What heaphones are everyone using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Slade8525

That's the reason I use a USB DAC/amp with my phones, not sacrificing much quality at all even on the go.

if you don't mind my asking, which portable USB DAC/amp? i have been a FLAC advocate for a while and need to justify using them, plus it would be a business expense write off.

Like so many nice things, i had, at times, vaguely wondered if such a product existed without searching or piling cables and adapters together, forgot about it, and now realize that i must possess one, immediately, and i sorely lament all the time i have gone without, before!

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
if you don't mind my asking, which portable USB DAC/amp? i have been a FLAC advocate for a while and need to justify using them, plus it would be a business expense write off.

Like so many nice things, i had, at times, vaguely wondered if such a product existed without searching or piling cables and adapters together, forgot about it, and now realize that i must possess one, immediately, and i sorely lament all the time i have gone without, before!

I have several.

The HeadAmp Pico is my favourite sound-wise, closely followed by the Apex Glacier which is a nicer form factor for 'mating' to a phone and has some other advantages like being able to bypass USB charging when connected to the phone (less battery drain). I also have the RSA Intruder, which is a fully balanced portable DAC/amp.

For less money the Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII is also very good, I had one and sold it one a while back.

There are numerous others though, check out my USB audio and Android devices thread in the portable sources subforum at Head-Fi for a massive list of DAC/amps that are confirmed working with the S3.

jblparisi

Jun 12, 2007
Mainly what I use at the moment:

Audio GD Sparrow Desktop DAC, Sennheiser HD650
HRT Microstreamer Mobile DAC, Sennheiser HD212 PRO

:good:

disengage

May 17, 2013
Currently Sennheiser CX300s.

Sometimes, the Samsungs that came with my phone at the gym, they sounds great and fit my ears better.

TheNoobling

Dec 5, 2012
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo. It's one of those things that people who have them think they are better and worth it, as opposed to all the hates who think they are overpriced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo. It's one of those things that people who have them think they are better and worth it, as opposed to all the hates who think they are overpriced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

No, it really isn't one of those things. For the sound quality they offer they are simply overpriced, they aren't as good as competitors in their price range, but most Beats owners have never heard the other stuff (which is why they think they are worth it).

That said, I honestly think Beats has been good for the headphones industry and hobby, they've got people more interested in sound quality and many Beats owners go on to get other headphones and discover a whole new world of audio quality exists out there.

TrailH4x

Oct 21, 2009
Beats by Dre, Executives.

Love the noise cancelling and the in line mic. I travel and work a bit in chaotic environments. Having one set of phones that does it all rocks.

Throw in the Beats App and get your jamm on.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Rrryan2

Dec 5, 2010
No, it really isn't one of those things. For the sound quality they offer they are simply overpriced, they aren't as good as competitors in their price range, but most Beats owners have never heard the other stuff (which is why they think they are worth it).

That said, I honestly think Beats has been good for the headphones industry and hobby, they've got people more interested in sound quality and many Beats owners go on to get other headphones and discover a whole new world of audio quality exists out there.

Thoroughly agreed on all points.

Beats are often far and away better than OEM nonsense but are overpriced relative to the sound quality that is actually delivered, and Beats listeners are frequently blissfully unaware. I'd add too that Beats phones are often overly bass-heavy, which is less than ideal for many use cases.

I agree too that Beats' greatest contribution has been to raise awareness that mobile listening doesn't *have* to suck, and that quality hardware makes a difference. The initiative with HTC's inclusion of "baked-in" Beats audio especially helped shed light on that realization.

Supercurio's Voodoo Sound before that made some inroads, but with little following outside the Android enthusiast community.

xxgunnerxx

Aug 21, 2012
Using the updated klipsch s4 with the flat wires. Sound quality is beyond amazing and definitely a big difference between your 10$ ones. However I'm on my 3rd pair already as they seem to fail at connecter point. The fitting in the ear could be better as I find I'm constantly adjusting them. Ultimately the great sound and built in mic, outweighs the cons at least for now. I got them for 35$ brand new, but I would never buy them for 100+ knowing the issues I have with them.

crixley

May 25, 2012

They aren't even as good as much lower prices headphones tbh..

