Netflix Dolby+ problem with Optical Connection

Search This thread

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
One of the reasons I bought the AFTV is the Optical port that in my mind would have helped with the horendeous delay I see through my Denon receiver when using HDMI sound.
Unfortunately, while I get Dolby+ when using HDMI for Netflix sound (set to Auto in Settings) I do NOT get the same (just stereo) when I force audio via the optical digital.

I'm a bit frustrated with the box as I already have an Ouya and Netflix HD and Dolby/DTS were the only reasons I got this device.
Let me tell you that the way one has to dance around for even the simplest tasks makes Ouya very "user friendly"...and believe me, if you check the Ouya forums you'll see frustration all over.

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
To the best of my knowledge, DD+ isn't carried over optical, so the box is down-mixing the signal to 2.0. What model Denon do you have? Mine is the 2310CL, and I have no lag at all.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
To the best of my knowledge, DD+ isn't carried over optical, so the box is down-mixing the signal to 2.0. What model Denon do you have? Mine is the 2310CL, and I have no lag at all.

Ha, I have the same year model but it's the 3310 :)

Weird, I have to compensate around 200ms to get lip-sync. No video processing for this input - so I have a hard time explaining why. I will have to find a DD/DTS movie to test, but as far as I can tell DD+ works over toslink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK - but sometimes those pages cannot be trusted. I seem to find conflicting info.

IIRC, I had a WD TV Live Plus that was getting DD+ from Netflix just fine - hooked to the same receiver.

I wouldn't care about optical if I could find the cause for the audio delay...open to suggestions.

Last edited:

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
Netflix DD+

I bought AFTV because of Netflix DD+ issues. I was using a Roku3 to a Vzio 54" 5.1 sound bar. Not optimal but I did not wish to drill holes in floor of my new house to do the rear channels. The Vizio sound bar will not handle DD+ at all. You get nothing but silence via HDMI which is all the Roku3 has. You can toggle to Stereo through the Netflix settings and do 2-channel.

The AFTV allows you to select Optical as the output for 5.1. It DOES downcode the DD+ to DD, NOT STEREO, as the DD indicator light comes on.

As for the Vizio soundbar, don't buy it. A BIG $500 mistake. Not only is it old tech it has only one HDMI Input. Adding a $100 for AFTV and $50 for an HDMI Switch would have bought me a decent up-to-date AVR system. Big mistake but I bought I nice long flexible drill bit to route cables up or down inside walls. Live and learn.

Anyway, AFTV does output DD+ as DD through Optical if your setup does not support DD+.