Should RADIO be bundled with XDA Live v0.30?

Should RADIO be bundled with XDA Live v0.30?

• Yes

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 60 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Squuiid

Feb 11, 2004
I think it is important that all people testing this rom have the best radio suited to it.
This would eliminate some of the connection issues people are clogging the forum with. Several reported user issues have been due to them using old RADIO versions that don't work well with WM6.
We need to bug fix the ROM, connection problems are more likely to be RADIO related than ROM related.

Kyphur has asked me to start a poll asking:

SHOULD THE BEST WORKING RADIO BE BUNDLED WITH THE NEXT XDA LIVE RELEASE? v0.30

What do you think?

ndcart

Nov 1, 2006
Dumb question, but is there any "easy" way to downgrade the radio if the device needs to be sent in for warranty? :confused:

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
I still say no, thw whole point behind cooking ROMs is customisation, the only thing Kyphur will have to concentrate on is the OS making it better than if he had to work on radio aswell, also what happens to use people who have a new version of the radio (1.35.00.11 for example) do we have to downgrade?!

Any radio problems can be narrowed down to just the individual radio versions and not blamed on Kyphur aswell!?

I say we mix and match our OS/ExtROM/Radio etc... as we like and let Kyphur get on with developing this (already brilliant) ROM.

richy240

Jun 3, 2006
H-Town, sucka!
I think people should install the Radio ROM they prefer, not be forced into an update if it's not necessary.

Now, if we could just crack that ExtROM...

Squuiid

Feb 11, 2004
I still say no, thw whole point behind cooking ROMs is customisation, the only thing Kyphur will have to concentrate on is the OS making it better than if he had to work on radio aswell, also what happens to use people who have a new version of the radio (1.35.00.11 for example) do we have to downgrade?!

Any radio problems can be narrowed down to just the individual radio versions and not blamed on Kyphur aswell!?

I say we mix and match our OS/ExtROM/Radio etc... as we like and let Kyphur get on with developing this (already brilliant) ROM.

Fair points!

How about just a RADIO recommendation from Kyphur then? You're right, lets not add extra workload, just make a suggestion as to which radio instead?
Users can then make their own minds up as you suggest.

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
Fair points!

How about just a RADIO recommendation from Kyphur then? You're right, lets not add extra workload, just make a suggestion as to which radio instead?

A radio recommendation would be a good idea, like at the moment I gather from numerous posts radio 1.27 and hihger would be the preferred to use.

(P.s: sorry I read my last post, looked kinda forcefull)

Kartboy

Oct 17, 2006
Antwerp
(not a noob but not an expert :s)

what is the best radio to use tho? hehe
if i go to the wiki page download the 1.35.00.11 Download note: GPS Enabled!

run it
(same installer as for the rom)
and i go for it?
will it change anything to the current config?

thx a Lot

richy240

Jun 3, 2006
H-Town, sucka!
(not a noob but not an expert :s)

what is the best radio to use tho? hehe
if i go to the wiki page download the 1.35.00.11 Download note: GPS Enabled!

run it
(same installer as for the rom)
and i go for it?
will it change anything to the current config?

thx a Lot

Test a few and find which one works best for you... It's amazing how little people are willing to experiment.

(I guess I was asking a lot of questions regarding ROM building, but that's something that could seriously screw a phone if you're not careful and I can't afford another Hermes right now!)

cuccureddu

Nov 17, 2006
Madrid
A radio recommendation would be a good idea, like at the moment I gather from numerous posts radio 1.27 and hihger would be the preferred to use.

I agree. Just recommend a min version and leave the ROM with OS only.

I can think of 2 more reasons for not bundling the radio, further to what has been said above:

1) you avoid making the upgrade process process longer and
2)if people have a preference for a particular radio (different than what is bundled), they would need to reflash their radio every time they upgrade the ROM from 0.3 to 0.4 and to 0.5, ...,etc.

Kartboy

Oct 17, 2006
Antwerp
Test a few and find which one works best for you... It's amazing how little people are willing to experiment.

(I guess I was asking a lot of questions regarding ROM building, but that's something that could seriously screw a phone if you're not careful and I can't afford another Hermes right now!)

