[MOD] Kev's Performance Tweaks v.2.0.3 ~~~ UPDATE: 10/23/2014 ~~~

Search This thread

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
DEVELOPMENT HAS STOPPED FOR THIS AS I NO LINGER HAVE THIS DEVICE​

Not that it really needs it, the I337 on NC1 is a beast in terms of phones...

Confirmed Roms:
GoldenEye 34 - 37
PhoeniX 9+
CarHD 28+
CarHD 2.2
Deadly Venom(s)
Maple Leaf

Let me know what roms you are using this on so I can add to this list please...

Make sure the rom you are on has the latest busybox installed.

Flash in Safestrap, or whatever recovery you have, and it'll do the rest. This should work any Samaung device that are Android 2.3 and up, I only have devices that are HoneyComb and up, and it's been tested on them, and works great on them... TEST and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

What does it do Kev?

1. Vacuum's SQLite every 4 days
  2. Zip-Aligns all User Data APK's every 3 days (if you choose)
  3. Cleans Caches, Logs, Tombstones, etc... every week
  4. Tweaks Your systems I/O
  5. Makes your Mobile and Wifi Networks faster
  6. Bumps your Wifi scan to every 300 seconds (battery saver)
  7. Enables some Dalvik VM Flags to optimize the loading and executing of all your apps
  8. Enables Dalvik to execute in the Java JIT
  9. Bumps your Dalvik Heaps a tad (let's face it... we got 2G of RAM, so why not?)
  10. Moves your Dalvik to your /cache partition, leaving you a bit more room for more apps
  11. Removes ext4 Journalism on your internal system storage (big time performance boost)
  12. Forces your Launcher into Memory (yes this will take up a bit more RAM, however, your launcher will be much more responsive)
  13. Remounts your devices system, data, and cache partitions explicitly, no updating timestamps, and asyncronous I/O calls
  14. Tweaks your External SD Card read-ahead
  15. Calibrates your Battery if it needs it
  16. De-Odexs a rom (provided you still have the classes.dex files in your APKs... for now)
  17. Enables true init.d support to devices that are bootloader locked
  18. De-Bloats Galaxy S4 Devices of Samsung, GApps, and AT&T Bloatware (gives you the choice of what to remove, and will only work for the S4)
  19. Logs most actions to /sdcard

But, why do I need it Kev?
In all honesty, you probably don't. Personally I wanted a little more oomph outta my device, so here we are... Not that there's anything wrong with the default, but me being on a locked bootload, I don't get the luxury of being able to flash custom kernels to suit most of these needs :)

This is awesome Kev, how can I thank you enough?
:)
Hit the thanks button, or use my Copy referral link in my signature to get us both some extra cloud space.

Can I run it manually?
Sure. Grab a terminal emulator and type the following.
Code:
su
sh /system/etc/init.d/10KevsTweaks
sh /system/etc/init.d/11KevsDalvikMover
sh /system/etc/init.d/12KevsZipAligner

As with any mod you do to your device, make sure you make a full backup before you do anything, and as always... YOUR DEVICE'S WARRANTY IS NOW VOID
You may use this, if you use it on a device other than a Samsung, make sure you edit the init.d script to match your devices '/system', '/data', and '/cache' partitions

UPDATE 6/21/2014:
- Moved journaling removal to install script... need to have system, data, and cache unmounted in order to do this
- Added async flag to re-mount... considerable I/O boost

UPDATE 6/21/2014 - 2:
- Fixed Zip Aligner Binary, and script
- Changed permissions issue

UPDATE 6/22/2014:
- Removed the tune2fs installer. This is only needed during the install, to remove the journaling...
- Changed more permissions issue
- Enabled the check for Busybox

UPDATE 6/25/2014: - Version 1.5.6
- Added in Odexer for De-Odexed Roms (seperate version)
- - Performs a check prior to doing this
- - Odexes, de-classes.dex's, and zipaligns

UPDATE 7/3/2014: - Version 1.6.2
- Removed Odexer for now
- Removed build.prop tweaks from the init.d script for now
- - Found that they were best added prior to the script running (see below code)
- Fixed Zipalign issue resetting permissions on

