[Q] LTE not working

Search This thread

cascius

Apr 1, 2014
Hi, I just got my S5 today and have been having quite a few problems. First one was that Best Buy forgot a step: activating my device... They're so incompetent... lol

So anyway, after multiple talk with Sprint I now have everything working but LTE. My S3 could pick up the LTE network when I was home this morning, but my S5 can't seem to ever connect to LTE. Of course I went to check the settings and the option CDMA/LTE is selected.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks,

- Cascius

Menardo

Not sure what's going on but my S4 signal was 10x's better... My daughter now uses it and she has full lte service and I'm barely picking up 3G... Contacted sprint and they are telling me to bring it in for possibly a defective antenna...

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Hi, I just got my S5 today and have been having quite a few problems. First one was that Best Buy forgot a step: activating my device... They're so incompetent... lol

So anyway, after multiple talk with Sprint I now have everything working but LTE. My S3 could pick up the LTE network when I was home this morning, but my S5 can't seem to ever connect to LTE. Of course I went to check the settings and the option CDMA/LTE is selected.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks,

- Cascius

Hmmm... I'm connecting just fine. If you're having trouble with LTE in an area you know had it, try update PRL/Profile firstly. See if thatfoxes. If not, I would highly recommend just Factory Wipe and Wipe Cache since still early before development goes underway. Easy to reset up. I did and seemed to clear up any and all my issues at first.

Reel

Jul 31, 2010
I have not been able to connect to LTE either. After a reboot, it says LTE but then the antenna turns off and comes back on in 3G. If I go into the Sprint Zone app and try to test the 4G, it tells me to turn it on in the settings and never does a test. My wife's current S3 has no problem with LTE and the Sprint Zone test of 4G seems to work. I plan on going to a local store today and see about the problem.

I tried a data reset, cache wipe, PRL/profile update and no improvements.

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV
It's a network issue with your area. This was a big problem for me when the nexus 5 came out. It's because of the new tri-band devices and sprints network not being updated. There is a a big article about it on s4gru. Trust me it's not your phone. That's why it connects to Lte for a split second and then goes to 3g. U just have to wait for sprint to update the towers in your area

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pastert33

Oct 17, 2007
I am having the same issue of not connecting to LTE. I bought the phone yesterday. I am in the Atlanta area if that matters. I am very pissed BC I sold my S4 back to Best buy so now I'm stuck with an S5 that cannot connect to LTE.

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
Same thing here in San Francisco, but my gs4 was having connection issues too, not cool, I will try a factory reset later to see if that has any effect, but if it is a tower issue then that won't fix it, not cool

pastert33

Oct 17, 2007
Same thing here in San Francisco, but my gs4 was having connection issues too, not cool, I will try a factory reset later to see if that has any effect, but if it is a tower issue then that won't fix it, not cool

Whats weird is that I can update PRL and LTE will pop up and stay connected anywhere from a few seconds to minutes.

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
unrooted, factory restore, updated everything...
no luck
i can cycle airplane mode on and off and LTE will be up a few seconds then goes away again, so yeah sounds like definitely a sprint issue, not cool

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
unrooted, factory restore, updated everything...
no luck
i can cycle airplane mode on and off and LTE will be up a few seconds then goes away again, so yeah sounds like definitely a sprint issue, not cool

i would go to a sprint store and try their floor model

if that doesn't work, its an issue with the network in your area

this article explains the hiccups being caused with LTE with spark updates

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-breaking-band-tri-band-lte-ecsfb-issues-thread/

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
i would go to a sprint store and try their floor model

if that doesn't work, its an issue with the network in your area

this article explains the hiccups being caused with LTE with spark updates

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-breaking-band-tri-band-lte-ecsfb-issues-thread/

Just checked out the floor model in the Sprint store.... same thing I cycled airplane mode it saw 4g then lost it, do yeah I guess we just have to sit and wait, surprising that I'm in the San Fran bay area and can't get 4g. Any details on when this will be fixed?

