[Q]-Is it safe to update if rooted?

Search This thread

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I've got an Nvidia Note and the Shield. I noticed the Note has been mentioning an OTA update which likely means my Shield is due for it also. Since both are rooted, is it okay to update or will I wind up losing root?

I noticed on the front end that updating the shield OTA is playing hell with the SD cards. I don't have one in there yet but does the new OTA force you into having a root priv. file browser like root explorer?

redphazon

Dec 3, 2012
I've got an Nvidia Note and the Shield. I noticed the Note has been mentioning an OTA update which likely means my Shield is due for it also. Since both are rooted, is it okay to update or will I wind up losing root?

I noticed on the front end that updating the shield OTA is playing hell with the SD cards. I don't have one in there yet but does the new OTA force you into having a root priv. file browser like root explorer?

I don't know about the Note, but you will lose root by updating the Shield. I had no problems re-rooting it though (I rooted mine by loading CWM Recovery through fastboot and installing SuperSU from there; I don't know if the insecure boot method still works).

The Shield's latest OTA brings KitKat which restricts write privileges to external SD cards. If I'm understanding it correctly, it lets an app write to its own folder on the card, but no where else. This breaks general access apps like file explorers. To get around that, there's an app on the Google Play store called SDFix which removes these restrictions (requires root since it modifies system files).

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I don't know about the Note, but you will lose root by updating the Shield. I had no problems re-rooting it though (I rooted mine by loading CWM Recovery through fastboot and installing SuperSU from there; I don't know if the insecure boot method still works).

The Shield's latest OTA brings KitKat which restricts write privileges to external SD cards. If I'm understanding it correctly, it lets an app write to its own folder on the card, but no where else. This breaks general access apps like file explorers. To get around that, there's an app on the Google Play store called SDFix which removes these restrictions (requires root since it modifies system files).

You did an adb push type thing in recovery or just flashed an su.zip type thing?

redphazon

Dec 3, 2012
I didn't ADB push. I booted CWM recovery through fastboot (didn't flash it, I didn't want to bother removing it for future updates), chose the "choose zip from external sd" option, and installed this from my external SD card. I did have to hit the Play Store and download the SuperSU app from there as well, but it worked.

This post here is pretty much what I did minus the flashing part.

darkonex

Jun 2, 2011

I had read about KitKat breaking file explorers but honestly I didn't notice it make any changes to mine, think I'm using File Explorer Pro or something but it still lets me make dirs on SD, move/copy stuff, extract files, etc so not sure exactly what it was supposed to break? I'm not rooted either nor know how to do so yet :/

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I didn't ADB push. I booted CWM recovery through fastboot (didn't flash it, I didn't want to bother removing it for future updates), chose the "choose zip from external sd" option, and installed this from my external SD card. I did have to hit the Play Store and download the SuperSU app from there as well, but it worked.

This post here is pretty much what I did minus the flashing part.

Thanks all. I'll pull down the OTA soon and see if I can recover root. I noticed OTA Rootkeeper wasn't thrilled because my shield has SuperSU and not superuser. Even though the app mentions being ok with SuperSU, it doesn't want to move along.

brandrobbart

Feb 17, 2014
Texas
I rooted my Sheild by unlocking bootloader, then pushing the image with adb. I updated to Android 4.4 and root was gone, however bootloader remained unlocked. I pushed the image again and all is well.:laugh: So go ahead and update!