UPDATE 7/3/2014 (part durr): - Version 1.7.2
- Added Back Odexer
- - zipaligns when completed
- Added classes.dex(er) - NOTE: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR KITKAT
- Added back build.prop tweaks
- Added Aroma Installer
- - Choice to Odex or not
- - Choice to Modify build.prop or not
- - Choice to de-classes.dex
- - Choice to remove ext4 Journaling (remounter)
- - Please folks, if you have any doubts... you can hit NO to any of the choices in the installer :)

UPDATE 7/7/2014: - Version 1.7.4
- Added option to move your dalvik-cache to your /cache partition NOTE: this may take a couple reboots.
- Added option to zip-align your data/apps

UPDATE 7/15/2014: - Version 1.8.1
- Fixed my ifelse statements, and now everything actually flashes
- Added in a check for init.d support. If it does not exist the installer will install it. :)

UPDATE 7/23/2014: - Version 1.8.2
- Added in a de-odexer
- - Do not select this option if you have removed the classes.dex files from your roms APK's if you are pre-odexed.
- - If you are on KitKat you are pretty safe in using this, as classes.dex still exist

UPDATE 7/28/2014: - Version 1.8.3
- Added in @SkywalkerZ's Smart De-Bloater
- - This is only for the S4... and yes, there are checks in place to make sure
- - Gives you the choice to remove all sorts of bloatware from Samsung, Google, and AT&T
- - Head over to @SkywalkerZ's thread and make sure give him proper props for this, and for letting me include it in here
- Fixed init.d support for those of us on locked bootloaders

UPDATE 7/29/2014: - Version 1.8.4
- Added a missing ro.product.model to check for the debloater.
- - If anyone finds that the de-bloater either errors or does not fire up on their S4 can you let me know what the value is of your build.prop ro.product.model is so I can add it :)

UPDATE 8/27/2014: - Version 1.8.6
- Fixed remounting partitions, and tweaks

UPDATE 8/29/2014: - Version 1.8.8
- Fixed more remounting partitions
- Fixed De-Bloater not De-bloating some apps
- Fixed Date and Version in the Installer ;)

UPDATE 8/30/2014: - Version 1.9.0
- Finally Fixed more remounting partitions

UPDATE 10/12/2014: - Version 2.0.0
- Updated Bash binary to latest
- - To cure the Shellshock Hack
- Fixed mount points for the Note 3
- - Will now actually mount them ;), and fix on both S4 and Note 3
- - KevsTweaks remounter modified for this as well
- Rebuilt the build.prop modifier
- - No longer checks for existing values, simply appends to end of file
- - - Since duplicates don't matter much, all this will do is add a little chunk to your build.prop file if you flash this option more than once

UPDATE 10/12/2014: - Version 2.0.1
- Removed de-bloater due to issues on my Note 3

UPDATE 10/23/2014: - Version 2.0.3
- Put de-bloater back in for my S4 Family :)
- Fixed build.prop modifier (FINALLY!!!)
- - Backs up original
- - - If your boot hangs on you after about 5 minutes, reboot into recovery, delete /system/build.prop and rename /system/build.prop.bak to /system/build.prop
- Added latest sqlite3 binary

UPDATE 10/23/2014 - Part Duh: - Version 2.1.0

UPDATE 10/27/2014 - Part Duh: - Version 2.0.3n
- Removed De-Bloater for Note Version

If you encounter any errors during or after the install, please save the Log. It's the hidden button right next to the Finish button in the installer. Once saved, PM it to me.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make a backup of your system before installing this, as it can bork your device! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED​

Thanks Section :) @Apoplectic1 @juju2011, @Vivek_Neel, @SkywalkerZ

DOWNLOAD SECTION:
ALL N VERSION ARE FOR THE NOTE 3
Primary: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=19934
Mirror: http://o7t.in/dl/mine/Kevs.Tweaks/

Last edited:

Apoplectic1

Aug 19, 2012
Orlando
Gonna download it and give it a whirl. I'll update you when I get it up and running.

UPDATE: It seems to be working great on my rig. it definitely seems to be more quickly responsive, and I do notice an increase of speed while using a browser.

I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpirnie

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Gonna download it and give it a whirl. I'll update you when I get it up and running.

UPDATE: It seems to be working great on my rig. it definitely seems to be more quickly responsive, and I do notice an increase of speed while using a browser.

I like it.
Thanks! What r u using it on?

Rockin out with my Smartly Golden Eye. (Big thanks to @iB4STiD @ted77usa @Venom0642 @rebel1699 @Maribou @muniz_ri) ~ Free 20G Cloud from Barracuda: http://copy.com/?r=vitraF

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
An AT&T i337 NC1 with Goldeneye 34 with the GoogyMax kernel.

