[VZW] Early Upgrade Transfer Loophole?

Search This thread

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Okay, I know that as of the 24th of August, Verizon closed a loophole which allowed people to transfer a device upgrade from a non-smartphone line to one with an existing smartphone data plan. Some people did this to keep an unlimited data plan, but since I lost my unlimited data over a year ago, I have been using it to upgrade my device every year.

Some people have cited success by purchasing a divide on Best Buy's website, having the device shipped, and then activating it with a swapped-out SIM card from another device, thus never activating a smart phone data plan on the dumb-phone's line. What I'm wondering is if this is possible through the MotoMaker website.

I've got an upgrade available on a dumb-phone's line on my account. If I make use of that upgrade through MotoMaker, can I activate the device using my current Moto X's SIM card once the new device arrives, and keep the $10/month dumb phone plan without upping it to a $30/month smartphone plan?

Any advice/success stories would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

hackeruti

Dec 25, 2009
I tried to do this with my new moto x through the moto website and the droid RAZR m's Sim card was bigger than the moto x rendering the swap incompatible. I'd say look into which phones uses the Sim card in terms of size and compatibility. Good luck!

cntryby429

Aug 27, 2013
Washington D.C.
I speak from experience that the size isn't an issue. It may sound crazy but you can literally cut your larger SIM to fit these either with a cutter like the noosy or you can even print out a template. I will caution that the smaller Sims are thinner so you also have to sand down your cut SIM to reduce risk of damaging the phone's SIM cradle.

With that said, you can also take a phone into a corporate Verizon store at any time and get a new SIM for free. Just tell them you bought this phone outright. I used each of these methods to keep unlimited data on my two lines while getting a subsidized moto x and htc one m8.

This is slightly different, however, in that both of mine already had data plans so I was able to select "keep my current plan" through the bb. In the end I don't know how crucial that was in keeping my old lines on the same plan simply by not activating the provided SIM. You might have more trouble because the website may see that you don't even have a data plan and require that you select one in a way that sticks with Verizon.

Sorry for the long post, I'm thorough.

Wansanta

Sep 3, 2014
Okay, I know that as of the 24th of August, Verizon closed a loophole which allowed people to transfer a device upgrade from a non-smartphone line to one with an existing smartphone data plan.
That's not the loophole that was closed. Actually, it wasn't a loophole at all.

What happened on the 25th are these 2 things:

1) If you use a basic phone's upgrade to buy a smartphone and you are on a legacy plan, you will be required to pay for a minimum $30/mo tiered data plan on the basic line for 2 years regardless of what phone is actually on the line (i.e., putting a basic phone on the line will no longer drop the data plan off of the line); and

2) You no longer can transfer your UDP line's upgrades to another line, either basic phone or TDP lines, without losing your UDP.

Wrt #2 - the reason you are no longer able to do this is b/c when you transfer a UDP line's upgrade to another non-UDP line, it is the donor line (i.e., the UDP line) whose contract is extended and will be required to move to a minimum $30/mo tiered data plan for 2 years. Note that UDPs are $29.99/mo.

Some people have cited success by purchasing a divide on Best Buy's website, having the device shipped, and then activating it with a swapped-out SIM card from another device, thus never activating a smart phone data plan on the dumb-phone's line. What I'm wondering is if this is possible through the MotoMaker website.
Yes it is b/c moto maker uses the best buy check out system, although you haven't described it accurately.

All you have to do is upgrade on your UDP line and when the new phone arrives, do not turn it on. Remove the sim card the phone ships with and replace it with the 4G LTE sim card that is currently active on your UDP line. Then turn the new phone on.

I've got an upgrade available on a dumb-phone's line on my account. If I make use of that upgrade through MotoMaker, can I activate the device using my current Moto X's SIM card once the new device arrives, and keep the $10/month dumb phone plan without upping it to a $30/month smartphone plan?
This may very well work, but again, I don't think you have described it correctly. To do it what you would do is order a Moto X on moto maker using your basic phone's upgrade on your basic phone line and when the new phone arrives, do not turn it on. Remove the sim card the phone ships with and replace it with a 4G LTE sim card that is currently active on one of your lines on your account. Then turn the phone on.

If you try it, please report back if it works, thanks.

I tried to do this with my new moto x through the moto website and the droid RAZR m's Sim card was bigger than the moto x rendering the swap incompatible. I'd say look into which phones uses the Sim card in terms of size and compatibility. Good luck!
Buy a sim cutter off of ebay for dirt cheap. Or read up on how to cut down a sim card by hand.

I will caution that the smaller Sims are thinner so you also have to sand down your cut SIM to reduce risk of damaging the phone's SIM cradle.
This.

