All things ME7 discussion here

Search This thread

IMGetwired

Sep 27, 2010
VA/DC Metro
Got my 32GB with MDK...

...a couple weeks ago. But I did a major facepalm a day later, after I took the OTA (WHY OH WHY did I DO THAT?!?) and read what the deal is around here...

So, yes, if you're a regular flash-aholic like me you should just root and use another launcher, freeze/hide the bloat with Titanium, and use the Xposed installer with Nottach and Wanam to tweak things around a bit. No, it's not AOKP (PUB) or Hyperdrive, but it's better than nothing. I have a phone that still looks really cool and performs very well. But it's barely enough to keep me interested until we get a workaround for the ME7 bootloader for a custom recovery. A few quick searches around here will lead you to all these little useful tools... :)

vaeevictiss

Dec 16, 2010
it would say in the last 3 numbers of the build number

yea, looks like i got lucky and got an MDK (made sure this me7 crap didnt push through). Waiting on a charge before i mess with it tho, but i downloaded the necessesary stuff and will be using this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798

So since im an MDK i CAN use a custom rom? (tho i may just stick with a root for a bit to get rid of the crap and see how i like the stock build. Ive read people actually enjoy it...just so different haha) Been using AOKP on my GNex

Last edited:

Hamann5

Mar 7, 2011
err ya my bad I meant bootloader/recovery cracked. I know they had to safestrap the razr line but I think eventually they even cracked that. And even so anything to install custom roms would be great even if safestrap type solutions are kind of annoying to use.

Omg if they came out with a safestrap recovery id be in heaven and this long wait would have been worth the time...idk why you find it annoying how can you beat being able to have 3 different ROMs installed at the same time plus your stock ROM all available to you at the same time without having to flash them every time you want to run a different ROM

Please any devs any update would be appreciated I think alot of us have been very patient but im about to lose it with this stock ROM im so bored with it at this point im tempted to look into a new phone

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: trook

Cares

Dec 2, 2010
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So I went into a store looking for an MD build and the sales guy asks me why? He says the ME build is hackable still and he's done it before. I'm like, no I'm pretty 100% sure it's not possible at the moment. He says his coworker and he has done it. I tell him to come claim the bounty and show us how to do it...

I hate people talking when they have no idea what they are talking about.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Not to get beaten up, but I am not seeing the urgent need for roms. With ME7, I have root, great battery life, performance and the lowest battery bleed in sleep mode of any Android phone I have tested or owned. Of course, the ability to freeze stock apps may be helping with the battery life, so if had no root, perhaps my perspective would change. Added: Whatever the case, I am sticking with ME7, since Flash works much better than with 4.3. I froze the two update tasks in the device.

Still, I respect some folks have the rom itch and always will. The thing though that normally drives that itch is performance issues, or battery life. S4 seems good on all counts :) Just some positive spin, since I see no practical way to rom this device, based on the level the device was locked. Seems something would have surfaced by now- at least a hint anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: alk1946

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
So I went into a store looking for an MD build and the sales guy asks me why? He says the ME build is hackable still and he's done it before. I'm like, no I'm pretty 100% sure it's not possible at the moment. He says his coworker and he has done it. I tell him to come claim the bounty and show us how to do it...

I hate people talking when they have no idea what they are talking about.

ME7 is "crackable" because you can gain root. That's nowhere near as flexible as cracking the bootloader, which would allow custom ROMs and custom recovery. However, it's still rootable.

bfmetcalf

Not to get beaten up, but I am not seeing the urgent need for roms. With ME7, I have root, great battery life, performance and the lowest battery bleed in sleep mode of any Android phone I have tested or owned. Of course, the ability to freeze stock apps may be helping with the battery life, so if had no root, perhaps my perspective would change. Added: Whatever the case, I am sticking with ME7, since Flash works much better than with 4.3. I froze the two update tasks in the device.

Still, I respect some folks have the rom itch and always will. The thing though that normally drives that itch is performance issues, or battery life. S4 seems good on all counts :) Just some positive spin, since I see no practical way to rom this device, based on the level the device was locked. Seems something would have surfaced by now- at least a hint anyway.

