No fastboot, TWRP flickering screen

Search This thread

djakolis

May 2, 2014
Hello people,

First of all, I'm not an expert so pardon on that.

I had a MicroSD card in my tablet and it was partitioned using GParted, 2 partitons - fat32 and ext4. I erased the whole tablet with Wipe option in TWRP and installed move2sd.zip.
Anyway... When I pressed Reboot to recovery, tablet restared, showed TWRP and screen went on and off showing TWRP logo, like it was trying to load TWRP. Now... Since I installed that .zip file it might have written some code to use MicroSD card as boot? I reinstalled TWRP by flashing it via fastboot and was able to enter TWRP again.

Now the stupid part... Since it read 0mb on internal card (tablet), I wanted to fix it by formating Data... It didnt do the trick cause /data and other folders couldn't have been found. That's where I restarted the tablet and pressed Wipe data on the screen with 3 icons (RCK, Android, Wipe data)... Since then I only see 2 screens - bootup screen with Asus logo and message: Device is unlock and the next screen is TWRP and it flickers again, goes on and off just as if it was trying to load TWRP.

I cannot reflash recovery cause there is no fastboot?

I just hope this is not an expensive paper...

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Hello people,

First of all, I'm not an expert so pardon on that.

I had a MicroSD card in my tablet and it was partitioned using GParted, 2 partitons - fat32 and ext4. I erased the whole tablet with Wipe option in TWRP and installed move2sd.zip.
Anyway... When I pressed Reboot to recovery, tablet restared, showed TWRP and screen went on and off showing TWRP logo, like it was trying to load TWRP. Now... Since I installed that .zip file it might have written some code to use MicroSD card as boot? I reinstalled TWRP by flashing it via fastboot and was able to enter TWRP again.

Now the stupid part... Since it read 0mb on internal card (tablet), I wanted to fix it by formating Data... It didnt do the trick cause /data and other folders couldn't have been found. That's where I restarted the tablet and pressed Wipe data on the screen with 3 icons (RCK, Android, Wipe data)... Since then I only see 2 screens - bootup screen with Asus logo and message: Device is unlock and the next screen is TWRP and it flickers again, goes on and off just as if it was trying to load TWRP.

I cannot reflash recovery cause there is no fastboot?

I just hope this is not an expensive paper...

You can still enter RCK ??

CAPS_ON

Jun 5, 2009
Not that this helps your situation, so apologies.

Just started getting the screen flicker/lines randomly when handeling it. So my guess was just the loosining of something internally.

I`m also freecarding it. So that hadden`t crossed my mind.

Time for a tear down vid I guess.

Best of luck tho.

Last edited:

djakolis

May 2, 2014
I'll make a quick video. Be right back to you...

Edit: I cannot post a video due to XDA rules, but you can search for it: TF700 no fastboot, recovery stuck (search for recent uploads, d jakolis is my username on YouTube) If you guys cannot find it, I can email the link to you.

Last edited:

djakolis

May 2, 2014
As you can see in the video, there is not much left to do with the tablet.

However, when I selected Wipe Data on bootloader, did it wipe kernel too? I'm asking this cause I had installed data2sd.zip along with its corresponding kernel.

What would happen if someone else with the same device installed the custom ROM on MicroSD card and handed me his MicroSD card to pop in my tablet? Would it boot off it? Would I be able to enter Android and maybe somehow re-flash recovery and stock kernel along with stock ROM?

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
You should still be able to connect via adb. Try adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and adb logcat.

djakolis

May 2, 2014
You should still be able to connect via adb. Try adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and adb logcat.

Tried adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and got recovery.txt file.

Adb logcat showed this: /sbin/sh: exec: line 1: logcat: not found

Attachments

• recovery.rar
    1.6 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

_that

Oct 2, 2012

Looks like your /data partition is not formatted properly. Try this (don't type "#" and the following comment):

Code:
adb shell        # connect to a shell on the device
killall -19 recovery       # suspend the recovery so that it doesn't interfere with formatting
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p8      # format /data
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=64 count=1    # remove "wipe data" request
reboot

djakolis

May 2, 2014
Wow... I don't know what to say. I'm looking at the fastboot screen! :highfive:

I didn't type the last line of your code because it rebooted itself after format data was complete - make_ext4fs... Is there any consequence for not typing the last line?

