[APP] [LWP] Smoke Play beta

Search This thread

buzzboy

Oct 29, 2010
Canterbury
My sgs2 is smoking!

Impressions are good, although with a blank initial screen, thought something was wrong until I touched it...(Duh I know).

A wee bit pixilated but understand the universal performance issue, which would slow most devices dramatically If at a higher resolution.

It reminds me of a app called Fleya, which is on the market, if you are not familiar with it, check it out.

But this is a great start, and being a fan of fluid / smoke dynamic simulations, this is a keeper:)

Will be following this.

Well done and thanks.

Regards

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1316812345464.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1316812345464.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,066
Reactions: Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Thanks buzzboy.

Yeah, I am also a fan of fleya!

I've got quite a lot to add to Smoke Play to get it to where I want it. I've been messing around with some settings and superficial stuff for about a week so I thought it just needs to get out there.

My ideas for features are:

• a settings activity where you can up the detail and iterations on the fluid solver for more powerful phones
  • expose all the smoke (or fluid) properties to be customisable
  • define some cool pre-sets
  • coloured smoke that mixes (have this working on my laptop)
  • continuous auto-sources of smoke
  • objects (draw shapes) in the path of the smoke
  • calculated objects field from the homescreen icons (smoke collides with your icons)
  • an auto-config activity which scales the detail up or down to optimise quality on all phones
  • maybe put an ad in the settings activity

I'm not sure what order I'll do things in. I think some sort of settings screen will be up next.

I'm keen to hear other ideas too!

Cheers,

-=JK=-

Reactions: buzzboy

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Just made an update, check it out!

Added features:
- smoothed the input
- added multitouch
- added a settings screen to make the level of detail user configurable

The "medium" level of detail is about right for my SGS ... so you can judge the right setting for your phone.

Cheers,

-=JK=-

Reactions: buzzboy

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Another update:

- tweaked the settings for the different levels of detail smoke

- fixed a memory usage bug (will keep an eye on this, difficult to reproduce)

Cheers,

-=JK=-

Paradoxxx

Aug 14, 2008
Krakow
Nice, runs at very high on my DHD, nice work.
Sent from HydrOG3N MOD DHD.
Technology Evolves, Android Evolves.
HydrOG3N is THE Revolution.

Waffle265

Dec 18, 2010
This is very entertaining. I am looking forward to the features you want to implement.

How about accelerometer detection so the smoke rises accordingly, depending on how the phone is being held.

neohero

Jul 27, 2010
I wallpaper works in the preview mode but will not apply to homescreen. One suggestion I can think of is being able to change the background image. It would be awesome to be able to have a weed background with dynamic smoke

Sent from my Hero CDMA using XDA App

Orangestrat

Jul 27, 2010
Edmonton
This wallpaper is amazing. The only thing it really needs is a certain amount of smoke as a sort of baseline so that I don't have a blank phone every time I wake it up. It is pretty nifty that the screen comes alive the first time you touch it though..

anti-s

Sep 13, 2010
Nice!

Working great on my SGS running on High detail. Very nice work!
Hope to see implementation of accelerometer and colors.

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Thanks for the feedback everyone, great to hear!

I wanted to make more updates, but I've been a bit tight for time recently. Some of the feedback I've had is that it looks pixelated so I've been unsuccessfully trying to work on a simple shader to smooth the rendering. I may not be able to make this work, but I'd like to. For those interested, the fluid sim uses C code via the NDK so this may be complicating things for me ... also shaders will not work below Android 2.2 which adds complication.

Colour is definitely coming, I have this working with a simple RGB colours in my test code. I want a nice way to choose colours in the settings screen. Any suggestions around this would be cool.

Accelerometer detection will come, but this will be slightly more tricky than colour and may take me a little time.

A constant source of some smoke (so there is something always on the screen) will be a later addition.

I haven't looked at transparency over a background image yet.

Cheers,

-=JK=-

riverstudd

Jan 1, 2011
i love this man its very nice. the updates you want to do are sounding great too! one thing i do want to add is an idea for it. maybe when you get the constant smoke source try having so your touches dont always produce smoke but can just twirl it and influence it. like have a setting where you can turn on constant smoke and then play with it. But its great so far keep up the work!

