• uploadfromtaptalk1360823103112.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360823103112.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

uberbania

Oct 12, 2012
West Allis, WI
Re: [KERNEL][3G+WIFI][4.2.1] M-Kernel - a36

Pandora for 4 hours with constant updating on Facebook as I was doing homework on the laptop. Also some words with friends, sudoku, and an hour of note taking in class with my 7.

Butter that lasts forever...a36 touchdemand min max at 204/1200, everything else normal. PA 3.0

Forgot to add another screen, had a glitch in battery graph, tablet had sod or turned itself off in my backpack sometime today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360823585632.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360823585632.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 793

Porchy12

Jun 20, 2012
Bridgend
I'm not sure if you know, but all of the Rapidshare links are down, so I can't seem to download any of your kernels :(

Does anyone have a mirror I could download it from? I'm looking to try it out :)

piupiu piu

Nov 26, 2012
Pandora for 4 hours with constant updating on Facebook as I was doing homework on the laptop. Also some words with friends, sudoku, and an hour of note taking in class with my 7.

Butter that lasts forever...a36 touchdemand min max at 204/1200, everything else normal. PA 3.0

Forgot to add another screen, had a glitch in battery graph, tablet had sod or turned itself off in my backpack sometime today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

How about real test (no screen off and wi - fi on) turn off your tablet when you don't use it. I got 10 hours of pure work (1.3 - 2 cores). What is your results?

eduardo_b

Jun 27, 2012
45°28′N 09°11′E
I'd like to pose a basic simple question, somewhat:

For general good performance and battery life, using a36 and Paranoid Android 3.0, is the recommendation simply to use the defaults that Trickster Mod shows for this kernel and be done with it? I know I can tweak this, tweak that, change this, change that, till I'm blue in the face, but I really ain't interested in going that far. Over the years I've tweaked till I'm blue in the face and then some twice over squared times half infinity and to be honest, I'm just flat out sick of doing it. :)

I know what I'm asking is pretty much common sense stuff considering the defaults exist for a good reason, but I figured it can't hurt. I was using franco.Kernel for a few days but I think based on what I've read and learned from this voluminous thread full of content that M-Kernel truly is the best Nexus 7 kernel... at least for me and my usage. ;)

It's only common sense if you are pragmatic and not fixated on maximum performance or battery, so given that you seem sensible, my response is that defaults get you close to the magic point on the curve, at least with this kernel. You could undervolt the mpu settings a little and reduce cpu min/max a couple levels, and you might get some additional battery life, but unless you can't charge the tablet easily and conveniently, it's not worth the effort. The dev has done a really great job of finding the sweet spot with a36 with PA, so I'd enjoy the combination and using the tablet. :)

Like you I've spent too much of life tweaking stuff and eventually realized that while the benchmarks might be slightly better, usability wasn't. It depends on the hardware and OS. I've spent more time tweaking kernels with GS3 phones because their battery usage is not good stock and needs help even with custom stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ezas

jmtast

Nov 11, 2010
Capital Federal
Hi everyone! I'm new to m-kernel and so far it's working nicely, but I have a question that's bugging me and didn't manage to read about it in the OP or while searching for "brightness" (at least in the most recent posts).

I installed the kernel after a clean install of Paranoid Android 3.0, but I consider the minimum autobrightness WAY too low. I read about "Root Dim" but couldn't figure out how to override the minimum brightness while leaving autobrightness on. I mean, it's so dark I can barely see anything, even in a fully dark room. Is there a way to configure this? I would like only to raise the minimum autobrightness, the stock one was okay for me. I wouldn't like to give up on autobrightness by using the static one.

Thanks a lot for reading this, and thanks in advance for the help!

Reactions: eric-filth

berkos

Dec 25, 2008
Re: [KERNEL][3G+WIFI][4.2.1] M-Kernel - a36

Hi everyone! I'm new to m-kernel and so far it's working nicely, but I have a question that's bugging me and didn't manage to read about it in the OP or while searching for "brightness" (at least in the most recent posts).

