[Q] Acer Iconia A501 - Frozen @ Acer Logo

Search This thread

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Yet another Newb

I have googled / search / read many posts & threads over the past days & weeks.

I had a Acer Iconia A500 freeze @ the Acer logo screen like so many other have had, BUT I managed to fix it last time.

My mate has an Acer Iconia A501 ( so its got a sim card as well ) & its done the same thing.

I have tried the same process as the last 1, but to no avail as yet.

I'm needing some help please guys as I bet its something really simple , but I cant see why its not working for me.

OK AFAIK its all been stock Acer roms & OTA updates.

Processes so far..

Power on & hold down volume + & slide screen lock get this & then reboots
erasing user data .. erasing cache...

Power on & hold down volume - & slide screen lock get this
Bootloader v0.03.12-ICS: starting fastboot USB download protocol

Power on & hold Volume - release power button when it vibrates / starts to boot , still hold down vol button

I have tried the same update.zip file as my last A500 experience , but it got me to the android icon with the spinning globe for hours, left from any where from 40 mins to over night & same basically a lockup. then tried again & somehow got it to almost 90 ish % & stayed like that for ages.

Now I can only get it to see the green android guy for 10-12 seconds before he falls over & dies with the red triangle & black exclamation mark inside it.

I'm not fussed on what rom etc or even stock acer again as I can OTA it back up to last again.

I would just like it to work again & see where I am going wrong...

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Anyone able to assist in my error please.

OH micro SD card is formatted to Fat under Win7,

OR should it be Fat32 ?? ( I am going to format with another A500 Tablet & hope it works better )

Also when I go to start it

Power on & hold Volume -, release power button when it vibrates / starts to boot , still hold down vol button

it shows on screen that its erasing data before booting & seeking the update.zip file from sd card etc..

SO it looks like its all doing what it should be , but then doesn't.

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Still looking for the reason why this flash recovery wont work.

Using various versions & ensuring all are renamed to update (update.zip file) & messages on booting are the same.

looking for / accessing update.zip file etc etc

Android guy sits there & now I cant even get the status bar below him , its just the guy 10 seconds & dead with his guts hanging out :(

Any thoughts or a correct file to go with the bootloader appreciated.

Am I doing something wrong OR is it that corrupt its stuffed ???

Thanks to you guru's for assistance

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Next instalment

My next instalment on the "unhappy" A501

I have moved my trying to an XP Pro SP3 machine.

I have installed the USB driver package & also the Windows update for the MTP.

I plug in & turn on , windows detects the Acer Iconia A500 & loads into Dev Manager as Acer MTP

It doesn't load enough to appear as a separate drive in the "My Computer" though.

I spose its a small step , but still getting no where.

Please Help :crying:

as I would like to hand this back as I need to move house & it will take some time for me to get setup again to be able to look at fixing it.

Ask for more info & I will reply ASAP

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Uninstalled the MTP update , same for the USB driver package & rebooted.

made sure the Acer dir had gone as well.

Installed USB driver pack again & looked at that it contains.. MTP folder & drivers are in there already ..

Still shows up as Acer MTP & nothing in My Computer.

I did see that it shows up with the yellow exclamation mark after a while & then re connects again. ??

IF I start Blackthunders A500 Filemanager using the power button / vol + & flicking the screen lock on/off, I start with Bootloader ver & "starting fastboot USB download protocol.

IS this any help to fix the tablet ??

edit : How do I confirm it has USB Debugging turned on IF I cant turn it on ???

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Hi Noel, sorry you got troubs:(

Your ext sd card should really be formatted via android, although there is a tool for windows you can use called sd_formatter, HP also have a formatting tool, google either one - I have previously posted the sd_format tool "here somewhere" will provide the link if I can track it down.

The drivers are the most important part of getting your tab up and running again.
If you have the Acer ones and the USB ones installed correctly, you should be good to go. In saying that, it can be a real biarch when you're in the position you're in.

Uninstall the acer drivers, reboot. Do not have your tab connected, wait for windows to fully start and its done updating itself or woteva it needs to do lol.
Run the driver exe. If your tab is not booting its hard to tell if usb debug is enabled or not. ANd windows will have trouble detecting it....sooooo......