It also seems to have cut boot times WAY down too.
Sweet. Unfortunately i got my device at mk2... and then it instantly ota'd to nb1 so im stuck with stock kernels for now...

Id love to be able to flash Googy in this pig. LOL

Rockin out with my Smartly Golden Eye. (Big thanks to @iB4STiD @ted77usa @Venom0642 @rebel1699 @Maribou @muniz_ri) ~ Free 20G Cloud from Barracuda: http://copy.com/?r=vitraF

VICIOUSVIC1

Jul 30, 2012
I am on Amdl and on AOSP custom ROM AICP 4.4.4 will it work?

Sent from my jflte using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Reactions: VICIOUSVIC1

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
best thing I can say is try and report back yur findings...

its made on and for the galaxy s4

its only because i cant run cw ge or aosp roms that i say this

galaxyuser88

Dec 22, 2010
On These Forums.
Hey Kevp , great work btw. I have a couple of questions with this.

1. How will this work with venom 2.2.2 rom?

2. Will it undo anything the devloper had done in his/her rom?

3. also how does this affected the internal memory/storage? The only reason i ask, is for i was on one of the infamous roms that had mods like this and the dev had stated that with the constant read write to the memory/card will cut the life of the memory/card down, but then he says that by the time this happens most people will be upgrading to a new phone. Unfortunatlly I would not care for i was one of those peeps that kept getting the newest phone out there. But since times have gotten tough, I have had to cut out the needless spending- I rather have a roof over my head then a new phone every 2-4 months. LOL

Thanks to you and everyone that works hard in helping and giving us these great rom-kernel-recovery-apps etc.. You folks are what make blowing things up fun. :victory:

Last edited:

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Hey Kevp , great work btw. I have a couple of questions with this.

1. How will this work with venom 2.2.2 rom?

2. Will it undo anything the devloper had done in his/her rom?

3. also how does this affected the internal memory/storage? The only reason i ask, is for i was on one of the infamous roms that had mods like this and the dev had stated that with the constant read write to the memory/card will cut the life of the memory/card down, but then he says that by the time this happens most people will be upgrading to a new phone. Unfortunatlly I would not care for i was one of those peeps that kept getting the newest phone out there. But since times have gotten tough, I have had to cut out the needless spending- I rather have a roof over my head then a new phone every 2-4 months. LOL

Thanks to you and everyone that works hard in helping and giving us these great rom-kernel-recovery-apps etc.. You folks are what make blowing things up fun. :victory:

Hey bud... good to see ya around :) I feel that pain times certainly r tough.

This doesnt make any changes to yur existing files, so it should work on any s4 (its programmed to tweak our devices system, data, and cache partitions for optimal performance)

it does install 3 files. tune2fs for the journaling tweak... (next update ill delete this because it only runs during the install... where its needed), a zipalign binary, and my init.d script to do all the work.

basically by getting rid of journaling on the mounts what we are doing is preventing the device from keeping track of and logging I/O errors... with platter drives this can be a useful feature but with NAND its useless.

also the asyncheonous writing/reading helps speed things along by taking advantage of multi-core devices like ours by running multiple I/O tasks at the same time rather than forcing each task to wait until the previous one is completed.

on multi-user systems like a server I wouldnt do this... but on a phone? its only one user at a time so... why not make the best of it :)

It shouldnt cut the life at all. really on NAND devices the life is only cut short by writes to the disk... and this number is in the billions so...

I have a 1st generation SSD in one of my machines here at home... been in it since they came out so we're lookin at what 6 years? i do tgis same thing with that since my pc is a linux box... and have been sunce I got it.

ext4 is a great filesystem :D

Reactions: galaxyuser88

galaxyuser88

Dec 22, 2010
On These Forums.
Great. Thanks for the quick reply.

I will download and give it a shot. I'll post back with my findings. I really need to get back into the swing of modded and writing code again. But my a.d.d. really hates sitting still for long periods of time. :silly:

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Great. Thanks for the quick reply.

I will download and give it a shot. I'll post back with my findings. I really need to get back into the swing of modded and writing code again. But my a.d.d. really hates sitting still for long periods of time. :silly:
heehee.. thats why i have multiple computers with multiple screens... i call it ADD, but my therapist calls it multitasking LMAO

Apoplectic1

Aug 19, 2012
Orlando

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DEVELOPMENT HAS STOPPED FOR THIS AS I NO LINGER HAVE THIS DEVICE​

Not that it really needs it, the I337 on NC1 is a beast in terms of phones...