With that said, you can also take a phone into a corporate Verizon store at any time and get a new SIM for free. Just tell them you bought this phone outright. I used each of these methods to keep unlimited data on my two lines while getting a subsidized moto x and htc one m8.
As long as you are not left with a pending activation on your line, yes. They will also mail them to you if you call or you can order them here as long as the phone is active on your account.

This is slightly different, however, in that both of mine already had data plans so I was able to select "keep my current plan" through the bb. In the end I don't know how crucial that was in keeping my old lines on the same plan simply by not activating the provided SIM. You might have more trouble because the website may see that you don't even have a data plan and require that you select one in a way that sticks with Verizon.

The method works with any 3rd party retailer and you can read my explanation of why it works here.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenMunky

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
This may very well work, but again, I don't think you have described it correctly. To do it what you would do is order a Moto X on moto maker using your basic phone's upgrade on your basic phone line and when the new phone arrives, do not turn it on. Remove the sim card the phone ships with and replace it with a 4G LTE sim card that is currently active on one of your lines on your account. Then turn the phone on.

Okay, the line with the upgrade available is a $9.99/mo, non-LTE line. If I follow these steps, how likely is it that I'll be stuck with a $30/mo data plan on that non-LTE line?

Last edited:

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
This is slightly different, however, in that both of mine already had data plans so I was able to select "keep my current plan" through the bb. In the end I don't know how crucial that was in keeping my old lines on the same plan simply by not activating the provided SIM.

So, just so I understand, you're saying that the 'workaround' is that you can use the upgrade on a line that currently has unlimited data and then as long as you don't activate w/ the new SIM that vzw won't actually remove the unlimited from the line?

cntryby429

Aug 27, 2013
Washington D.C.
So, just so I understand, you're saying that the 'workaround' is that you can use the upgrade on a line that currently has unlimited data and then as long as you don't activate w/ the new SIM that vzw won't actually remove the unlimited from the line?

That's exactly what I'm saying. I used it for a One m8 from htc.com (powered by BB) and for a Moto X from BB.com. both times there were early statements that unlimited data plans are no longer offered and blah blah blah. When you go through the menus you can still select "keep my existing plan". Once I got my new phones, I promptly threw away the sim that came pre-installed and used my own.

Still have 2 UDPs with contact end dates in 2016. Amusingly, I never even paid the $30 fee (transfer, upgrade, maintenance, whatever they call it) and my m8 was upgraded back when it came out.

Reactions: Wansanta

Wansanta

Sep 3, 2014
Okay, the line with the upgrade available is a $9.99/mo, non-LTE line. If I follow these steps, how likely is it that I'll be stuck with a $30/mo data plan on that non-LTE line?
No one has tried it but based on everything we know, it should work. If it doesn't work then it is because we don't understand how the switch orders work on basic lines.

If you return the phone within 14 days, you are let out of both your 2yr contract and your 2yr data plan requirement so I don't see the harm in trying. Please report back if you do.

That is correct as long as you are ordering from a 3rd party retailer and ship to your home. Please see these threads at AC and SD

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/351917-verizon-how-keep-unlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price.html

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon?v=1&page=205

Also, I believe the Best Buy Method has been posted on this forum before.

I wonder how long this will be available?
Verizon is actively working to close this loophole but it will require them to completely revamp how they handle orders from all 3rd party retailers - i.e., the switch order will have to be implemented by some mechanism other than the sim card the phone ships with.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I used it for a One m8 from htc.com (powered by BB) and for a Moto X from BB.com. both times there were early statements that unlimited data plans are no longer offered and blah blah blah. When you go through the menus you can still select "keep my existing plan". Once I got my new phones, I promptly threw away the sim that came pre-installed and used my own.

Still have 2 UDPs with contact end dates in 2016. Amusingly, I never even paid the $30 fee (transfer, upgrade, maintenance, whatever they call it) and my m8 was upgraded back when it came out.
The best part is getting out of the upgrade fee!

Keep in mind that only BB and others who use BB's check out system like MM do not require you to pick a new plan and the customer agreement says keep existing plan. With any other 3rd party retailers you are required to pick a new plan and the customer agreement reflects that. However, you do not lose your UDP.

Could Verizon audit accounts? Sure. Have they ever? No.

The other thing to be aware of is that only BB (and presumably those retailers who use BB's check out system) and Costco don't have secondary etfs. Amazon and all of the other 3rd party retailers have them so you need to be aware of their terms and make sure you don't violate them and trigger their secondary etf - i.e., canceling the line b/f 181 days, dropping the data plan (which of course you wouldn't do since it is a UDP line), etc.

Last edited:

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
No one has tried it but based on everything we know, it should work. If it doesn't work then it is because we don't understand how the switch orders work on basic lines.

If you return the phone within 14 days, you are let out of both your 2yr contract and your 2yr data plan requirement so I don't see the harm in trying. Please report back if you do.