Go to the root guide in my sig, post #2 download the "babsector file". You will also need to download an ics or jb rom, there is a stock rooted ics or you can use one of 'civato's' Flex roms - I'm still running one of his old ICS ones and it does me fine, I've not kept up with the latest roms, so I cannot help you much with that sorry!

Download your rom and put it on your sd card (if theres a formatting issue we will find out very soon!!!)

Babsector is run via your PC, now, win7 32bit systems work best for this, so if you aint got one, find a mate thats got one! You will save yourself alot of grief by not using win8. Even XP or vista will work!!

You'll need to enter your cpuid so keep that at the ready.
Babsector will flash cwm recovery and install the unlocked bootloader for you.
After running the first bat file, enter recovery and do a complete wipe, (enable data/media option) It has to be a FULL wipe theres no getting around it. And yes, do the wipe procedure at least TWICE!!!!

Once the wipes are done, flash the rom and then run the b.bat file for good measure. As long as you see the big white "PASS" after running each bat file, you're good to go.

IF there is a problem, babsector will output an error....post that and we'll go from there!

Good Luck
dibb

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Hi Noel, sorry you got troubs:(

Your ext sd card should really be formatted via android, although there is a tool for windows you can use called sd_formatter, HP also have a formatting tool, google either one - I have previously posted the sd_format tool "here somewhere" will provide the link if I can track it down.

The drivers are the most important part of getting your tab up and running again.
If you have the Acer ones and the USB ones installed correctly, you should be good to go. In saying that, it can be a real biarch when you're in the position you're in.

Uninstall the acer drivers, reboot. Do not have your tab connected, wait for windows to fully start and its done updating itself or woteva it needs to do lol.
Run the driver exe. If your tab is not booting its hard to tell if usb debug is enabled or not. ANd windows will have trouble detecting it....sooooo......

Go to the root guide in my sig, post #2 download the "babsector file". You will also need to download an ics or jb rom, there is a stock rooted ics or you can use one of 'civato's' Flex roms - I'm still running one of his old ICS ones and it does me fine, I've not kept up with the latest roms, so I cannot help you much with that sorry!

Download your rom and put it on your sd card (if theres a formatting issue we will find out very soon!!!)

Babsector is run via your PC, now, win7 32bit systems work best for this, so if you aint got one, find a mate thats got one! You will save yourself alot of grief by not using win8. Even XP or vista will work!!

You'll need to enter your cpuid so keep that at the ready.
Babsector will flash cwm recovery and install the unlocked bootloader for you.
After running the first bat file, enter recovery and do a complete wipe, (enable data/media option) It has to be a FULL wipe theres no getting around it. And yes, do the wipe procedure at least TWICE!!!!

Once the wipes are done, flash the rom and then run the b.bat file for good measure. As long as you see the big white "PASS" after running each bat file, you're good to go.

IF there is a problem, babsector will output an error....post that and we'll go from there!

Good Luck
dibb

Morning dibb

I have the Acer USB driver pack that has MTP files as well, is this all I need or maybe that's the start of my problems ??

( Acer ones and the USB ones installed correctly ?? )

1 of my many issues is that as its not my tablet , I don't have the cupid at all.
It wont start so I cant get it that way , & tried to connect with blackthunders A500 file manager as well but doesn't output any data that I can see / find.

Im thinking I have to flash with an unlocked bootloader before I can do anything - Yeah ??

I am quite happy to eventually go back to stock ICS @ the ends so anything is good.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
R u familiar with Linux at all, its the only way of retrieving yr cpuid.

If not, it will be a matter of finding an update.zip that will work 4 u. There is one in the root guide u can try?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
R u familiar with Linux at all, its the only way of retrieving yr cpuid.

If not, it will be a matter of finding an update.zip that will work 4 u. There is one in the root guide u can try?

Hi

Not played with any Linux before so this might be funny at best to say the least.

the update.zip you suggest , is that the HC 3.1 full ??? (then rename to update.zip) on sd card & try ??