Confirmed Roms:
    GoldenEye 34 - 37
    PhoeniX 9+
    CarHD 28+
    CarHD 2.2
    Deadly Venom(s)
    Maple Leaf

Let me know what roms you are using this on so I can add to this list please...

Make sure the rom you are on has the latest busybox installed.

Flash in Safestrap, or whatever recovery you have, and it'll do the rest. This should work any Samaung device that are Android 2.3 and up, I only have devices that are HoneyComb and up, and it's been tested on them, and works great on them... TEST and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

What does it do Kev?

1. Vacuum's SQLite every 4 days
    2. Zip-Aligns all User Data APK's every 3 days (if you choose)
    3. Cleans Caches, Logs, Tombstones, etc... every week
    4. Tweaks Your systems I/O
    5. Makes your Mobile and Wifi Networks faster
    6. Bumps your Wifi scan to every 300 seconds (battery saver)
    7. Enables some Dalvik VM Flags to optimize the loading and executing of all your apps
    8. Enables Dalvik to execute in the Java JIT
    9. Bumps your Dalvik Heaps a tad (let's face it... we got 2G of RAM, so why not?)
    10. Moves your Dalvik to your /cache partition, leaving you a bit more room for more apps
    11. Removes ext4 Journalism on your internal system storage (big time performance boost)
    12. Forces your Launcher into Memory (yes this will take up a bit more RAM, however, your launcher will be much more responsive)
    13. Remounts your devices system, data, and cache partitions explicitly, no updating timestamps, and asyncronous I/O calls
    14. Tweaks your External SD Card read-ahead
    15. Calibrates your Battery if it needs it
    16. De-Odexs a rom (provided you still have the classes.dex files in your APKs... for now)
    17. Enables true init.d support to devices that are bootloader locked
    18. De-Bloats Galaxy S4 Devices of Samsung, GApps, and AT&T Bloatware (gives you the choice of what to remove, and will only work for the S4)
    19. Logs most actions to /sdcard

But, why do I need it Kev?
    In all honesty, you probably don't. Personally I wanted a little more oomph outta my device, so here we are... Not that there's anything wrong with the default, but me being on a locked bootload, I don't get the luxury of being able to flash custom kernels to suit most of these needs :)

This is awesome Kev, how can I thank you enough?
    :)
    Hit the thanks button, or use my Copy referral link in my signature to get us both some extra cloud space.

Can I run it manually?
    Sure. Grab a terminal emulator and type the following.
    Code:
    su
    sh /system/etc/init.d/10KevsTweaks
    sh /system/etc/init.d/11KevsDalvikMover
    sh /system/etc/init.d/12KevsZipAligner

As with any mod you do to your device, make sure you make a full backup before you do anything, and as always... YOUR DEVICE'S WARRANTY IS NOW VOID
    You may use this, if you use it on a device other than a Samsung, make sure you edit the init.d script to match your devices '/system', '/data', and '/cache' partitions

UPDATE 6/21/2014:
    - Moved journaling removal to install script... need to have system, data, and cache unmounted in order to do this
    - Added async flag to re-mount... considerable I/O boost

UPDATE 6/21/2014 - 2:
    - Fixed Zip Aligner Binary, and script
    - Changed permissions issue

UPDATE 6/22/2014:
    - Removed the tune2fs installer. This is only needed during the install, to remove the journaling...
    - Changed more permissions issue
    - Enabled the check for Busybox

UPDATE 6/25/2014: - Version 1.5.6
    - Added in Odexer for De-Odexed Roms (seperate version)
    - - Performs a check prior to doing this
    - - Odexes, de-classes.dex's, and zipaligns

UPDATE 7/3/2014: - Version 1.6.2
    - Removed Odexer for now
    - Removed build.prop tweaks from the init.d script for now
    - - Found that they were best added prior to the script running (see below code)
    - Fixed Zipalign issue resetting permissions on

