[Q] Nexus 5 and Telus Routers

Search This thread

kattara

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
Hey all,

I'm not sure if anybody else is having this problem, but for the last month I've been having trouble connecting to Telus routers properly. It connects to the wifi signal, but will not load websites about 70-80% of the time and many apps (YouTube, NHL, XDA, Playstation, Play Store, etc). When I switch to my data connection, the sites/app load normally. I don't seem to have this problem when connected to other places (ie. work, starbucks, etc). It's getting really annoying since I had to keep switching to my data to load a site, etc. Not to mention having to pay more because I've gone over my data serving.

At first, I thought it was my phone as it was also experiencing massive battery drain and getting really warm, so I got it RMA'd. But as soon as my new one came from Google, the exact thing happened. I couldn't even download apps/set it up while connected to my Telus router. I've already contacted Telus, and they've updated the firmware to my router, but I'm still having the same issue (altho not as bad, I think? It's only been a day).

Anybody else encountering this?

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Hey all,

I'm not sure if anybody else is having this problem, but for the last month I've been having trouble connecting to Telus routers properly. It connects to the wifi signal, but will not load websites about 70-80% of the time and many apps (YouTube, NHL, XDA, Playstation, Play Store, etc). When I switch to my data connection, the sites/app load normally. I don't seem to have this problem when connected to other places (ie. work, starbucks, etc). It's getting really annoying since I had to keep switching to my data to load a site, etc. Not to mention having to pay more because I've gone over my data serving.

At first, I thought it was my phone as it was also experiencing massive battery drain and getting really warm, so I got it RMA'd. But as soon as my new one came from Google, the exact thing happened. I couldn't even download apps/set it up while connected to my Telus router. I've already contacted Telus, and they've updated the firmware to my router, but I'm still having the same issue (altho not as bad, I think? It's only been a day).

Anybody else encountering this?

Do a search for the many WiFi problem threads. I think those solutions are your best bet, I don't think it's specific to Telus routers.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the reply, but like I said, I'm not experiencing this problem on other networks. The problem only occurs on Telus routers.

The general WiFi fixes still apply. Many people have a single router that they are having issues with, and it works fine on everything else they've tried.

kattara

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
The general WiFi fixes still apply. Many people have a single router that they are having issues with, and it works fine on everything else they've tried.

Is there a specific thread/solution you are referring to? I have tried several fixes, but all to no avail. I'm not having the issue where the phone will not connect to wifi - it connects fine, and doesn't go orange. I've tried changing channels on my router, channel width, msdu/mspu, compatibility mode, etc etc. The problem only started about a month ago, and only on Telus routers (as far as I have seen).

I'm sorry if I missed something.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Is there a specific thread/solution you are referring to? I have tried several fixes, but all to no avail. I'm not having the issue where the phone will not connect to wifi - it connects fine, and doesn't go orange. I've tried changing channels on my router, channel width, msdu/mspu, compatibility mode, etc etc. The problem only started about a month ago, and only on Telus routers (as far as I have seen).

I'm sorry if I missed something.

Sounds like you've exhausted most of the options available on the router itself that would be recommended.

Try setting your phone to only use 2.4Ghz instead of Auto or 5Ghz, and as a latch ditch effort you can also try disabling Mobile Data (toggle it off manually or automated with Tasker/Llama) while using WiFi.

kattara

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
Sounds like you've exhausted most of the options available on the router itself that would be recommended.

Try setting your phone to only use 2.4Ghz instead of Auto or 5Ghz, and as a latch ditch effort you can also try disabling Mobile Data (toggle it off manually or automated with Tasker/Llama) while using WiFi.

Yeah, I've already tried setting it only to 2.4GHz, but that doesn't make a difference either. I haven't tried disabling Mobile Data, tho. Will give that a shot, altho I honestly don't see that that will change anything? But I'll try it, regardless!

And more clarification, I am able to access things like Twitter, Tumblr, G+, so I am getting an internet connection. It just won't load most webpages on Chrome/Chrome Beta, YouTube, and other apps. Quite frustrating...!

Thanks!

Last edited:

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I've already tried setting it only to 2.4GHz, but that doesn't make a difference either. I haven't tried disabling Mobile Data, tho. Will give that a shot, altho I honestly don't see that that will change anything? But I'll try it, regardless!

And more clarification, I am able to access things like Twitter, Tumblr, G+, so I am getting an internet connection. It just won't load most webpages on Chrome/Chrome Beta, YouTube, and other apps. Quite frustrating...!

Thanks!

For sure anyone would be frustrated in the same situation, Hopefully you can get it solved. The mobile data trick has worked for many people with WiFi issues but is more of a temporary fix, I find.

I'm reluctant to even mention this but if you get desperate enough, perhaps give this app a try as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brilliapps.wifiandmorefixer

kattara

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
For sure anyone would be frustrated in the same situation, Hopefully you can get it solved. The mobile data trick has worked for many people with WiFi issues but is more of a temporary fix, I find.

I'm reluctant to even mention this but if you get desperate enough, perhaps give this app a try as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brilliapps.wifiandmorefixer

Yeah.... I'm not quite that desperate yet. ;) I'll update this thread once I try the mobile data trick. Thanks again!

EDIT: Unfortunately, the mobile data trick doesn't seem to make a difference, in my case. :'(

Last edited:
D

Darth

Its definitely the router, or something on your network causing you trouble. Disconnect every other single thing from your network and try. If not....its the router. Demand a completely different one from them. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

And if bad battery drain is still occurring, get gsam....and check Wakelocks. If its WiFi related, It will show that.

kattara

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
Its definitely the router, or something on your network causing you trouble. Disconnect every other single thing from your network and try. If not....its the router. Demand a completely different one from them. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

And if bad battery drain is still occurring, get gsam....and check Wakelocks. If its WiFi related, It will show that.

Thanks for the reply. I got a new phone, so I'm not having the battery drain issue anymore.

As for the modem/router, that's what I'm thinking. I've already talked to telus about it, but they couldn't figure it out. I think it may be a software update they pushed out, but they said they hadn't had any updates lately. I can't get a different one from them, as this is the one that has to be used for telus TV. I may end up just going up my own router to the existing modem/router. It's just frustrating as I'm experiencing this at another place that also uses telus. I mean, I can't be hooking up routers at every place that uses Telus, now can I? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

D

Darth

I'd still try disconnecting everything connected to that router. Reboot it....and see what happens.

If its still a no go, then it really has to be it.