[UPDATED]Firefox OS 1.4 for ZTE Open

Search This thread

sekun

Mar 19, 2014
Thank you, I build fos myself and use your boot.img to flash my phone and now it boots well.

Could you explain which changes you have made to boot.img (and from which version)?

LinuxHolic

Jun 16, 2013
Thank you, I build fos myself and use your boot.img to flash my phone and now it boots well.

Could you explain which changes you have made to boot.img (and from which version)?

Which version you have compiled?
I didn't modified any boot.img :)
It was modified by someone else.

One More Question:
Did you ZTE Open hangs most of the times?

sekun

Mar 19, 2014
Which version you have compiled?
I didn't modified any boot.img :)
It was modified by someone else.

One More Question:
Did you ZTE Open hangs most of the times?

First I built from 1.1B02 to 1.3 and modified boot image according to this method [1] and made these modifications [2].

Next, built from 1.3 to 1.4 and used your boot img.

I've just tested 1.4 a little for now, and my zte open never hangs on 1.3.

[1] pof.eslack.org/2013/07/05/zte-open-firefoxos-phone-root-and-first-impressions/#comment-1749
[2] bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=965180#c9

LinuxHolic

Jun 16, 2013
First I built from 1.1B02 to 1.3 and modified boot image according to this method [1] and made these modifications [2].

Next, built from 1.3 to 1.4 and used your boot img.

I've just tested 1.4 a little for now, and my zte open never hangs on 1.3.

[1] pof.eslack.org/2013/07/05/zte-open-firefoxos-phone-root-and-first-impressions/#comment-1749
[2] bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=965180#c9

How did you installed 1.3 on you phone?
An .img files?
I wasn't able to install it on my phone. Tried with 3 different boot.img files :(

sekun

Mar 19, 2014
How did you installed 1.3 on you phone?
An .img files?
I wasn't able to install it on my phone. Tried with 3 different boot.img files :(

I've followed this tutorial [1] (built from 1.1 to 1.3, set BRANCH=v1.3 instead of v1.2 in the script) and have modified boot.img according to the 2 links [2] and [3] mentioned before.

[1] rowehl.com/blog/2013/10/24/firefoxos-1-dot-2-on-zte-open
[2] pof.eslack.org/2013/07/05/zte-open-firefoxos-phone-root-and-first-impressions/#comment-1749
[3] bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=965180#c9

LinuxHolic

Jun 16, 2013
I've followed this tutorial [1] (built from 1.1 to 1.3, set BRANCH=v1.3 instead of v1.2 in the script) and have modified boot.img according to the 2 links [2] and [3] mentioned before.

[1] rowehl.com/blog/2013/10/24/firefoxos-1-dot-2-on-zte-open
[2] pof.eslack.org/2013/07/05/zte-open-firefoxos-phone-root-and-first-impressions/#comment-1749
[3] bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=965180#c9

Can you give me the boot.img that you modified?

asdf2a3

Mar 30, 2014
Works great!!!

Hello Guys, i am here to share FF OS 1.4 build for ZTE Open :D

This will work for all those who are having Bootloop issues while flashing Custom firmware ;)
This build is compiled by someone so i take no credit for that. I'm just here to share that :)

Code:
[b]fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase system
fastboot flash cache ramdisk.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img[/b]

This image works great. At least as far as I have tested. Much snappier than 1.1, 1.2.
Could I ask (beg) you to compile a japanese version?
I'm giving a talk in Japan on JavaScript in about a month and I was hoping to show off this device.
I'd really appreciate it if you could do this for me.

I believe the information contained here may be helpful: ... 8 / I cannot post links as a newbie...
The comments at this bugzilla page explain how to add japanese text @ bugzilla mozilla org show_bug.cgi ? id=933252#c16

thank you so much!

LinuxHolic

Jun 16, 2013
This image works great. At least as far as I have tested. Much snappier than 1.1, 1.2.
Could I ask (beg) you to compile a japanese version?
I'm giving a talk in Japan on JavaScript in about a month and I was hoping to show off this device.
I'd really appreciate it if you could do this for me.

I believe the information contained here may be helpful: ... 8 / I cannot post links as a newbie...
The comments at this bugzilla page explain how to add japanese text @ bugzilla mozilla org show_bug.cgi ? id=933252#c16

thank you so much!

As i've already mentioned earlier that this build has been compiled by someone(not me) :D

asdf2a3

Mar 30, 2014
Whoops

As i've already mentioned earlier that this build has been compiled by someone(not me) :D

:crying: My bad. I didn't read before I installed.. :(

Could you point me in the right direction?