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Just checked out the floor model in the Sprint store.... same thing I cycled airplane mode it saw 4g then lost it, do yeah I guess we just have to sit and wait, surprising that I'm in the San Fran bay area and can't get 4g. Any details on when this will be fixed?

no clue

at least you know its not your phone, and rather it is a network issue

cascius

Apr 1, 2014
Alright here's an update on my end: I get LTE in some areas, but not others (even though my S3 did)
- San Francisco: No luck in any neighborhood i tried... (PS I live in SF so this really isn't good)
- Napa (and highway 80 on the way there): LTE signal most of the way. (only 2-3 bars most of the time, but still, LTE!)
- Mountain View (where i work): LTE with full bars.

My take so far: the problem doesn't come from our phones but rather from the status of those towers. The fact that Napa's network would be better than SF is extremely surprising and disappointing to me to say the least.

Now here are a couple questions:
On my S3, doing update PRL or Profile would have a confirmation/successful popup. On the S5, it just shows a quick "Initializing application" and nothing happens. Are you guys also having the same issue?

Anyway, those are my findings so far. I've been a loyal Sprint customer since 1999, and at this point I might return the phone and cancel my contract in favor for Tmobile or ATT...

Oh well...

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
Alright here's an update on my end: I get LTE in some areas, but not others (even though my S3 did)
- San Francisco: No luck in any neighborhood i tried... (PS I live in SF so this really isn't good)
- Napa (and highway 80 on the way there): LTE signal most of the way. (only 2-3 bars most of the time, but still, LTE!)
- Mountain View (where i work): LTE with full bars.

My take so far: the problem doesn't come from our phones but rather from the status of those towers. The fact that Napa's network would be better than SF is extremely surprising and disappointing to me to say the least.

Now here are a couple questions:
On my S3, doing update PRL or Profile would have a confirmation/successful popup. On the S5, it just shows a quick "Initializing application" and nothing happens. Are you guys also having the same issue?

Anyway, those are my findings so far. I've been a loyal Sprint customer since 1999, and at this point I might return the phone and cancel my contract in favor for Tmobile or ATT...

Oh well...

yeah i am getting really upset with sprint too, been with them since 2001, i like my plan, but i have the same results as you in the same areas, no luck in San Fran, oakland, or dublin, tempted to go to verizon but i dunno, i like the unlimited data... but if i am gonna be stuck in 3G then there is no use

and the prl update should still have the conformation screen, i get it on mine

cascius

Apr 1, 2014
yeah i am getting really upset with sprint too, been with them since 2001, i like my plan, but i have the same results as you in the same areas, no luck in San Fran, oakland, or dublin, tempted to go to verizon but i dunno, i like the unlimited data... but if i am gonna be stuck in 3G then there is no use

and the prl update should still have the conformation screen, i get it on mine

Oooooh, thanks for the PRL information. I think a recovery is indeed needed. I also forgot to mention that I keep getting a notification that there is a software update. When I click nothing happens... Then i go to settings, system update, and i get a message saying I'm up to date... Pfff... LOL

Regarding switching to Verizon: don't! With work I had an iPhone 5 on Verizon and it was actually worse than Sprint. (At least in the Bay Area)
We now have upgraded to iPhone 5S on ATT and it's definitely better. I've read that TMobile is pretty good too, but have no experience of my own.

Anyway, on a positive note: my S5 is much more responsive than my S3 and the screen brightness is awesome! I was just outside in the sun and could read emails with no problems. The camera is also a nice upgrade as the S3's camera was horrible. Aside from that it really feels like a nice incremental upgrade, but nothing more.

I'll post an update tonight after recovering etc...

- Cascius

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
Ok, I have been in Oakland for a few hours now, 3g the whole time, I cycled airplane mode, and now am on LTE for the last 10 min, so it seems like it isn't trying to search for lte after the initial time?

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
I have the same situation here. LTE only stays for a few minutes and then goes to sleep until it decides to wake up (whenever it feels like). I don't think speaking to Sprint will solve anything. It will be a while before we can see Spark in action, I think.

neotremer

May 16, 2008
Seattle
www.silentspark.net
The problems lie with Sprint Spark. My S4 & Note 3 have great reception. All spark devices i activate barely get 1 bar. Its horrible. But its because of the bands they have the devices default on. They are trying to take less strain off of the current LTE single band and equal it out to all 3. Or just the 2 depending on your location.

Top Liked Posts