[ROM] Beanstalk [May23+27] 24a baseband, fantastic battery life, dr87 4.4.2 sources

Search This thread

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
This ROM has the greatest battery life I've had on any AOSP ROM....I wish it was going to be kept updated, would love to see a 4.4.3 build of this but anyway thanks for sharing this great piece of work with us

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ishyesh

Jun 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't you worry. I'm in the process of forking BeanStalk to update it. My first try will be the new ThemeChooser engine. I'm just trying to get my build computer up and running and I'll be soon compiling/modifying away! I can't give a timeline, but expect something to drop in the next week or so! And always, I flash it on my own personal vs980 first and try it out, before handing it off to you guys [save for the Linaro build].

Please do tell me which features from other ROMs you want!

ishyesh

Jun 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Thats the risk of flashing. Anything can happen, but back to the beanstalk rom. I had another scare just like i did with testing the carbonRom. I installed beanstalks newest build and when it went to reboot i seen the lg screen and then it just went grey like it was turning off but embedding the icon into the screen. I held down the power button and it reboot fine after words. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Yeah I've been trying to pin that down...log files don't have anything unusual to offer. I've noticed that a reboot often doesn't fix that, but a hard shutdown followed by a power-on resolves that. This problem seems to be beyond my knowledge, but that's the challenge of doing this!

Reactions: 360Razir

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
Don't you worry. I'm in the process of forking BeanStalk to update it. My first try will be the new ThemeChooser engine. I'm just trying to get my build computer up and running and I'll be soon compiling/modifying away! I can't give a timeline, but expect something to drop in the next week or so! And always, I flash it on my own personal vs980 first and try it out, before handing it off to you guys [save for the Linaro build].

Please do tell me which features from other ROMs you want!

That is music to my ears! Cannot wait, as for features I personally like the new theme chooser as you mentioned but I also like two features that I only seem to find in Vanir (shout out to vanir team) and that is left clock alignment and "low profile mode"... I love those two features especially low profile, I love how it dims all notifications and the nav buttons...I don't know it such feature exists but something like a " sleep mode " would be awesome too, like how a PC can be sort of powered off so it saves battery but its still actually powered on.

yoderz

Jan 1, 2012
PDX
Is anyone else unable to use Navigation in Google Maps? I get a quick GPS lock, but as soon as I click on Navigate it will freeze. Everything else works flawlessly.

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
I saw on Facebook that the dev of Beanstalk has picked up development again, he's in the process of updating to 4.4.3 and aiming for a Weds release to updates to his github.

ishyesh

Jun 15, 2010
Boston, MA
It was quite nice that the Beanstalk is being updated now. I'll be sure to post updates as they trickle through. As for forking Beanstalk to keep it updated.....well that's a moot point now isn't it :) If I have the time I'll make a custom ROM eventually in the future...but for the time being, rest assured that I'm a flash and update -o-holic like you all are so I'll be sure to post every new build I compile :)

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

orkillakilla

May 10, 2010
Tennessee
The newest update is awesome. First aosp ROM that isn't official CM that is stable on my phone. No random reboots or freezing and no massive battery drain. Great job!!

flyinjoe13

Dec 23, 2010
Which Gapps version am I supposed to use with this ROM. I see it is based on 4.4.2, but the link to the Gapps provided on the first page only has Gapps for 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.

Thanks....

S

simple_fear85

There are still 4.4.2 falls there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Beanstalk-Presentation.png

I am proud to present to you BeanStalk. This is a build composed off of the CM builds and has a lot of added alot of features on top of it. So you get speed, stability, and ultra customization ability. Many of the additional code additions came from slim ROM and also Derteufels build and have been modified to work with my current setup. A huge thanks to Derteufel and the Slim ROM guys for their work and dedication. Also a big thanks to everyone involved with CM as that is the building stone in this project. Thanks to skyliner33v for the bootanimation and upcoming wallpapers!