My own builds of b2g have been less than successful. The closest I've gotten was to get a unstable versions installed.

linr76

Feb 28, 2014
Zürich
you may want to have a look at neuralassembly . blogspot . com (can't post links....) its in japanese and he explains how to build a japanese enabled version for Samsung Galaxy S3, you'll have to adapt that but i guess at least you will be able to read it without google translate :D

hope this is helpful to you.

asdf2a3

Mar 30, 2014
you may want to have a look at neuralassembly . blogspot . com (can't post links....) its in japanese and he explains how to build a japanese enabled version for Samsung Galaxy S3, you'll have to adapt that but i guess at least you will be able to read it without google translate :D

hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks, I can and have compiled for this device. The tricky parts are finding a version that is stable enough to use. And getting all of the right proprietary drivers. And there may be some other unknown(s) that I'm messing up. The version you've posted tells me the git version so that's 1 of the 2 major foreseeable obstacles.

Call me a conspiracy nut, but what's the big deal with closed source drivers on cell phones? So what if the public finds out how to write to a screen or send communication over the radio. Technically we can already write to small lcd screens with adrino parts and communicate over the air with shortwave. And yet every single phone out there is closed, even the Maemo was partially closed. I don't see any legitimate reason for this other than some giant conspiracy by large corporations. Either the ma bells don't want us using the air-waves for free or the governments of the world don't want us not being tracked. And I suppose it's a lot of both.

linr76

Feb 28, 2014
Zürich
well, it was just an example on how to get japanese working on the device, not really a cookbook.
for the building i guess you should follow the instructions on Mozilla developer network.
they have a page dedicated to the ZTE Open.

mine will arrive maybe next week, so i cant really build yet, since the phone has to be connected for the build to proceed.
and i am fine with it being in english, even though my native language is german, but i always change the language to english (must be an IT thing with me)

asdf2a3

Mar 30, 2014
well, it was just an example on how to get japanese working on the device, not really a cookbook.
for the building i guess you should follow the instructions on Mozilla developer network.
they have a page dedicated to the ZTE Open.

mine will arrive maybe next week, so i cant really build yet, since the phone has to be connected for the build to proceed.
and i am fine with it being in english, even though my native language is german, but i always change the language to english (must be an IT thing with me)

There are some official ZTE versions out there with fastboot disabled. B06 is safe. But be careful to read about other user experiences before you upgrade.

KUPOinyourWINDOW

Mar 22, 2014
There are some official ZTE versions out there with fastboot disabled. B06 is safe. But be careful to read about other user experiences before you upgrade.

As far as I am aware when ZTE first released the 1.1 Firefox OS update through their website it was released without fastboot enabled. This however was a mistake, so they took those files down and re-uploaded newly compiled versions of the same Firefox OS 1.1 but with fastboot enabled. :good:

linr76

Feb 28, 2014
Zürich
thanks for the warnings, i have read about that and i think it is even stated on the MDN.
i think because of this there is also a lot of misunderstandings, as i do not think you need a hacked boot.img if your phone has fastboot enabled already.
well i guess i will find out when it arrives, as i want to upgrade at least to 1.3
this wont be my daily use device, i just want to see where FXOS stands and is developing to.
if i like it i guess i would go for a more mid-level device (like a Alcatel Fire E/S or the new not yet announced higher spec ZTE)
my only gripe here is that sony doesnt seem to move on and release their FXOS phone, and the support with Alcatel was a bit patchy so far from what you read.
it would be nice if all of the FXOS phones had the possibility to be used as Dev-devices.

Nitroman70

Aug 22, 2010
Lyon
Hi,

Thanks for this release. Is all the device working ? I mean GPS, WiFi etc...
I'm new to Firefox OS, and I would like to install the latest fully functional release :)

Anyway thanks for your great work !

KUPOinyourWINDOW

Mar 22, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for this release. Is all the device working ? I mean GPS, WiFi etc...
I'm new to Firefox OS, and I would like to install the latest fully functional release :)

Anyway thanks for your great work !

I am not the creator/uploader of this post but I have installed it multiple times and know a little bit about this kind of thing :) It is a pre-release version so it is far from being complete or "stable"... I would not suggest using this build for daily use as there is no guarentee everything will work correctly even if it does for someone else, but for testing and/or restoring a bricked (broken phone) it is perfect.

Top Liked Posts