They are crap for people who want to fit in

tylerdurdin

Sep 30, 2010
New York
They aren't even as good as much lower prices headphones tbh..

They are crap for people who want to fit in

Fit in with who? Judging by most of the really awesome comments here by all the really awesome people..... There is no one to fit in with.

I think it's more like there's a certain group that decided not to like them because they are to main stream and started their own little niche group of awesome dictators that tell people what sounds awesome.

Music is preference as well as what the music sounds like.

I am not defending Beats but the hate group sounds like a bunch of little Samsung or Apple fan boys in their little niche Sennheiser fanclub.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

crixley

May 25, 2012
Fit in with who? Judging by most of the really awesome comments here by all the really awesome people..... There is no one to fit in with.

I think it's more like there's a certain group that decided not to like them because they are to main stream and started their own little niche group of awesome dictators that tell people what sounds awesome.

Music is preference as well as what the music sounds like.

I am not defending Beats but the hate group sounds like a bunch of little Samsung or Apple fan boys in their little niche Sennheiser fanclub.

They are trendy and not good sounding..

I'm a dj and an electrical engineer with a huge focus in audio.

There is a reason why you can't find any specs anywhere for them and they don't give them out.

You're paying for a look and an image, not for quality

tylerdurdin

Sep 30, 2010
New York
They are trendy and not good sounding..

I'm a dj and an electrical engineer with a huge focus in audio.

There is a reason why you can't find any specs anywhere for them and they don't give them out.

You're paying for a look and an image, not for quality

Well that's great.... I know five DJs personally and their rigs sound like crap to me.... While they find that it sounds amazing. I set up home theatres and my house is full of audio and surround sound, that I have set up personally for me. Many customers require a completely different sound to their theatres.... So who's wrong?

You can only have opinion of what sounds good.... My beats in ears sound as good or better than any other set I have. My opinion.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
You can only have opinion of what sounds good.... My beats in ears sound as good or better than any other set I have. My opinion.

What are your other sets though? The statement is rather meaningless without the point of comparison isn't it?

I've only ever seen Dre wearing AKG headphones in the studio, I wonder why that is?

Reactions: crixley

crixley

May 25, 2012
Well that's great.... I know five DJs personally and their rigs sound like crap to me.... While they find that it sounds amazing. I set up home theatres and my house is full of audio and surround sound, that I have set up personally for me. Many customers require a completely different sound to their theatres.... So who's wrong?

Headphones are not supposed to have built in equalization..

There is opinion, then there is fact. You dig up the numbers for beats headphones and compare them to real quality ones..

The only people who like them only care about low end anyway so I guess if that's your sound, ignoring everything but the bass, you have fun with that

tylerdurdin

Sep 30, 2010
New York
What are your other sets though? The statement is rather meaningless without the point of comparison isn't it?

I've only ever seen Dre wearing AKG headphones in the studio, I wonder why that is?

Wow.... Way to jump right on the point. The point was it is each persons individual preference of what sounds good. I have friends that swear the Samsung bundle buds are the best buds ever. Try telling my wife that the set that came with her Note ain't the best. Its preference. That is all. I think Lamb of God is the best metal band ever.... Try convincing me the aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've compared the $300 beats to my $100 Audiotechnica ATH-50s and its not even close. The audiotechnica's are miles ahead of the beats. Also the beats require batteries, so basically Dr. Dre/and the beats marketing team are geniuses. They've somehow taken a product that's 4X as expensive as it should be AND requires batteries and made it one of the hottest selling headphones.

As my dad would say this is just an IQ test, if you purchase a pair of Beats you fail.
    I use Beats By Dre Studio Headphones, LOVE THEM :D:D:D:D! Also have a pair of in-ear Skull Candies I paid $30 for at AT&T and the sound quality is :good: REALLY :good: good for the price.

OdBDebS.jpg
    I'm using the Paradigm shift E3M
    JVC HAFX101 for $15, you can't beat em.
    I use a.set of Kilpsh S4. They seem to work really well. Very crisp.