huawei mytouch root

Search This thread

toquer

Jan 3, 2011
I've been working on this for the past week. Every exploit I've tried just hangs after a while. I've gotten much further manually. I've got unbuntu and been working using various manual methods. The thing I've noticed is that there is no system folder in root. There is a system partition in which app and bin folders exist. Later today I'm going to have time to try some more. If it weren't for these silly rules id reply to somebody elses post, but I guess reading in forums for 3 years as a registered user doesn't count. Never a need to post as I've always found something using a search. And now I've got a phones that's been out for a week and there's no info out on it so I guess I get to develop myself. Not a hard thing...just time consuming and I've got better things to do, but these pink apps gotta go and I need wired or wireless tehter again. Hopefully I have succcess later today and can post how I accomplished it.

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
I'll be waiting anxiously. please post updates in this thread with your progress!

toquer

Jan 3, 2011
update on progress

I'll be waiting anxiously. please post updates in this thread with your progress!

ok so here's what i've learned so far from trying every method that i can find...

when you boot the phone into the pink screen (volume up and volume down plus power) there is a partition containing 1 folder with 5 files. That folder is called image and the file inside are amss.mbn, boot.img, cust.img, emmcboot.mbn, and recovery.img

The Ascend G300 is a similar phone to the G312 and there is a filed called superrecovery which changes the recovery to set ADB with root priveliges and installs SU in system. If we use the recovery from that batch file made by PauloBrien and push it to the device while in pink screen mode and then reboot into recovery the phone won't power on. You can return to the pink screen and change back to the original recovery, but you can not boot the device into recovery nor regularly. Now this gave me an idea as i'm typing. what if i change it and issue the command in ADB as ADB works during the pink screen. I'm going to try that now.

But this can't be done when in bootloader, only in pinkscreen which makes me think it's fastboot USB mode, but fastboot commands dont work uless you are in the bootloader with the huawei logo which you can only get into by issuing the reboot-bootloader command through adb. once you enter bootloader mode via ADB reboot command then you are able to issue some fastboot commands.

ok so that didn't work...basically when the files in the imge folder are changed the device won't boot into anything but the pink screen mode.

the original recovery file size is 6340KB and the one from PauloBrien is smaller at 5074KB. I'm wondering if file size has something to do with why it won't boot, however, i'm not familiar with what's inside of these files. So...as i reasearch how to build our own clockworkmod recovery i'm wondering if there's a way to change the ADB command inside from not root to root. if it's a on off selecton i'm not sure how i'd affect file size. this is where we get into the realm of knowledge that i don't possess.

so if anybody can offer up some knowledge from where i stand now... please do so.

on a side note, when running exploits, (gingerbreak, zergrush, doomsomething, psneuter, etc)...they all hang.
in linux when trying to drop a file into /system/bin the terminal read out says something about failing to cycle power, not certain what this means.

as i learn a bit more, i'll go ahead and add more...

jon_williamson

Aug 24, 2012
Michigan City
I am hopeful to hear back from you with a successful root method for this device. I myself just purchased this phone for myself and would really love to see more development on it. Seems like a solid phone with a low entry price. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Farseli

Aug 26, 2012
I'm also waiting anxiously for someone to figure this out. I just got this phone and while I really like it, there is just so much packed on this thing that I want to get rid of before I can really enjoy the phone.

Reactions: devonthedude18

mrsteel74

Feb 24, 2008
Chicago
I'll be watching this thread as well hopefully OP or someone else will figure out the trick to rooting this phone, like others I have used the usual methods but no luck. I've counted no less than 13 programs I'd uninstall right off the bat.

For what its worth the phone seems to not be considered part of the Ascend models of phones although they are quite similar our model is called the Unite U8680 and the Unite Q U8730 (the slider version). I've sent a email to Huawei lets see if they respond at all.

It's pretty much useless but this is all I can find on the G312 on the Huawei website:
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=4086&tb=0

Last edited:
Reactions: Farseli

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
I'll be watching this thread as well. According to a post on another forum regarding a different Huawei model, dialling *#*# 2846579 #*#* and making some changes in the log file settings suddenly made their phones rootable for some reason. However while the same # gets you into the service mode on this phone, the log file changes made no difference.

I wonder, though, there are quite a few other options in that service mode. Maybe something in there that could be useful.

Edit: There's one menu that looks interesting, the USB one. You can change it to all sorts of modes including "Manufacture mode" whatever that is. Afraid to try it, don't want to brick my wife''s new phone

Last edited:

mrsteel74

Feb 24, 2008
Chicago
I've been playing with this menu as well and some of the USB modes do seem interesting. I was hoping this would let me find the product ID for the phone cause I found a link on the Huawei homepage to register to get an unlock code for the boot loader on this phone. If anyone is interested here is a link to the page and sadly the method they say to find the product ID doesn't work on our phone.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/servicePolicy.do?method=toApplyUnlock

toquer

Jan 3, 2011
huawei says the product ID is an 8 digit number. I've been trying to dump the log files so i can scan them for some kind of 8 digit number. i've also tried all the different USB modes as well as a few other changes in the project menu that we're able to access. These haven't given me any success in changing the ownership of the folders needed to gain root access. i've not had any time to tear apart the recovery image to figure out what it's doing. but all in due time somebody will figure this out. still haven't been able to get fastboot to work properly either. am running through the usb modes on that now.

toquer

Jan 3, 2011
builder.clockworkmod.com

so i've been working on building a recovery image for this devices using koush's site and have been able to build it, but the device won't boot into recovery yet. not sure how to fix this, gonna mess around and keep on trying. i can get it to boot back up and can get it to respond to adb commands when in the mode that just shows the android 4g logo. but i can't get into recovery. not through adb and not through using the power and volume buttons.

still working on it... any body else have anything yet?

