[Q] Weak Wifi Signal

Search This thread
R

random_username_

I read somewhere that a user did get a bad wifi signal when updating to 1.28. That's why i'm asking.

That's how it happened for me too I was updated to 1.29 and all of a sudden ny WiFi signal was horrible what confuses me is the pinching trick improves my signal which makes it a hardware problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

pucciodio

Aug 9, 2010
Ho Chi Minh
same problem here on my One-X though with my desireHD I never had..
I've noticed, even if the indicator displays only the lowest level, I never lose connection or speed.. sometimes the indicator displays the full level, but only when I'm downloading something really heavy.. so I do not care too much about it and I think could be just an issue of the software.. if someone find the cure it would be much better though..

biancka

Jun 8, 2012
Well, thanks to this thread I now know that the WiFi problem that I have with my HOX really is a hardware problem. I tried to get my HOX replaced by HTC but no such luck. I need to send my HOX in to be repaired. I dont want to do that but I guess I dont have a choice.

I will add as much documentation with my HOX as I can but from what I read here (I think from wph) that doesnt really make a huge difference. I guess I better dust off my HTC Desire so I can at least use whatsapp when my HOX is gone to be repaired (yeah right !!).

I do have a question for wph......did you send your phone back to the repaircenter ???

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Well, thanks to this thread I now know that the WiFi problem that I have with my HOX really is a hardware problem. I tried to get my HOX replaced by HTC but no such luck. I need to send my HOX in to be repaired. I dont want to do that but I guess I dont have a choice.

I will add as much documentation with my HOX as I can but from what I read here (I think from wph) that doesnt really make a huge difference. I guess I better dust off my HTC Desire so I can at least use whatsapp when my HOX is gone to be repaired (yeah right !!).

I do have a question for wph......did you send your phone back to the repaircenter ???

wph has posted about the repair centre here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688538

There is more information specifically related to the loose connection fault that you suffer from.

Please join us here :)

audioslim

Oct 7, 2010
Manchester
Goto to WiFi advanced settings and turn off autodisconnect it stops it switching on low WiFi signal. Works well for me

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

twistednl

Goto to WiFi advanced settings and turn off autodisconnect it stops it switching on low WiFi signal. Works well for me

That is a way work work around the actual problem. You still have the weak WiFi connection afterwards. My hox is getting worse but my provider does not want to send it back to HTC but want to repair it. I do not agree with that. The phone is the so called flagship so repair is out of the question.

Last edited:

wph

May 27, 2010

I tried that too, a few weeks ago. Resulted in huge battery drain, around 25% overnight, instead of +/- 5%. And this still doesn't solve the problem.

ICO187

Oct 28, 2009
just got a call confirmation from OPTUS Australia that they are sending a return satchel for my mobile so it can be returned to HTC for fixing or replacement.

will let you know of the out come of it :)

HT24RW
i tried the squeeze test still no wi-fi signal with the cell phone held above my modem :mad:

Last edited:

ICO187

Oct 28, 2009

leecavturbo

Jul 27, 2010
just another happy man who has his wifi and gps back working how it was.
as many thought it was hboot and radios etc after flashing.
but no it was the hardware. opened up 2 blobs of solder and fixed!
gps is rapid even gaining 10 satelites while downstairs in the living room.
:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hardware minor issue

I'd this problem almost two weeks b4. Originally my wifi was very good but one day (two weeks ago) I found my wifi signal weaken and I at first thought that was a software issue because I flash my rom frequently. After that I flashed back the original and even used OTA upgrade. However, nothing helped and the wifi reception was still weak.

Today, I boldly disassemble the back cover of the One X and tested there was a two contact pts that touching the back cover anntena (near the volume adjusting button). I tried using a metal strip to link the two contac pts together and check with wifi analyzer and I found the reception back to very strong. So I'm sure it is contact problem, so I clean all the contact pts and make sure all contacts are good enough to touch the back cover anntena by lifting the contact pts a bit higher.

Now I'm back to my original wifi reception power happily. But one thing, open the back is not easy and sure will give you some scrathes!
    I have the same problem. My HTC Desire has much better WiFi reception than my One X. I tested it with the WiFi Analyzer app and the difference in signal strength is on average 10 DBm, which is quite large difference. For me it makes WiFi unusable on the top floor of my house, where the Desire never had problems. With the One X I have set WiFi to Best WiFi in Settings, but it didn't help much.

What I also noticed are very large variations in signal strength. In a room next to the room where my WiFi router is, I should have strong signal, sometimes I have 2 arcs signal strength in the WiFi icon, but sometimes those bars drop do only the dot in the icon, so a large difference.

edit: as far as I can remember, before the update I didn't notice the WiFi problem, but that might be due to the fact I just got my phone. I haven't unlocked my bootloader so I can't test it myself, so maybe somebody else is willing to test that? It's important to find out, because if WiFi really was better before the OTA update, it means it's just a firmware issue. If not... it can be hardware.
    Would you be so kind to look up what radio version you are running now?

With my old Desire I would just flash a different radio myself, but that's not possible without S-Off.

Yep no bother it is:

Baseband Version:

Build Number:

Hope that helps
    Like I stated above, if I recall correct, the problem wasn't there with the old radio. But I only used it a few days before the update came. If it's just the radio, maybe HTC will fix it with a new update, so it could be with the next OTA update. If the next update doesn't contain a new radio, then the wait will be longer. If the radio from 1.26 was really better, it would be nice to know that for sure. That means I don't have to send my phone back. And there S-Off would be handy, then I could test my premise. If the radio isn't the problem, but it's hardware, then waiting is pointless and we just have bad luck with our devices.
    I have already Twitted at @htc asking them what they are doing about it. I'm @ToddeSwe on Twitter if someone wants to retwitt.

LOOK at my post at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1687233 made a rollcall about this using twitter.

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

Retweet is done ;)
    You also got a new follower :)