[Q] Help Unlocking i9500: KitKat 4.4

Search This thread

Amarach

Mar 13, 2014
Dear all,

I've been trying to solve the following problem for three weeks on my own and have made no progress, and have probably made things worse. So, I figured it was time to get some help at long last.

I bought my S4 I9500 in Bangkok, and I was not aware that Samsung was region locking their phones now, as I had an S2 that I used in Thailand, China and Cambodia without any problems.

So, I bought the S4 and loved it. However, I moved back to China last month, and upon arrival I bought a SIM card. It didn't work... At this point, my firmware was 4.3, as it had auto-updated from 4.2 while I was in Thailand.

The folks at China mobile couldn't figure out the problem, so I did some research and found out that my phone was region locked. I went to 3 Samsung stores here, and none of them knew what to do, nor would bother to figure it out.

So, I had to try to fix it on my own. I read about entering service mode and tried it, but it didn't work. From what I read, it would have worked in 4.2.2, but not 4.3. I tried finding a place to download 4.2.2 to flash it back, but Hotfile is dead, so I got 4.4. I figured it couldn't hurt, right?

Well, it didn't help.

So, basically, my I9500 is at firmware version 4.4, and my phone is still locked. I am in desperate need of some help. I do not care about the warranty, as I am pretty sure I screwed that up already.

BTW: I did try some sites for the unlock codes, but either they didn't have what I needed, the IMEI code was not accepted, only accepted Paypal, or would not accept a UnionPay credit card. -_-

Thanks for your time.

lolo9393

Dec 28, 2011
Chau Doc Vietnam
In order to fully understand your case, you said " I bought the S4 and loved it" and "it had auto-updated from 4.2 while I was in Thailand.".
do you say you were using it there and you connected thai phone network with a local sim card for some time?
if yes the phone was to be normaly unlocked for any other region network....

Amarach

Mar 13, 2014
In order to fully understand your case, you said " I bought the S4 and loved it" and "it had auto-updated from 4.2 while I was in Thailand.".
do you say you were using it there and you connected thai phone network with a local sim card for some time?
if yes the phone was to be normaly unlocked for any other region network....

Yep. I used a Thai SIM card for about 4 months. When I inserted a Chinese SIM card, it once asked me for an unlock key.

choihan06

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, On
Yep. I used a Thai SIM card for about 4 months. When I inserted a Chinese SIM card, it once asked me for an unlock key.

sim lock is different from region lock,
since you have used your s4 in thai your phone probably is region unlocked by now. (as far as i know)

it seems like your phone is locked to mobile provider in Thailand,
try to use any website that provides sim-unlock code using imei of your phone.

Reactions: Joku1981

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

sim lock is different from region lock,
    since you have used your s4 in thai your phone probably is region unlocked by now. (as far as i know)

it seems like your phone is locked to mobile provider in Thailand,
    try to use any website that provides sim-unlock code using imei of your phone.