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011

jamonthis

Jul 9, 2008
Yep, it's a simple one too. Happy to have my wife's phone rooted :) Removing bloat, however, is tricky -- it's hidden in an inaccessible partition and when you erase it, it restores it on next reboot.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31237225#post31237225
http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/4276-how-to-root-huawei-mytouch-4g/

Big thanks to mattlgroff for cracking this nut!

When you install an update to one of these apps lets use the, yahoo mail on for example, it will show in the /system/app or /data/app. The problem is the apk before the update is in /cust/t-mobile/us/app which is read only and unable to be mounted as R/W and that is why Titanium backup is unable to uninstall it.

I have tried moving it and deleting it manually with no luck. I have not tried through ADB yet but may give that a try next.

Farseli

Aug 26, 2012
When you install an update to one of these apps lets use the, yahoo mail on for example, it will show in the /system/app or /data/app. The problem is the apk before the update is in /cust/t-mobile/us/app which is read only and unable to be mounted as R/W and that is why Titanium backup is unable to uninstall it.

I have tried moving it and deleting it manually with no luck. I have not tried through ADB yet but may give that a try next.

If you figure it out and find anything out I would love to know about it. Where should I watch for an update in case someone does get that sorted out?

Reactions: pauljulian

oneru

Aug 22, 2009
Recovery mode

There is an accessible recovery mode, at least on my querty version of the phone. You have to completely pull the battery first. Put the battery back in, hold Volume up, and then hit power. I held the power button for a couple seconds, and volume up for maybe 6-8 seconds, then started hitting volume up repeatedly. The key is to pull the battery each time you try, I think. It looks like powering off from the phone's power menu just puts it in a suspend sort of mode. (Compare boot times when rebooting, and when pulling battery)

Apparently the bootloader is locked, so not sure how useful it is yet.

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
I'm hoping we can get some development going for this phone. I just picked one up for my daughter a month ago and it's giving her memory filled messages already. It'd be great if we can get it permanently rooted and remove bloat to start... then possibly move onto Cyanogen... considering she had the horrible Comet (also by Huawei) previously and it had development for CM7. I may be taking a leap from my contract soon, but can't go to Straight Talk with her phone unless it's unlocked

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    update on progress

ok so here's what i've learned so far from trying every method that i can find...

when you boot the phone into the pink screen (volume up and volume down plus power) there is a partition containing 1 folder with 5 files. That folder is called image and the file inside are amss.mbn, boot.img, cust.img, emmcboot.mbn, and recovery.img

The Ascend G300 is a similar phone to the G312 and there is a filed called superrecovery which changes the recovery to set ADB with root priveliges and installs SU in system. If we use the recovery from that batch file made by PauloBrien and push it to the device while in pink screen mode and then reboot into recovery the phone won't power on. You can return to the pink screen and change back to the original recovery, but you can not boot the device into recovery nor regularly. Now this gave me an idea as i'm typing. what if i change it and issue the command in ADB as ADB works during the pink screen. I'm going to try that now.

But this can't be done when in bootloader, only in pinkscreen which makes me think it's fastboot USB mode, but fastboot commands dont work uless you are in the bootloader with the huawei logo which you can only get into by issuing the reboot-bootloader command through adb. once you enter bootloader mode via ADB reboot command then you are able to issue some fastboot commands.

ok so that didn't work...basically when the files in the imge folder are changed the device won't boot into anything but the pink screen mode.

the original recovery file size is 6340KB and the one from PauloBrien is smaller at 5074KB. I'm wondering if file size has something to do with why it won't boot, however, i'm not familiar with what's inside of these files. So...as i reasearch how to build our own clockworkmod recovery i'm wondering if there's a way to change the ADB command inside from not root to root. if it's a on off selecton i'm not sure how i'd affect file size. this is where we get into the realm of knowledge that i don't possess.

so if anybody can offer up some knowledge from where i stand now... please do so.

on a side note, when running exploits, (gingerbreak, zergrush, doomsomething, psneuter, etc)...they all hang.
    in linux when trying to drop a file into /system/bin the terminal read out says something about failing to cycle power, not certain what this means.

as i learn a bit more, i'll go ahead and add more...
    Yep, it's a simple one too. Happy to have my wife's phone rooted :) Removing bloat, however, is tricky -- it's hidden in an inaccessible partition and when you erase it, it restores it on next reboot.

It's been rooted!

builder.clockworkmod.com

so i've been working on building a recovery image for this devices using koush's site and have been able to build it, but the device won't boot into recovery yet. not sure how to fix this, gonna mess around and keep on trying. i can get it to boot back up and can get it to respond to adb commands when in the mode that just shows the android 4g logo. but i can't get into recovery. not through adb and not through using the power and volume buttons.

still working on it... any body else have anything yet?
    I'm also waiting anxiously for someone to figure this out. I just got this phone and while I really like it, there is just so much packed on this thing that I want to get rid of before I can really enjoy the phone.