That is correct as long as you are ordering from a 3rd party retailer and ship to your home. Please see these threads at AC and SD

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...nlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price.html

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon?v=1&page=205

Also, I believe the Best Buy Method has been posted on this forum before.

Verizon is actively working to close this loophole but it will require them to completely revamp how they handle orders from all 3rd party retailers - i.e., the switch order will have to be implemented by some mechanism other than the sim card the phone ships with.

The best part is getting out of the upgrade fee!

Keep in mind that only BB and others who use BB's check out system like MM do not require you to pick a new plan and the customer agreement says keep existing plan. With any other 3rd party retailers you are required to pick a new plan and the customer agreement reflects that. However, you do not lose your UDP.

Could Verizon audit accounts? Sure. Have they ever? No.

The other thing to be aware of is that only BB (and presumably those retailers who use BB's check out system) and Costco don't have secondary etfs. Amazon and all of the other 3rd party retailers have them so you need to be aware of their terms and make sure you don't violate them and trigger their secondary etf - i.e., canceling the line b/f 181 days, dropping the data plan (which of course you wouldn't do since it is a UDP line), etc.
MotoMaker goes live for VZW on Friday! I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Has anyone tried this recently? It's been almost a month since Big Red's policy changes.

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Ordered this afternoon. Chose the feature phone line with the upgrade available, chose the option to keep my existing plan, and completed checkout. Phone should arrive in a few weeks (hopefully less) so we'll see what happens then.

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Got a call from Motorola activations today saying there was a problem with my order and that they have to contact Verizon directly about the upgrade on my account. :( Hopefully the switch order is still tied to the SIM card and the phone will be activated on my account without changing my Basic phone line's plan. Anyone know what might happen at this point?

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Well, I let the Motorola Rep talk with Verizon and they had me choose a data plan to apply to my basic phone line once the phone is activated. I was assured by VZW that no changes would be made to my account until I've activated the phone. If I do the SIM swap before turning on the device, will the switch order still be tied to the SIM I plan on destroying? Does anyone have any idea what may happen at this point?

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Well, got the email letting me know that my new Moto X has shipped. Should be here Friday. I'll keep you guys posted as you what happens with my account when I do the SIM swap.

Reactions: kwyrt

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Phone arrived today. Took out the preinstalled SIM card and used the mine for the initial boot and everything's great. Verizon account still shows my feature phone active with the no-4G plan! I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or so just to make sure, but I think everything's all good.

Wansanta

Sep 3, 2014
Phone arrived today. Took out the preinstalled SIM card and used the mine for the initial boot and everything's great. Verizon account still shows my feature phone active with the no-4G plan! I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or so just to make sure, but I think everything's all good.
That's awesome!!! BTW that is called the Jaycemiskel method and it works as long as you never activate the new smartphone on the basic line.

gtoninn

Nov 27, 2013
This is awesome to see because my X should be here Tuesday and I am doing the same thing! OP did you already have a nano sim or did you cut yours?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, I know that as of the 24th of August, Verizon closed a loophole which allowed people to transfer a device upgrade from a non-smartphone line to one with an existing smartphone data plan.
    That's not the loophole that was closed. Actually, it wasn't a loophole at all.

What happened on the 25th are these 2 things:

1) If you use a basic phone's upgrade to buy a smartphone and you are on a legacy plan, you will be required to pay for a minimum $30/mo tiered data plan on the basic line for 2 years regardless of what phone is actually on the line (i.e., putting a basic phone on the line will no longer drop the data plan off of the line); and

2) You no longer can transfer your UDP line's upgrades to another line, either basic phone or TDP lines, without losing your UDP.

Wrt #2 - the reason you are no longer able to do this is b/c when you transfer a UDP line's upgrade to another non-UDP line, it is the donor line (i.e., the UDP line) whose contract is extended and will be required to move to a minimum $30/mo tiered data plan for 2 years. Note that UDPs are $29.99/mo.

Yes it is b/c moto maker uses the best buy check out system, although you haven't described it accurately.

All you have to do is upgrade on your UDP line and when the new phone arrives, do not turn it on. Remove the sim card the phone ships with and replace it with the 4G LTE sim card that is currently active on your UDP line. Then turn the new phone on.

Buy a sim cutter off of ebay for dirt cheap. Or read up on how to cut down a sim card by hand.

I will caution that the smaller Sims are thinner so you also have to sand down your cut SIM to reduce risk of damaging the phone's SIM cradle.
    This.

As long as you are not left with a pending activation on your line, yes. They will also mail them to you if you call or you can order them here as long as the phone is active on your account.

The method works with any 3rd party retailer and you can read my explanation of why it works here.

Well, got the email letting me know that my new Moto X has shipped. Should be here Friday. I'll keep you guys posted as you what happens with my account when I do the SIM swap.