Features.png

• CM based
    • Lockscreen background options (Color fill, Custom image, Transparent)
    • Customizable Lockscreen text color
    • Lockscreen rotation
    • Option to enable all widgets
    • Minimize lockscreen challange
    • Use widget carousel
    • Slider Shortcuts
    • Static Lockscreen shortcuts
    • Lockscreen button actions
    • LCD Density
    • Scroll elasticity options
    • Default App grip option
    • Custom Carrier label
    • Dual Pane options
    • Customizable boot animation (off, default, set your own bootanimation)
    • Custom original BeanStalk Wallpapers by skyliner33v
    • Custom BeanStalk bootanimation by skyliner33v
    • Status bar color and transparency
    • Clock and date options which includes color, location, style
    • Signal Styles which include color and text instead of icons, alternate GB signal layout, hide signal icons
    • Breathing SMS option
    • Battery styles - Includes specific colors and styles. Also includes battery bar
    • Do not disturb option
    • Show notification count
    • Pie controls (need to have lockscreen background set to something other then default to work correctly (dont ask why) )
    • Fully customizable navigation bar - Includes style, layout, color, nav rings, pretty much everything you can think of.
    • Quick settings color settings, tiles per row, Quick pulldown, text color
    • Notification shortcuts, behaviour, drawer style (customizable colors), toggle colors, longpress quicksettings icon to enable/disable toggles
    • Keyboard and input method options which include disable full screen keyboard and auto rotate
    • Kil app back button with customizable timeout values
    • High end graphic effects option
    • option to disable/enable vibrate on expand for notifications alerts
    • Low battery warning customizable options
    • Recents RAM bar fully customizable with color styles
    • Clock widget for LockClock including extra options to fully customize every feature of the lockclock
    • Build.prop MOD options to enable/disable tweaks as preferred
    • Less frequent Notification sounds options
    • CRT screen off/on options to specify how the animation shows
    • Enable/disable wake up on charge option
    • Superuser fully embedded into the build and accessed from settings menu
    • CM Performance options and features
    • About BeanStalk option with links to github source and facebook for beanstalk. Also links to my twitter and donate.
    • insane amount of edits/tweaks/fixes to make this build absolutely fly
    • option to use a fully themable MMS packages. You can access from mms - settings - theme settings
    • Numerous other options hidding throughout the build

Bugs.png

*Titanium backup lag like most G2 kitkat roms
    *Not a bug just don't want it mentioned - No cm cLock, for some reason that app on this phone can do a battery drain in 3 hours

Gapps.png

See download link below

BeanStalk 4.4.247 - 2/11/2014
    Added PIE - All credit to slimrom devs
    Added BS Platlogo (thanks skyliner for drawables)
    Port SmoothProgressBar: User Custom ProgressBar Setting - thanks hany
    Cleaned up display settings
    Large recents
    recents background color
    Fixed tablet menus
    Improve apps ops detail screen
    Added chameleon Gesture anywhere (thanks hany for the port job)
    Added back xposed app
    Add option to access xposed from settings - Thanks Hany
    * Fixed settings app languages issues
    * Day and week on data cycle option
    * Super advanced custom toggle
    * Navbar and dpi improvements
    * Audio Themes! (Please visit the omni audio themes page for instructions and sound packs!)
    * Custom notification header
    * Breathing icons (mms, missed call, voicemail)
    * Lockscreen Notifications!
    * Multi window! (Still a WIP, but much improved from 4.3 implementation. If you open an app in multi window mode, you need to either close out of the app or remove it from recents history or it will keep the multi window form. Also, Multi window option is disabled when HALO is active to avoid issues with HALO layout)
    * dont disable lockscreen widgets on low memory devices
    * Made HALO window moveable and scaleable
    * Add Dialer suggestions and reverse lookup
    * lights: Add music light support
    * Numerous improvements throughout the build
    * I know there are a ton of additions and features i forgot to mention

Installation.png

• Make sure you are rooted with a custom recovery
    • Download both the BeanStalk build and the latest GAPPs package.
    • Boot into recovery
    • Perform a FULL factory wipe and wipe /system and dalvik cache as a precaution
    • Flash BeanStalk build
    • Flash GAPPs package
    • Reboot

After installation go to Settings - Performance - Memory Management - Tick " Allow purging of assets " and reboot.
      This is only necessary until I get a memory leak bug figured out.
      Fixed

Source.png

Beanstalk source can be found HERE
    Kernel Source
    Thanks to @scott.hart.bti who created beanstalk rom​

Thanks to Scott.Hart.Bti, dr87, and JackpotCalvin! This ROM uses the 4.4.2 sources that dr87 graciously compiled [non-computing definition] for us all!