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Hi Guys,

Got an update out! (finally)

This one includes:

- a bug fix of a known issue in OpenGL which was causing a crash when switching between the app and the wallpaper every now and then

- a smoothing renderer. This takes the edges off the pixelated look which was the main feedback I was getting.

I went down and back several paths to try and smooth the rendering. I'm fairly happy with it. The levels of detail for the fluid simulation are the same as before, but it divides each cell into 4 and does a sort of subtle bloom effect prior to the gl rendering calls.
Hope this improves the look and feel for people.

I looked at porting to OpenGL ES 2.0 (from 1.0), but it was just too difficult for what I was doing. If anyone knows a good tutorial to do this I may look into it in the future. I think the shader effects available in 2.0 would further improve / customise the visuals.

Cheers,

-=JK=-

PS - next up: accelerometer (then coloured smoke / constant sources)

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Version 1.8 up on the market.

Added continuous source mode: smoke is continuously added to the middle of the screen, swipe to push it around with forces.

Added simple colour: cycles through RGB when you touch the screen.

Next up: background image, colour picker.

Cheers,

-=JK=-

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Hi jknut,

I'm sorry it's pixelated on your device.
You can try upping the smoke level of detail in the options.

Unfortunately, this will increase the number of calculations per frame and may slow it down to a crawl.

There's not a lot I can do about this ... the algorithm is implemented in C via the NDK so it's not going to get much faster. I have implemented a fixed point version which gave a slight speed increase but unacceptable precision for the effect.

Even on my Core i5 laptop I can easily make it grind to a halt on a detail setting not much more than the "are you feeling lucky" one.

Cheers,
-=JK=-

PS - more features to follow, just swamped with work right now :mad:

Juan Kerr

Jul 3, 2011
Version 1.9!

Hi all,

New version just released.

Features added:
- colour picker, so you can choose your own colours
- background images you can pick

Check out the new youtube video demonstrating here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5wahetEEA&feature=youtu.be

Android Market link:
https://market.android.com/details?id=ph.android.smokeLWP

Facebook link for the app:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smoke-Play/181185655317341

As ever, comments welcome.

I have a next feature in mind, but not sure it is possible yet :D

Cheers,
-=JK=-

Reactions: williamfold

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

My second app is up on the marketplace:

https://market.android.com/details?id=ph.android.smokeLWP

It's a fluid solver driven live wallpaper and stand-alone app.
    The effect is a simple but satisfying dynamic smoke.

Youtube video to follow tomorrow.

I would really appreciate your feedback and feature requests!

Cheers,

-=JK=-
    My sgs2 is smoking!

Impressions are good, although with a blank initial screen, thought something was wrong until I touched it...(Duh I know).

A wee bit pixilated but understand the universal performance issue, which would slow most devices dramatically If at a higher resolution.

It reminds me of a app called Fleya, which is on the market, if you are not familiar with it, check it out.

But this is a great start, and being a fan of fluid / smoke dynamic simulations, this is a keeper:)

Will be following this.

Well done and thanks.

Regards
    With reference to the "Fleya" app for reference.

www.appbrain.com/app/fleya/fixedpointcode.fleya

Cheers
    Thanks buzzboy.

Yeah, I am also a fan of fleya!

I've got quite a lot to add to Smoke Play to get it to where I want it. I've been messing around with some settings and superficial stuff for about a week so I thought it just needs to get out there.

My ideas for features are:

• a settings activity where you can up the detail and iterations on the fluid solver for more powerful phones
    • expose all the smoke (or fluid) properties to be customisable
    • define some cool pre-sets
    • coloured smoke that mixes (have this working on my laptop)
    • continuous auto-sources of smoke
    • objects (draw shapes) in the path of the smoke
    • calculated objects field from the homescreen icons (smoke collides with your icons)
    • an auto-config activity which scales the detail up or down to optimise quality on all phones
    • maybe put an ad in the settings activity

I'm not sure what order I'll do things in. I think some sort of settings screen will be up next.

I'm keen to hear other ideas too!

Cheers,

-=JK=-
    Just made an update, check it out!

Added features:
    - smoothed the input
    - added multitouch
    - added a settings screen to make the level of detail user configurable

The "medium" level of detail is about right for my SGS ... so you can judge the right setting for your phone.

Cheers,

-=JK=-