Alright, I'm in recovery right now. Question: What is installed on the tablet right now? If anything... May I proceed with installing stock ROM and maybe do nvflash process to have an unbrickable device?

P.S. What does it take to learn all these things? I'm curious cause I like coding, so if you feel happy to share it, I'm all ears.

_that

Oct 2, 2012

I didn't type the last line of your code because it rebooted itself after format data was complete - make_ext4fs... Is there any consequence for not typing the last line?

Maybe the "killall -19" stuff didn't work and the recovery was not suspended, so it may have somehow determined that the wipe was finished and initiated a reboot.

Alright, I'm in recovery right now. Question: What is installed on the tablet right now? If anything... May I proceed with installing stock ROM and maybe do nvflash process to have an unbrickable device?

What is installed? Whatever recovery, kernel and ROM you installed last. No other apps since you just formatted /data.

Since the nvflash (flatline) process saves only BCT, bootloader, partition table and unlock token (basically all the stuff you need to get fastboot working on a hard bricked tablet), you can do that now.

P.S. What does it take to learn all these things? I'm curious cause I like coding, so if you feel happy to share it, I'm all ears.

Lots of reading here, lots of googling and more reading. Experience with Linux on PCs helps too.

Reactions: djakolis

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
i can not connect device also in adb mode pc didnt accept the drivers
If you can still enter recovery (which one do you have?) you can use the build in Terminal.
Otherwise you have to get the adb drivers installed and working. There is no other way if you do not have a working recover and cannot get into fastboot.
Try this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Once you get the drivers installed boot the tablet to recovery and post what you get with this command:
Code:
adb devices

y3akup

Oct 20, 2011
istanbul
If you can still enter recovery (which one do you have?) you can use the build in Terminal.
Otherwise you have to get the adb drivers installed and working. There is no other way if you do not have a working recover and cannot get into fastboot.
Try this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Once you get the drivers installed boot the tablet to recovery and post what you get with this command:
Code:
adb devices

i tried this tool before but still in the device manager page i have transformer device with yellow flag

y3akup

Oct 20, 2011
istanbul
sorry but it says dd is not inside or outsite command and bla bla i cant translate directly but like this

is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Last edited:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
now i could enter the recovery and nearly ten times i installed rom but still it couldnt open twrp and bootloader numbers i checked but i think i did something wrong what can i do now??
Splendid!
Now - did you a full wipe in TWRP before installing the rom? Select the Wipe option and swipe the button. Then re-install the rom.
On the last page of the Aroma installer you have the option of saving the installation log. Do it.
Then back to TWRP, go to Advanced and also save the recovery log.
If the ROM still doesn't boot, post both of those logs.
Also try to capture a logcat of the boot process
Code:
adb logcat -v long > logcat.txt
Post that one too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Looks like your /data partition is not formatted properly. Try this (don't type "#" and the following comment):

Code:
    adb shell        # connect to a shell on the device
    killall -19 recovery       # suspend the recovery so that it doesn't interfere with formatting
    make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p8      # format /data
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=64 count=1    # remove "wipe data" request
    reboot

Maybe the "killall -19" stuff didn't work and the recovery was not suspended, so it may have somehow determined that the wipe was finished and initiated a reboot.

What is installed? Whatever recovery, kernel and ROM you installed last. No other apps since you just formatted /data.

Since the nvflash (flatline) process saves only BCT, bootloader, partition table and unlock token (basically all the stuff you need to get fastboot working on a hard bricked tablet), you can do that now.

Lots of reading here, lots of googling and more reading. Experience with Linux on PCs helps too.
    I seem to have encountered the same issues in this post. I have ADB access but cannot access fastboot OR CM Recovery. I tried the ADB commands and did not get the same results. Please help!

The thread title says "TWRP flickering screen". You say you can't access CM recovery. So if you have TWRP installed, it's clear that you can't access CM recovery. And if you didn't get the same results and you really want help, it would be a good idea to post the results that you got instead.