[Q] EE UK ROM? (Need to get OTA back)

Search This thread

blackpepperjc

Jul 26, 2013
Hi folks, long time listener, first time caller.

I have an HTC One (M7_UL) from EE UK.
Last year I unlocked, rooted and tried a few methods from XDA (toning down the crazy vibration, etc), then wanted to go back to stock in order to easily receive the 4.2.2 update that EE were sending out OTA. I messed something up and ended up having to sideload Teamwin recovery and the European 4.2.2 (2.24.401.1) ROM in order to have a working phone again. My own stupid fault. Have had no problems with it since and just left it as is.

However, I recently realised that I wasn't gonna get any more OTA updates, and having very little time to update to different ROMS myself these days, I'd kinda like to go back to the boring, easy life of getting the OTAs (probably six to nine months late, but whatever!)

I have been searching for a while but always end up with about twenty XDA browser tabs open and end up really confused.
The two issues I need to get sorted:

1) Does anyone know if EE UK have their own specific ROM, or if it is just the General European RUU that they send out? I can't find any specific EE ROMs anywhere, months of searching.

2) I only have access to Macs, not Windows machines.

Bootloader info:

TAMPERED
UNLOCKED
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.54.0000
RADIO- 4A.17.3250.14
OpenDSP- v31.120.274.0617
OS- 2.24.61.1
eMMC- boot 2048MB
Jun 21 2013

QUESTION - Can anyone help me return to a state where I can receive OTA updates from EE UK *using a Mac*?
I would very much appreciate your input, please bear in mind I am not a n00b but neither am I particularly advanced in this stuff. So basically… I'm a n00b :silly:

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne
Hi folks, long time listener, first time caller.

I have an HTC One (M7_UL) from EE UK.
Last year I unlocked, rooted and tried a few methods from XDA (toning down the crazy vibration, etc), then wanted to go back to stock in order to easily receive the 4.2.2 update that EE were sending out OTA. I messed something up and ended up having to sideload Teamwin recovery and the European 4.2.2 (2.24.401.1) ROM in order to have a working phone again. My own stupid fault. Have had no problems with it since and just left it as is.

However, I recently realised that I wasn't gonna get any more OTA updates, and having very little time to update to different ROMS myself these days, I'd kinda like to go back to the boring, easy life of getting the OTAs (probably six to nine months late, but whatever!)

I have been searching for a while but always end up with about twenty XDA browser tabs open and end up really confused.
The two issues I need to get sorted:

1) Does anyone know if EE UK have their own specific ROM, or if it is just the General European RUU that they send out? I can't find any specific EE ROMs anywhere, months of searching.

2) I only have access to Macs, not Windows machines.

Bootloader info:

TAMPERED
UNLOCKED
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.54.0000
RADIO- 4A.17.3250.14
OpenDSP- v31.120.274.0617
OS- 2.24.61.1
eMMC- boot 2048MB
Jun 21 2013

QUESTION - Can anyone help me return to a state where I can receive OTA updates from EE UK *using a Mac*?
I would very much appreciate your input, please bear in mind I am not a n00b but neither am I particularly advanced in this stuff. So basically… I'm a n00b :silly:

Have a read of this excellent guide created by @nkk71: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082
Should help get you on your way.

blackpepperjc

Jul 26, 2013
Have a read of this excellent guide created by @nkk71: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082
Should help get you on your way.

Thanks for the quick response cr1960!
First issue:

"First you need to be S-Off, this will NOT work with S-On!!!"

I'm S-On as seen in my bootloader info above. I've read it's dangerous to go back to S-On from Off, so does this mean I can't use this guide, ruling out going S-Off then S-On in order to follow it?

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thanks for the quick response cr1960!
First issue:

"First you need to be S-Off, this will NOT work with S-On!!!"

I'm S-On as seen in my bootloader info above. I've read it's dangerous to go back to S-On from Off, so does this mean I can't use this guide, ruling out going S-Off then S-On in order to follow it?

1- you can stay S-Off, it won't affect OTA updates

2- the only reason for going S-On (in my opinion), is if you're selling the phone or sending it in for warranty

3- it's not dangerous to go S-Off to S-On (unless you're using a modded hboot), however, if you do that on hboot 1.55+ it will very likely trigger a "tamper detected - rebooting" and TAMPERED is back in the bootloader, hence the guide says to go from S-Off to S-On at a very specific time.

blackpepperjc

Jul 26, 2013
1- you can stay S-Off, it won't affect OTA updates

2- the only reason for going S-On (in my opinion), is if you're selling the phone or sending it in for warranty

3- it's not dangerous to go S-Off to S-On (unless you're using a modded hboot), however, if you do that on hboot 1.55+ it will very likely trigger a "tamper detected - rebooting" and TAMPERED is back in the bootloader, hence the guide says to go from S-Off to S-On at a very specific time.

Ok, so I should just go S-Off and then proceed with your guide?
Thanks nkk :)