I installed the kernel after a clean install of Paranoid Android 3.0, but I consider the minimum autobrightness WAY too low. I read about "Root Dim" but couldn't figure out how to override the minimum brightness while leaving autobrightness on. I mean, it's so dark I can barely see anything, even in a fully dark room. Is there a way to configure this? I would like only to raise the minimum autobrightness, the stock one was okay for me. I wouldn't like to give up on autobrightness by using the static one.

Lux will work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: jmtast

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010

Every display is different in their brightness curve. My first N7 got really dark around 4 and the display would shutoff at 3. My current one goes all the way down to 2, which is still much brighter than my first, and shuts off at 1. I had a defective one that I RMA'd whose display would shut off at 13, meaning it would shut off under normal use on stock kernel.

I would consider your display however, if it is really dim at 8 (the current min), to be "partially" defective, (or at the very least well outside of the bell curve) and there's not much I can do about that other than recommend an app like lux.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmtast

N@th_OC

Jul 29, 2011
Lyon
Anyone have a flashable ZIP for the new bootloader?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Just created one since a lot of you are asking for.
It seems to work fine. no problem on my Nexus.

Edit: Not working got to made another one when i be back home.
I have a problem with the computer at work all my zip file are no more working.
I don't know why.
I will make another zip soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would you guys feel about me closing this thread and starting a new one in Android Original Development? It technically belongs there anyway, and I wouldn't mind reserving a couple more posts in the beginning for a FAQ and other stuff. Hopefully to stop any more "Why is my min stuck at 340MHz?!?" and others like it :)
    Working on a new OP for mr1... Finally got a simplified feature list/changelog... Need to clean it up some haha.

Probably forgot a lot of things too.

Basic feature list -

• based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
    • optimized compiler flags
    • Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
    • Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
    • CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
    • GPU over clock up to 700MHz
    • Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
    • Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
    • CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
    • Runnable threads hot plugging
    • FSync control (Ezekeel)
    • Glibc memcpy and memmove
    • User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
    • Deadline improvements for solid state drives
    • LP core overclock to 666MHz
    • Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
    • Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    • Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
    • Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
    • Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
    • Faster LP -> G transitioning
    • Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
    • Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
    • Tweaked CFS parameters
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • Block: recursive merge requests
    • timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
    • Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
    • Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
    • LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
    • allow use of a controller native max block size
    • optimized crypto algorythms
    • Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
    • Better hot plugging delays
    • Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
    • kexec-hardboot support for multirom
    • minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
    • decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
    • switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
    • Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
    • Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
    • Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
    • Input: Send one packet at a time
    • support for ROM built-in OTG support
    • Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
    • Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
    • TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
    • Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
    • Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
    • Many LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
    • Many, many scheduler improvements and optimizations
    • A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list
    Now, on to my status with this -
    As a quick fix, I will revert this patch for the next build. This should hopefully solve all issues with a33 including, but not limited to, SODs, reboots, and increased battery drain in LP1 (too little voltage, but not little enough to cause freezes/reboots, has been shown to actually cause increased battery drain as compensation).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to whip up a quick fix for a couple reasons.

For one, I have other responsibilities. I had a Physics midterm early today and had to spend time reviewing and studying. Also, my father purchased a new HDTV (very nice one, super jealous) and I had to help him go pick it up and transport it, unpack it, remove the old, gigantic, heavy as f---, rear projection DLP HDTV, set up/secure/mount the new one, situate all the cables with the FIOS box/DVD/AV receiver/Surround sound, reprogram the universal remote, set up the new smart tv capabilities with the internet and their internet video services, update the TV software, set up the 3d and 3d glasses, and teach them all how to use the new stuff.

Second, my computer broke. The graphics card started acting up, kept getting messages about it failing and successfully restarting until it no longer would successfully restart. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and the whole kitchen sink, but the card was dead and there was no way around it. Aren't laptops with their all-fused components wonderful :rolleyes:? To be honest four years is a decent run for a cheap 4-yo HP. Anyway, I need a computer for school so I got a new one as an early birthday present.

So I have a new computer now. First of all it's a macbook so I'm going to have to learn how to use OSX for one thing and get everything set up, and I'm going to have to re-make my kernel build environment from scratch which will take some time.

So hang tight please!