The SurfaceFlinger excessive CPU drain bug is gone, the life on this version is fantastic! Screenshots:

Screenshot_2014-05-27-09-39-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-09-40-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-09-58-20_2.png

Download ROM here: note some have had issues with the panel getting PHYSICALLY damaged with this ROM. Please read the entire thread before you decide to flash!
    BeanStalk-4.4.285-20140523-vs980.zip
    BeanStalk-4.4.285-20140527-vs980.zip

Recommended GApps:
    PA Gapps

Edit: I was trying to take a video of Riley in Call of Duty Ghosts (he's so adorable!) and noticed the video wasn't working. I've posted a build that uses the newest proprietary blobs and it seems to be fixed. If you experience data connection issues, rebooting twice or three times seems to work.
    You know, I've been compiling my own ROM for ages and I finally decided to post to XDA. Reason is that I knew others wanted this ROM but the previous version's battery issue was a deal killer. It's quite discouraging to state the OP is reckless in keeping the links alive. I'm glad the community is very understanding of the risks of flashing your phone with custom firmware. And that we continue to give constructive feedback to help improve the quality of our experience.

I've flashed roms plenty of times but am not the smartest guy when it comes to roms and all the terminology and stuff. I was on Beanstalk from before and I did a full wipe and flashed this version of Beanstalk but I can't get any sound to work nor does video work. Any ideas?

Also, if someone wouldn't mind explaining the 12b and 24a thing to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

VS98012B or VS98024A have 39-40 partitions. KDZ or TOT replaces about 20 of these which includes modem.bin. This modem.bin is also known as baseband, radio, or modem. The older G2 has 12B radio (even older G2 has 10B or 11A radios) while the newer G2 has 24A radio. The other partitions between the 2 varieties are also different like their bootstacks. Thus, for you to use 24A based ROMs you'll need both the 24A radio and 24A bootstack. 12B based ROMS will need 12B radio but will work on 24A or 12B bootstack (backward compatibility of 24A). The wrong radio won't allow your phone to have cellular service or correct gyro rotation, but it'll work as a fancy WiFi only tablet stuck on portrait mode. Flashing ROMs replaces basically cache, data, system, dalvik-cache, boot(stack), efs1, efs2 (or backed up by recovery programs like TWRP, CWM, or Philz).

Here is a few partitions ripped from a KDZ file by simon_lefisch: https://app.box.com/s/59vjhsadeh9f3m15ham0 to show you a few important partitions (there are more that we can't easily access but DEVS can)

ef1 and ef2 partions are important in booting your phone.

Laf.bin file affect download mode which is important in KDZ or TOT to restore your phone back to stock to "start over" or for "warranty repair" as it'll hide rooting or all customizations (just like phone came out of Verizon store).
    How is that coming along?

It compiles if I give it the latest Linaro toolchain, however, I didn't give it a go on my phone. Link is here if you want to try:

Linaro-Beanstalk, 4.4.2 sources, synced with d87 sources as of 5/28,
    http://web.mit.edu/ispatel/www/Linaro_BeanStalk-4.4.285-20140528-vs980_2.zip
    It was quite nice that the Beanstalk is being updated now. I'll be sure to post updates as they trickle through. As for forking Beanstalk to keep it updated.....well that's a moot point now isn't it :) If I have the time I'll make a custom ROM eventually in the future...but for the time being, rest assured that I'm a flash and update -o-holic like you all are so I'll be sure to post every new build I compile :)