post here at XDA ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351 ) and successfully rooted my NST running 1.2.1. Per the post, there were quite a few steps not mentioned according to this nook devs page ( http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Rooting ). [Q] Are the below areas from nook devs not necessary when following the [Root] NookManager post?
After you have burned the uSD card
At the Android Welcome Screen skip "Sign In"
Enable Location Services when given the option.
Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW App Drawer.
Click the Menu button (On top at the right, next to the time.).
Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account (ensure the XXX@Gmail.com format to link)
Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail.
Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine - it will do so later on if you give it a few minutes)
Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
(2) Before rooting, I changed the email address on B&N associated with the NST. The email with B&N matches the email I use for GP. However, the email on the NST, in account settings, is the previous email address. [Q] Is this an issue?
(3) When accessing GP on NST via the Browser App in ReLaunch, there are many games I cannot download. I get the message "This app is incompatible with your device". I've read a few posts online (outside of XDA) showing ways to spoof an older Android device to a current Android device. But, as with most things, it came with warnings and only working for devices running firmware higher than 1.2.1. [Q] Assuming this would trick GP into thinking I have a newer Android, is there a known way to accomplish spoofing a 1.2.1 device?
(4) Something worth pointing out... when accessing GP, and navigating to Settings/My Devices, "phone" is listed. However, when I go to Settings/Android Device Manager on GP, it states No Active Device Listed. [Q] Should there be a device in the Android Device Manager? If so, how to accomplish this?
(5) As it has been widely reported, the search feature on GP doesn't work when on the NST. For the record, I have noticed while in Settings, the search feature does in fact work. So, it has been suggested to use SearchMarket (which I have installed). However, this app seams to have its limitations. When I search for a game on SM, that I know is on GP, SM is not finding it. Also, the Market App within ReLaunch cannot find the game either. [Q] Is SM searching Market, and is Market different than GP?
(6) These next questions relate to downloading, rather than installing, apk files to the NST. Since my goal is to obtain apps from GP, that are not available via AAS, so I can install them on the KF, [Q] how can I have them sent to the mSD Card? [Q] Aside from using download/torrent sites to obtain .apk files, are there any "legal", safer, ways other than GP?
Well, I think that about covers it. I may regret saying this, but all of this came about because of one game... Blackout: Bring The Color Back. I am soooo hooked on that game. I first played it at Dave & Busters, and was hooked within minutes. I think I sat there playing it for a good 45 minutes. Then I found it on Apple's App Store. Now, I need it on the KF. If I could download this one game from GP, I would be ecstatic. LOL... can't believe I admitted that.
Thanks in advance.