Why experiment when u got all this knowledge grouped in a forum,
not knowing if u might brick ur phone or not ;)

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
IMHO radio should not be included with xda-live distribution. If flash fails while flashing OS or splash screens, nothing happens to the device, but if flash fails when flashing radio device is more dificult to unbrick.

I think the user should choose which radio he wants to have, and we do provide ways of upgrading only the radio.

ach2

Feb 7, 2007
Hotels everywhere
An emphatic NO - don't include a radio.

1. One of the original ideas of this rom was to provide a stable OS with as few add-ons as possible.

2. This WIKI and forum encourages and helps us to learn about our phones, make informed judgements and customise to suit ourselves. OS, software, use, location etc are all user specific. What works for you doesn't work always for me.

3. There is already a suggestion of US and Rest of World roms to fix localised problems (PTT vs video). Does Kyphur then have to release these versions with & without his (our) chosen radio? Do each of these 4 roms also have to be released with & without Adobe? (now 8 roms)... etc, etc...

4. I travel all over the world with my job and I notice a good radio in UK doesn't work so well in China, Brazil, US etc. Which radio should I vote for? Or should we release the above rom versions with every available radio?

5. If we get Kyphur and the development team to embed a radio what's our next collective request?

6. Having everything done for me takes the fun out of having a Hermes - If I want to just wait for someone to solve my problem I might as well wait for Vodafone or HTC to release an update.

7. We already see loads of questions/complaints/comments about the few apps which are embedded in WMXL so the dev. team are now acting as tech support instead of developing more stuff for us to play with. If they get bored with this role they may stop - then who do we turn to for the next release of WMXL?

So, instead of including a radio I would prefer to see a WIKI which tells us how better to analyse the radio we have and maybe to compare the available radios for reception, data, country of use etc.

If Kyphur doesn't mind all the extra work and can release all the different versions then fine, but I'd rather let him work on a stable OS first.

Only my ideas, I'm sure others will disagree :)

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
Adding a Raido will add to the argument as to which is best? There are plenty of installs to do yourself. If you got the balls to do a ROM upgrade then download and install the Radio RUU of your choice before or after as you like.

doul39

Feb 13, 2007
I agree

Fair points!

I agree, a list would be better, obviously if you are looking at GPS (here here)
you would need a different radio.

kudos to the gurus!

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
Because different Radio Roms work better in different regions of the world and even with different OS Roms.

That is a lesson learned the hard way from Wizard & AKU 3.x. Ironically T-Mobile NL 2.19 Radio never missed a call with AKU 3.x or WM6 but Cingular's 2.25 Radio was a dog in the Chicago area!

Personally, I would stay away from any of the Trinity GPS enabled Radio Roms (end in .x1) because they just add yet another element into the mix and the goal of this project is stable WM6 not GPS..

Why experiment when u got all this knowledge grouped in a forum,
not knowing if u might brick ur phone or not ;)

lpsi2000

Jan 16, 2004
TriState
That will be BIG NO for me to include radio. As said in previous posts, there are various radios out there and depending on where you are will get different results. Recommending which radio worked well for you at your location with x version of ROM is the best thing in my mine.

I am currently using 1.27 and it seems to work well for me and I won't change until I see a reason to do so (e.g. feature, service, etc...). So I definitely would not want to be force into another radio (although I can just extract the OS and flash with TTY).

smarty77

Oct 19, 2006
a wiki page is a better idea

I think that a sub page of the wiki special for the radio rom is the best solution...

Everybody can add their experience with any version of the radio rom...
A fool proof installer sounds a very very good idea for me!! ;)

Is it possible to return to your original radio rom (or dump it) Radio rom 1.13??

staulkor

Jan 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Why dont you have the option for 0.3 with and without the radio rom. Before I put 0.1 on my hermes, I had 1.34 for my radio rom. I am going to attempt to get gps working soon, so before I upgarded to 0.1, I flashed my radio.

I think a lot of people that are holding out for a later version of WXML may be in the same problem that I had, that is, not having the latest radio rom.

Ninja1

Nov 17, 2006
Castro Valley, CA
Radios? We don't need no stinking radios! Sorry I couldn't resist...

Seriously, pof and the rest are right. Radio selection is highly variable based on location and carrier. Let the end user decide. Having said that, knowing the radios and locations/carriers that the ROM was tested in could be useful information.

Ninja1

Status
Not open for further replies.