Trouble with auto update and twrp

Search This thread

Jachin99!@

Oct 3, 2013
So im on 4.4.2 right now with twrp and timur's kernel FI 2013 installed on the tablet. I keep getting an update message, and it will download 4.4.3 and restart, but it restarts into twrp, which is why, I'm guessing, the update doesn't install. What would be a good solution to updating the tablet to 4.4.3, or.4 if it is available? thanx.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
So im on 4.4.2 right now with twrp and timur's kernel FI 2013 installed on the tablet. I keep getting an update message, and it will download 4.4.3 and restart, but it restarts into twrp, which is why, I'm guessing, the update doesn't install. What would be a good solution to updating the tablet to 4.4.3, or.4 if it is available? thanx.

Assuming you haven't modified any /system files the ota wants to update, the next time the update boots you into twrp, it will not automatically install, you must flash the ota manually, you will find the ota zip in /cache...you will have to flash the stock kernel before doing anything though...and if you get an error about a modified file in /system, you will have to revert the change or dirty flash the stock system.img...wipe dalvik though...after flashing the ota wipe dalvik and cache.

Last edited:

Jachin99!@

Oct 3, 2013
Assuming you haven't modified any /system files the ota wants to update, the next time the update boots you into twrp, it will not automatically install, you must flash the ota manually, you will find the ota zip in /cache...you will have to flash the stock kernel before doing anything though...and if you get an error about a modified file in /system, you will have to revert the change or dirty flash the stock system.img...wipe dalvik though...after flashing the ota wipe dalvik and cache.

If I flash the stock kernel wouldnt that get rid of timurs that I have now. That kernel is the only reason I have this thing. Just correct me if im wrong but your saying flash back to stock, install updatesthen reflash timurs? Why cant I just try and find a clean 4.4.4 zip which I have looked for but never found, and flash it through twrp instead of relying on the nexus' s self update. I looked in the destination u gave me and it wasnt there. Could this be because /cache is a temporary storage location and I have to do this immediately after the download

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
If I flash the stock kernel wouldnt that get rid of timurs that I have now. That kernel is the only reason I have this thing. Just correct me if im wrong but your saying flash back to stock, install updatesthen reflash timurs? Why cant I just try and find a clean 4.4.4 zip which I have looked for but never found, and flash it through twrp instead of relying on the nexus' s self update. I looked in the destination u gave me and it wasnt there. Could this be because /cache is a temporary storage location and I have to do this immediately after the download

There are multiple ways to update, you asked about OTA, in order for OTA to work, the OTA expects the device to have certain files at a certain version, one of the things it checks, besides files in /system, when there is a change to it, is the kernel, so a OTA will fail if it checks the kernel and finds timur's in its place, which is why I suggested you just flash the stock boot and system (yes, you can always go back to timur's afterward assuming it is compatible with the new ROM, you will also have to reroot/redo changes to /system).

The OTA is downloaded into /cache, and if the cache is wiped the OTA file will not be there, so once it is downloaded, use a root filemanager, and copy it to your sdcard, then it won't get wiped.

The other way to update is to just flash the changed images individually from the factory images using fastboot, making sure not to flash the images which would wipe any boot, userdata, or custom recoveries...as long as you do not flash boot.img, you will keep timur's kernel, but you will have to reroot/redo changes to /system.

You can also use the factory image flash-all.bat to do this, BUT you must delete the -w option in the bat file, not doing so will result in your device being wiped, you will still have to reflash timur's kernel using this method as well as reroot/redo changes to /system.

Either way, when you update, wipe dalvik and cache before rebooting.

Reactions: pathtologos

Jachin99!@

Oct 3, 2013
Just from the way you described that to me i can tell that its going to take some time for me to relearn how to do all of this. Are there really any huge benefits to updating from 4.4.2 to .4 that would really make this worth it? Also if I did decide to put all of this effort into it, is there a way that i can save things like my preferences and my homescreen setup and widgets when i do attempt it? thanks

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Just from the way you described that to me i can tell that its going to take some time for me to relearn how to do all of this. Are there really any huge benefits to updating from 4.4.2 to .4 that would really make this worth it? Also if I did decide to put all of this effort into it, is there a way that i can save things like my preferences and my homescreen setup and widgets when i do attempt it? thanks

Yeah, you can use TiB to backup apps and appdata. I would also advise you do a full nandroid (no need to backup cache though). Save them all to your PC.

As for whether it's worth it, you'll have to read the changelogs for yourself and find out if it is to you or not. Really it's not much work at all to update.

You can always wait around for Android L.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There are multiple ways to update, you asked about OTA, in order for OTA to work, the OTA expects the device to have certain files at a certain version, one of the things it checks, besides files in /system, when there is a change to it, is the kernel, so a OTA will fail if it checks the kernel and finds timur's in its place, which is why I suggested you just flash the stock boot and system (yes, you can always go back to timur's afterward assuming it is compatible with the new ROM, you will also have to reroot/redo changes to /system).

The OTA is downloaded into /cache, and if the cache is wiped the OTA file will not be there, so once it is downloaded, use a root filemanager, and copy it to your sdcard, then it won't get wiped.

The other way to update is to just flash the changed images individually from the factory images using fastboot, making sure not to flash the images which would wipe any boot, userdata, or custom recoveries...as long as you do not flash boot.img, you will keep timur's kernel, but you will have to reroot/redo changes to /system.

You can also use the factory image flash-all.bat to do this, BUT you must delete the -w option in the bat file, not doing so will result in your device being wiped, you will still have to reflash timur's kernel using this method as well as reroot/redo changes to /system.

Either way, when you update, wipe dalvik and cache before rebooting.