UPDATE 7/3/2014 (part durr): - Version 1.7.2
    - Added Back Odexer
    - - zipaligns when completed
    - Added classes.dex(er) - NOTE: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR KITKAT
    - Added back build.prop tweaks
    - Added Aroma Installer
    - - Choice to Odex or not
    - - Choice to Modify build.prop or not
    - - Choice to de-classes.dex
    - - Choice to remove ext4 Journaling (remounter)
    - - Please folks, if you have any doubts... you can hit NO to any of the choices in the installer :)

UPDATE 7/7/2014: - Version 1.7.4
    - Added option to move your dalvik-cache to your /cache partition NOTE: this may take a couple reboots.
    - Added option to zip-align your data/apps

UPDATE 7/15/2014: - Version 1.8.1
    - Fixed my ifelse statements, and now everything actually flashes
    - Added in a check for init.d support. If it does not exist the installer will install it. :)

UPDATE 7/23/2014: - Version 1.8.2
    - Added in a de-odexer
    - - Do not select this option if you have removed the classes.dex files from your roms APK's if you are pre-odexed.
    - - If you are on KitKat you are pretty safe in using this, as classes.dex still exist

UPDATE 7/28/2014: - Version 1.8.3
    - Added in @SkywalkerZ's Smart De-Bloater
    - - This is only for the S4... and yes, there are checks in place to make sure
    - - Gives you the choice to remove all sorts of bloatware from Samsung, Google, and AT&T
    - - Head over to @SkywalkerZ's thread and make sure give him proper props for this, and for letting me include it in here
    - Fixed init.d support for those of us on locked bootloaders

UPDATE 7/29/2014: - Version 1.8.4
    - Added a missing ro.product.model to check for the debloater.
    - - If anyone finds that the de-bloater either errors or does not fire up on their S4 can you let me know what the value is of your build.prop ro.product.model is so I can add it :)

UPDATE 8/27/2014: - Version 1.8.6
    - Fixed remounting partitions, and tweaks

UPDATE 8/29/2014: - Version 1.8.8
    - Fixed more remounting partitions
    - Fixed De-Bloater not De-bloating some apps

UPDATE 8/30/2014: - Version 1.9.0
    - Finally Fixed more remounting partitions

UPDATE 10/12/2014: - Version 2.0.0
    - Updated Bash binary to latest
    - - To cure the Shellshock Hack
    - Fixed mount points for the Note 3
    - - Will now actually mount them ;), and fix on both S4 and Note 3
    - - KevsTweaks remounter modified for this as well
    - Rebuilt the build.prop modifier
    - - No longer checks for existing values, simply appends to end of file
    - - - Since duplicates don't matter much, all this will do is add a little chunk to your build.prop file if you flash this option more than once

UPDATE 10/12/2014: - Version 2.0.1
    - Removed de-bloater due to issues on my Note 3

UPDATE 10/23/2014: - Version 2.0.3
    - Put de-bloater back in for my S4 Family :)
    - - Backs up original
    - - - If your boot hangs on you after about 5 minutes, reboot into recovery, delete /system/build.prop and rename /system/build.prop.bak to /system/build.prop
    - Added latest sqlite3 binary

UPDATE 10/23/2014 - Part Duh: - Version 2.1.0

UPDATE 10/27/2014 - Part Duh: - Version 2.0.3n
    - Removed De-Bloater for Note Version

If you encounter any errors during or after the install, please save the Log. It's the hidden button right next to the Finish button in the installer. Once saved, PM it to me.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make a backup of your system before installing this, as it can bork your device! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED​

Thanks Section :) @Apoplectic1 @juju2011, @Vivek_Neel, @SkywalkerZ

DOWNLOAD SECTION:
    ALL N VERSION ARE FOR THE NOTE 3
    Primary: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=19934
    Mirror: http://o7t.in/dl/mine/Kevs.Tweaks/
    Got a new update. Finally got the journaling removed... what a nightmare that was.

since i cant upload it thru tapatalk... ill li k a mirror in the OP
    just updated op to v2.0.0

I no longer have an s4 to test it with but it flashes and works great on my Note 3.

This DOES NOT mean i am stopping dev on it... just means i cant test anymore on the s4
    OP updated, v.1.8.1 is now out!
    No I figured it out I was deleting class. Dex when I wasn't supposed to

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app
    yeah... I got that part to work on a kitkat rom once... but it was a nightmare of a mistake :)

not exactly sure why... but kitkat likes the classes.dex to stay...

another addition to the next update... a way to de-odex a previously odexed rom... dont know if Ill make it just delete the odex files in batch... or attempt a true de-odex yet tho...