How limited is the HD 8.9?

Search This thread

rawfa

Jan 2, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Hi guys,

Since this is the only HD 8.9 subforum I´ve decided to post in here, but if I should´ve posted else where, please feel free to move my thread.

I´d like to know how limited is the HD 8.9 and it comes to installing apps. My most used apps are SSL launcher, Gmail, MX Player, ES Explorer, Folder Player and Chrome. Can these be installed on the HD 8.9? Can I play videos with MX Player and view them on an HDTV via hdmi? I watch mkv, avi, dvx, etc....if I´m able to instal MX Player I should not have any issues playing back these files, right?

aaron.a

Dec 24, 2010
You can root and install play. I found a chrome apk online and use it daily. Most play apps that I've tried never have any problems. Currents for example will fc on sign in but everything else I've tried works.

This will probably get moved to q&a but its not a big deal. We've been using the 7in forums for now as a universal fire HD spot

Gmail and Chrome do absolutely work. Haven't tried mx yet or any of the others. Root explorer works.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

PsychoCemia

Jul 27, 2010
Hi guys,

Since this is the only HD 8.9 subforum I´ve decided to post in here, but if I should´ve posted else where, please feel free to move my thread.

I´d like to know how limited is the HD 8.9 and it comes to installing apps. My most used apps are SSL launcher, Gmail, MX Player, ES Explorer, Folder Player and Chrome. Can these be installed on the HD 8.9? Can I play videos with MX Player and view them on an HDTV via hdmi? I watch mkv, avi, dvx, etc....if I´m able to instal MX Player I should not have any issues playing back these files, right?

Without root, I had MX Player, Gmail, and ES Explorer installed from Amazon market for free, and Chrome was sideloaded from an apk I found online.

With root, I was able to get Google Play store working (and all the root stuff for ES Explorer, etc.). Haven't tried Folder Player or SSL Launcher, but Nova launcher works fine.

Reactions: rearview

kls2k

Nov 19, 2011
Hi guys,

I can confirm Gmail, MX player, ES Explorer, Chrome all work fine. (I use ICS stock Browser though)
MX Player supports all the mentioned formats. I haven't tried hdmi output since I lost my adapter.

Without root, I had MX Player, Gmail, and ES Explorer installed from Amazon market for free, and Chrome was sideloaded from an apk I found online.

With root, I was able to get Google Play store working (and all the root stuff for ES Explorer, etc.). Haven't tried Folder Player or SSL Launcher, but Nova launcher works fine.

Do you get any lag in Nova Launcher homescreen on landscape mode?
The scrolling for me is laggy in landscape and smooth in portrait.

TheManiac

Jul 4, 2012
Could someone please make a video or a step by step guide on how to root the kindle fire 8.9 HD not Sony tablet. I tried to root and nothing happen besides a factory reset I would really appreciate if someone can make one or point me towards one. Thank u!

Rooted Evo dead.
Rooted Evo shift dead.
Rooted Galaxy s3 alive and well!

Born2BeMild

Mar 5, 2011
So gmail has to be installed from amazon market to run? Or did i so something wrong with the one downloaded off google play?

Could someone please make a video or a step by step guide on how to root the kindle fire 8.9 HD not Sony tablet. I tried to root and nothing happen besides a factory reset I would really appreciate if someone can make one or point me towards one. Thank u!

Rooted Evo dead.
Rooted Evo shift dead.
Rooted Galaxy s3 alive and well!

To make sure itll work, check if ADB picks it up with a adb devices command

Sent from my KFJWI

Last edited:

dopepope

Nov 11, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I have currents working without root. Just needed to make sure that the google login service apk installed. Only things I haven't been able to get working are talk, gmail (but the built in email manager works extremely well imho) and market. obviously other launchers don't work either.

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com
I have currents working without root. Just needed to make sure that the google login service apk installed. Only things I haven't been able to get working are talk, gmail (but the built in email manager works extremely well imho) and market. obviously other launchers don't work either.