For a lot of people it is the little things. I miss a lot of things from other ROM's and find touchwiz's way of doing things plain crappy. Also, the fun of compiling something and putting it on my phone is a wonderful feeling to me. Not saying you're wrong at all, I'm sure there is a reason for samsung to keep touchwiz going. I just personally hate it.

Cares

Dec 2, 2010
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 8 Pro
ME7 is "crackable" because you can gain root. That's nowhere near as flexible as cracking the bootloader, which would allow custom ROMs and custom recovery. However, it's still rootable.

This I understand. I told him you can't load ROMs etc, and he's like you can 100% sure. And started rambling off random program names that you need which were completely irrelevant.

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
My old gs4 glass cracked. Mdk build still. Its up for bids under my eBay account. I'm not trying to sell it here but seems like a lot of people here might be interested in it. I did report it lost to have it replaced by assurion though so I am not sure if verizon blocked the ESN number on it. Sorry if this is inappropiate for this forum.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

th3drow

Jul 21, 2008
My old gs4 glass cracked. Mdk build still. Its up for bids under my eBay account. I'm not trying to sell it here but seems like a lot of people here might be interested in it. I did report it lost to have it replaced by assurion though so I am not sure if verizon blocked the ESN number on it. Sorry if this is inappropiate for this forum.

Ya I actually just bouht an MDK one on ebay, that's the best bet for people is to ask ebay sellers their build number.

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL

Yes, the MEID is blocked. What you did is insurance fraud and could land you in a bit of trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

th3drow

Jul 21, 2008
I guess I missed the last part of that, Ya your ESN is definitely not clean after reporting the phone lost.

ups2525

Aug 3, 2011
San Antonio Texas
Need clarification...please?

I have read around quit a bit and I still don't know enough to go forward with rooting yet. So JTC...can someone chime in & answer these questions/facts...please?

I'm on MDK baseband
1)Can I root?
If yes then what is the root method?
2)Can I unlock the boot loader?
If yes then what is the method?
3)Custom Roms available?
4)Custom Recovery available?

I'm on ME7 baseband
1)Can I root?
3)Custom Roms available?

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
For a lot of people it is the little things. I miss a lot of things from other ROM's and find touchwiz's way of doing things plain crappy. Also, the fun of compiling something and putting it on my phone is a wonderful feeling to me. Not saying you're wrong at all, I'm sure there is a reason for samsung to keep touchwiz going. I just personally hate it.

I agree on Wiz and use Nova instead.

thesoldier

Nov 18, 2012
Baltimore
I have read around quit a bit and I still don't know enough to go forward with rooting yet. So JTC...can someone chime in & answer these questions/facts...please?

I'm on MDK baseband
1)Can I root?
3)Custom Roms available?

I'm on ME7 baseband
1)Can I root?
3)Custom Roms available?

I believe you mean build, not baseband. Baseband is the radio/modem and can be changed at free will. But to clarify:

MDK:
1) Yes. Flashable via ODIN. (There are plenty of tutorials)
2) Yes. Sort of... Via Loki workaround. (There are tutorials)
3) Yes.
4) Yes.

ME7:
1) Yes. (Look for thread)
2) No.
3) No.
4) No.

As of now, ME7 has only root and nothing more.

This is the thread to look at for rooting.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2381382

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

techben

Jan 31, 2013

I'm on MDK baseband
1)Can I root?
3)Custom Roms available?

I'm on ME7 baseband
1)Can I root?
3)Custom Roms available?