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Yep, there's a guide stickied in general for using Linux to get it.

And yep the hc 3.1 FULL. If u get it booting you can OTA all the way to ics, but that's quite time consuming. So root it and install cwm, that will get u yr cpuid. After that unlock the boot loader!!!

I see there's a kit Kat Omnirom, based on civatos flex Rom, gonna give it a spin myself:)

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Yep, there's a guide stickied in general for using Linux to get it.

And yep the hc 3.1 FULL. If u get it booting you can OTA all the way to ics, but that's quite time consuming. So root it and install cwm, that will get u yr cpuid. After that unlock the boot loader!!!

I see there's a kit Kat Omnirom, based on civatos flex Rom, gonna give it a spin myself:)

Tried using USBdeview to get the cupid, found a sting with 15 character's so tried that with a "0" at the start.

used the SB calculator & then blackthunders APX flasher , but it didn't work.

got all the way through with out any issues , but didn't actually flash it

Had assistance from JdgM3NT4L but still trying

the issue is the CPUID though to ensure I have it

more help the better

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Tried using USBdeview to get the cupid, found a sting with 15 character's so tried that with a "0" at the start.

used the SB calculator & then blackthunders APX flasher , but it didn't work.

got all the way through with out any issues , but didn't actually flash it

Had assistance from JdgM3NT4L but still trying

the issue is the CPUID though to ensure I have it

more help the better

Hi dibb_nz

with lots of help from JdgM3NT4L I now have the cupid & can get through all of Blackthumders apx flasher up to the 2nd stage of the flashing where its uploading the image file.

it goes into this about 50 % then just hangs...

How long should it normally run for the flashing ??

Attachments

• flashing.JPG
    flashing.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Oh dear, this is not an error u want to see...Would explain the freezing issues. I've never seen a suuccesful solution for the ebt error. Just keep trying sooner or later it will flash....also the tdv4 file has been known to work , you'll be back on hc 3.2 with that but you'll have root and cwm if that's any consolation, lol...

The manual nvflash methods work best babsector or civs nvflash. If it is a faulty chip then even if u do get it booting it won't be a permanent fix.....

See how u go with the other methods k?

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Oh dear, this is not an error u want to see...Would explain the freezing issues. I've never seen a suuccesful solution for the ebt error. Just keep trying sooner or later it will flash....also the tdv4 file has been known to work , you'll be back on hc 3.2 with that but you'll have root and cwm if that's any consolation, lol...

The manual nvflash methods work best babsector or civs nvflash. If it is a faulty chip then even if u do get it booting it won't be a permanent fix.....

See how u go with the other methods k?

Looking for a link to civs nvflash...

is that on your pages as well , I haven't seen it as yet

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
Thanks

Is there any advantage to using XP rather than win7 ??

Ok

looks like its almost a lost cause..

using civs flasher in APX mode under win7

gets through the start of the flashing to failed executing command 25 NvError 0x120002
command failure: sync failed <bad data>
bootloader staus : Bct Write Failed <code22> message : nverror:0x42008 <0x6042008> flags :0

then it has *press anykey when your A500/501 is in botloader mode
press any key to continue .. so I did anyway

flashing bootloader : bootloader_v8.bin
nvflash started
[resume mode]
formatting partition 4 please wait.. command execution failed cmd 13, error0x120002
failed!
command failure: format partition failed <bad command>
bootloader status: unknown operation <code: 1> message: flags:0

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
When u tried the apxflash tool earlier, there's an option to "dump" yr bct - If u didn't do that try dumping it, and then choose " use saved bct' , sorry dude its been a loooong time since I've had to do it so I may not have the wording exactly right

*fergs*

Apr 24, 2014
Perth Australia
When u tried the apxflash tool earlier, there's an option to "dump" yr bct - If u didn't do that try dumping it, and then choose " use saved bct' , sorry dude its been a loooong time since I've had to do it so I may not have the wording exactly right

Ok thanks.

Will try that as well when I try #17 again shortly.

will make sure tablet is connected in APX before I click "dump"

I assume because I get all this way with multiple programs , the CPUID & SBK have to be correct ??