Talk, Gmail, Market, and other Launchers work for me. If you haven't, look up the tutorial for how to install the Play store. I just installed everything else from that and they worked fine.

qw3rty3

Mar 15, 2009
MX Player constantly closes. It works great on my galaxy nexus but doesn't work on my kindle.

I had to convert movies to mp4 and play them in the native player.

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
uploadfromtaptalk1358907003418.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1358906990134.jpg

It's a great device,

KFHD 8.9 (root & playstore) - XT912 - HTC Nexus ONE - GT3113 - MID7048

fBx

Aug 3, 2008
Thinking about an android tablet lately, my brother got a galaxy tab 2 which i like but the display resolution is a bit too low for me. Now the Kindle Fire 8.9 seems quite nice, is it with a bit of android and rooting knowledge possible to make almost anything work like on any other tablet?

lp894

Nov 26, 2007
Thinking about an android tablet lately, my brother got a galaxy tab 2 which i like but the display resolution is a bit too low for me. Now the Kindle Fire 8.9 seems quite nice, is it with a bit of android and rooting knowledge possible to make almost anything work like on any other tablet?

I'd say yes...here's what I did:

1 - Rooted my tablet
2 - Installed Gapps(googleservicesframework, accountsandsyncsettings, googleloginservices, play store, gmail, etc)
3 - Installed Market Helper
4 - Installed Titanium Backup(paid version)
5 - Installed launcher I wanted
6 - Uninstalled default launcher plus TONS of other bloatware

It took a little bit of time to do, but it was definitely worth it at the end of the day.

Out of the box(and other ppl may have different experiences) but I was only pulling about 6500 on Antutu, now it's up to 9300 Antutu Benchmark, and 2700 on Quadrant. That's without tweaks installed, just rooted and bloatware removed...and remember this is on ICS 4.0.4...when I was running CM10.1 4.2.2 I was pulling about 10,500 for my Antutu. The N7 being a quad core averages aaround 12,000...I think that's pretty good. Once CM10.1 gets Audio, I COMPLETELY plan on using it as a daily driver. It's just...better. 8.9" screen is the perfect size for me...I love it.

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
Out of the box(and other ppl may have different experiences) but I was only pulling about 6500 on Antutu, now it's up to 9300 Antutu Benchmark, and 2700 on Quadrant. That's without tweaks installed, just rooted and bloatware removed...and remember this is on ICS 4.0.4...when I was running CM10.1 4.2.2 I was pulling about 10,500 for my Antutu. The N7 being a quad core averages aaround 12,000...I think that's pretty good. Once CM10.1 gets Audio, I COMPLETELY plan on using it as a daily driver. It's just...better. 8.9" screen is the perfect size for me...I love it.
Antutu on stock is between 9500 and 9700. Your 6500 must be a typo.

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
no sir...6500 out the box. couldn't figure out why either
You got 6500 on stock because the antutu version you get from the amazon store is ancient compared to the current one you get from the play store. You need to use the same version to compare scores.

lp894

Nov 26, 2007
let me rephrase...stock+root+ apps. first app I downloaded was antutu from the play market. I kid you not, I was pulling 6500...like i said, I'm not sure why. I was only getting around 1600 for processor vs 3200-3500 I get now. Almost as if one of the cores wasn't enabled

kettlecorn

Nov 17, 2010
www.kindlefirecases.net
Why is there no section for Kindle HD 8.9? I want a pure android tablet that is bigger than 7" but less than 10". Does the Kindle HD 8.9 have any roms yet like CM 10 that is FULLY stable? I love the size and form factor as well as the screen of the Kindle HD 8.9" but if it doesn't have android and I can't multitask use google talk and just do general productivity stuff then I will have to go with a 10" or a small nexus 7. I had the nexus 7" and found it a little bit too small. I also had a 10" and found it a little bit too big. I think 8 or 9 would be perfect so it's either this or the ipad mini. Not too big of a fan of IOS so if this can get android, I would be happy.

Can anyone tell me what the status is on custom android roms and whether the Kindle in the past has gotten great development or if good rom dev is sparce? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,