[Q] Can I unlock my phone from the service provider and relock it if necessary?

Search This thread

nusantara

Oct 3, 2008
Manila
Hi, I have a Galaxy S4 i9505 running on 4.4.2. I have two phone numbers. One for me and one for my husband. I want to contract the Galaxy S5 and give my husband the S4. This means swapping the sim cards. My provider says I have to cash out the S4 which is expensive. The phone is only 4 months into a one year warranty. I don't want to void the warranty either. One solution is to unlock both phones and to relock if there is a problem and I need to bring the phone to the dealer. Can I do this?

gidannifico

Apr 8, 2014
Hi, I have a Galaxy S4 i9505 running on 4.4.2. I have two phone numbers. One for me and one for my husband. I want to contract the Galaxy S5 and give my husband the S4. This means swapping the sim cards. My provider says I have to cash out the S4 which is expensive. The phone is only 4 months into a one year warranty. I don't want to void the warranty either. One solution is to unlock both phones and to relock if there is a problem and I need to bring the phone to the dealer. Can I do this?

Don't get the point, If I understood well you have a device 'connected' with the sim brand, so why unlock a device when -in your case- it would be better only change the apn for it?

nusantara

Oct 3, 2008
Manila
Don't get the point, If I understood well you have a device 'connected' with the sim brand, so why unlock a device when -in your case- it would be better only change the apn for it?

Hi, I don't know what an apn is. The problem is I want to use the Galaxy S5. The Galaxy S4 that I already have is locked to my sim. This means that I can't put my husband's sim in the phone. I can't contract for the S5 under my phone number since I already have it tied to the s4. I would have to contract the phone to his sim. Please explain more about the apn and how that will help me solve this problem.
Many thanks,
Lisa

gidannifico

Apr 8, 2014
Hi, I don't know what an apn is. The problem is I want to use the Galaxy S5. The Galaxy S4 that I already have is locked to my sim. This means that I can't put my husband's sim in the phone. I can't contract for the S5 under my phone number since I already have it tied to the s4. I would have to contract the phone to his sim. Please explain more about the apn and how that will help me solve this problem.
Many thanks,
Lisa

-I'm not an expert, but I'll try to be understandable- APN is a sort of 'code' wich is used in order to 'recognise' the sim in a certain country (it changes from a country to another) and allow you to call,receive, sending messages, etc.
I knew it also worked to change the sim in cases like yours (branded phones), but can't say more cause I don't own the same device and so can't help you further.
You can try asking your phone seller or wait for someone else to help you, I wouldn't advise you to try by yourself searching in the settings.
Ps: it's not my business, but the technical characteristics of S5 are kinda the same of the S4.
Hope it helps.

nusantara

Oct 3, 2008
Manila
-I'm not an expert, but I'll try to be understandable- APN is a sort of 'code' wich is used in order to 'recognise' the sim in a certain country (it changes from a country to another) and allow you to call,receive, sending messages, etc.
I knew it also worked to change the sim in cases like yours (branded phones), but can't say more cause I don't own the same device and so can't help you further.
You can try asking your phone seller or wait for someone else to help you, I wouldn't advise you to try by yourself searching in the settings.
Ps: it's not my business, but the technical characteristics of S5 are kinda the same of the S4.
Hope it helps.

Hi, I appreciate this fuller description. I think I will have to wait for someone else to come along with some hands on points. I have talked to my provider. Their solution is to have me cash out the S4 (with penalty) and to recon tract for the S5. Hence my need for a work around. Many thanks,
Lisa