I'm on MDK baseband
1)Can I root?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798
nope, but the bootloader has been hacked (LOKI: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292157 , most kernels will already include it = you can just flash them through recovery)
3)Custom Roms available?
Yes!
CWM, TWRP
http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/181

I'm on ME7 baseband
1)Can I root?
Yes - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380325
nope
3)Custom Roms available?
nope
nope

Last edited:
Reactions: ups2525

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yeah, but after I went and bought a new sd card and got it formatted correctly, i still get this crap. Everyone else that has this problem on this forum seems to just miraculously figure it out....or give up i suppose. Ive gone over every page on the appropriate threads and nothing at all. Ive done everything correctly to a T several times over>.....there will soon be massive holes in these walls. Thus I must go to bed and check out these forums in the morning for an answer....I will be rooted

Notice the line that reads
    ./script.sh[1]: cd : /mnt/extSdCard/gs4ex: No such file or directory

That means that when you unzipped the root zip file, you did not recreate the directory structure.
    You should have the following on the root of your sdcard:
    gs4ex
    pwn
    README.txt
    script.sh

gs4ex is a folder, which contains busybox, Superuser.apk, and another folder called system.

Whatever you unzipped with didn't recreate the folder structure. Fix that, and you should be fine.

I'm on MDK baseband
    1)Can I root?
    3)Custom Roms available?

I'm on ME7 baseband
    1)Can I root?
    3)Custom Roms available?

I believe you mean build, not baseband. Baseband is the radio/modem and can be changed at free will. But to clarify:

MDK:
    1) Yes. Flashable via ODIN. (There are plenty of tutorials)
    2) Yes. Sort of... Via Loki workaround. (There are tutorials)
    3) Yes.
    4) Yes.

ME7:
    1) Yes. (Look for thread)
    2) No.
    3) No.
    4) No.

As of now, ME7 has only root and nothing more.

This is the thread to look at for rooting.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2381382

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    As there are multiple posts/thread about ME7 issues and challenges, going to make this here thread the general clearing house for this topic.

Let's use this thread for discussion and not make any more general threads on this topic, OK?

now, here are two links to two recent threads, Have since closed them, but referencing them for information and discussion here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417567

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417291

All XDA posting rules apply...

Let's solve this riddle, shall we?
    Ok, so I am new to the Samsung family. I got my s4 like 4 months ago. I love it. I like how it is out the box but I am starting to want some more customization. I have been reading and following hashcodes thread on his progress trying to get safestrap to work. I have messed with safestrap and flashing roms before on my droid razr. So from what I understand, people ( including myself) who have the ME7 version CAN root but CANNOT install roms yet. However, since hashcode just got safestrap working for ME7, it appears that flashing of some roms work.

I am very excited because I have been keeping my eye on the Hyperdrive rom. So I guess im inquiring on what I need to do next. I know that I need to root. I need to read the thread on rooting and using Odin because I am not familiar with it. From what I have gathered, after I root I should be able to install safestrap and get a ROM flashed. Thanks for yall's help. Im going to go read some more now.

1) Root (and confirm that it 'sticks' after a reboot)

2) Install LATEST SafeStrap APK

3) Run Safestrap APK, use it to install safestrap, and press the 'reboot to recovery' button *in the safestrap app*

4) Create ROM Slot 1 (use maximum size permitted)

5) Flash a ROM.

6) Flash the kernel-modules fix zip, to ensure your wifi will work when you reboot

7) Reboot, enjoy your rom IF it works...

Not all ROMs will work... The Google Edition one works flawlessly (once the modules thing is done), but others won't even boot (Cm10.2) - the more 'radically different' the kernel used by a ROM is from stock, the less likely it is that said ROM will boot on the stock kernel (which is what we are stuck with until someone cracks the bootloader)....

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Can anyone explain what the padlock means? Sorry a newb just got the s4 and rooted and I have this at start up, I'm on me7

On the MDK phones, the unlocked-padlock with 'CUSTOM' showed up after you flashed a custom ROM...

On my ME7 phone (MDK was stolen) it shows up after rooting....

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

with roms out there that support me7 such as hyperdrive. is there a way to get twrp installed? i tried goo manager and 2.6.0.0 but i just got stuck in odin. Ive read people using twrp 2.5.x.x. do we need to do that?

Locked bootloader => Can't change recoveries/kernels/boot-ramdisk...

The only recovery available is SafeStrap - which is based on TWRP but has limitations due to the aforementioned bootloader issue....
    Err... What is ME7?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ME7 is short for VRUAME7. It's the build that began to really lock down the Verizon Galaxy S4.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app