Otterbox or Trident Kraken?

Search This thread

Sunsparc

Jan 3, 2011
I also ordered a Trident Aegis the other day, a black one.

It feels just like the Commuter Otterbox I had for my Evo 4G. Adds very little thickness to the phone while still protecting it very well. I haven't actually dropped it (I rarely do anyway) but I feel like it would withstand most drops. I didn't put the screen protector on, as a previous poster mentioned. Just the Gorilla Glass has been working well for me.

One added thing (not necessarily a feature) I like the is the logo on the back. Makes the phone very grippy.

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
When Trident comes out with a Kraken case for the Epic Touch, then I will agree with you... but right now, the Defender™ Series still wins :)

Sent from my Epic Touch running Blazer Rom via xda premium

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
Nevermind...

I just realized that you all were talking about the Commuter vs. Aegis... sorry :(

KaliS-Pugilist

Dec 6, 2007
just to update, i have been using the aegis for awhile and really love it. but over the last few weeks i have become frustrated with not having a holster for it. outside of work the lack of holster is ok, but i work in the field and really need one at those times. so......i have ordered an otterbox defender and will either sell my aegis or keep as a backup. i went with the otterbox because my work phone (iphone 4s...gov. supplied) came with an otterbox defender which i actually have grown to like.

so although i love my aegis, and actually prefer it, i am going with the otterbox for now simply due to the combo of holster, case, and excellent protection.

also IMHO, when you consider the price of the defender w/holster ($35~) + built-in screen protector and the cost of the aegis w/o holster ($16~) + screen protector ($11...for the realook), it is actually a better deal for the defender.

Everyday Legend

May 1, 2012
This Beach, Florida
Otterbox is kevlar for your phone. That's real talk.
The only downside is the pain-in-the-assitude of removing it to get to the battery door, but truthfully, only folks that lurk here need access to the battery door. I don't see most normal E4GT users in any situations where they're changing SD cards or needing to pull battery for any reason.

Case in point - both my wife and father have this phone as well as myself, and they NEVER have to access their battery door, as they're not the ones testing software and flashing strange ROMs like an electroslut.

However, I'm also a lot more careful with my phone than they are, so the Otterbox would most likely be doing them more good than myself, but I am glad about having it on mine just in case. You never know when a momentary bobble becomes a fatal drop.

Reactions: d12unk13astard

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
Got my otterbox commuter case few days ago and loving it. My other case I had before it was nice too but made the phone a bit oversized(ballistic) plus I like the fact that the commuter covers up charging port and headphone jack so no dust can get inside.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

kazp3r17

Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
When Trident comes out with a Kraken case for the Epic Touch, then I will agree with you... but right now, the Defender™ Series still wins :)

I agree the Kraken would be nice to have for the epic touch i have it on My evo 3d miss having the kickstand, but the commuter is nice i like out because it keeps the thin feel to the phone, but i also ordered the trident ageis for the extra protection and grip

lambohoos

Nov 19, 2011
Cville
I have a Ballistic case that feels good in the hand and offers great protection for what it's worth. I have dropped mine a couple of times and no issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

kazp3r17

Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Just got the aegis case and it is much nicer than the otter feels a lot better with more grip, had to put pine tar on the otter just so it wouldn't be so slippery

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

evo-t

Nov 11, 2011
Greeley
I just got the Otterbox two days ago and I really like it. I don't use the screen saver that came with it though I have one from a store here. I really like the new design, as the style I had for my evo 3d would pretty much turn your pocket inside out. It was only 40ish with tax. If you've ever used Otterbox before, they have pretty much the greatest customer service! I saw a guy with a trident case. I think it was, those are the ones with the huge rubber pieces on the sides? Yeah the Otterbox is better looking and they seem to have a good track record.

Smurphjw

Jun 28, 2010
Otter all the way. Plus if anything does break the case. Just shoot otter some pics of the damage and they will send a new one basically no hassle.

caseyatbt

Oct 31, 2008
Colorado
I have tried both and decided that I like the Trident better. The buttons were really the deciding factor. The Trident requires a light press and you get a solid click feel. The Otterbox requires a harder press and you don't get the same click feel. They both are very solid but the button thing made the difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i can give you my trident aegis for like 15-20$. put it on for a day and realized im not a case guy lmao
    Otterbox is kevlar for your phone. That's real talk.
    The only downside is the pain-in-the-assitude of removing it to get to the battery door, but truthfully, only folks that lurk here need access to the battery door. I don't see most normal E4GT users in any situations where they're changing SD cards or needing to pull battery for any reason.

Case in point - both my wife and father have this phone as well as myself, and they NEVER have to access their battery door, as they're not the ones testing software and flashing strange ROMs like an electroslut.

However, I'm also a lot more careful with my phone than they are, so the Otterbox would most likely be doing them more good than myself, but I am glad about having it on mine just in case. You never know when a momentary bobble becomes a fatal drop.