HTC EVO 4G LTE News-Videos/Pics [Official Thread]

Search This thread

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Well, like I said, keep it in context.

Is development totally dead and non existent on this device? Of course not. And you may be happy with it. That's fine.

BUT, like I said, the Evo 3D has almost twice as many threads in the dev section posted in today. And the Evo 3D is a discontinued device that was considered to have weak dev support even back when it was the flagship HTC device on Sprint.

So, when I said this Evo LTE would have low dev support, you have to consider the context in which it was said. That was at the peak of the Evo 3D's lifespan. It (the 3D) had way more dev support than it (the 3D) does right now. And even so, lots of people were saying they'd never buy another 3D phone, or another Wimax phone, because the dev support on the 3D was so little. But right now, today, the now discontinued Evo 3D, which you said in your post had little support (you actually said I was complaining about things on the 3D not being supported, same difference) but that Evo 3D right now today has almost twice as many dev threads getting posted in than this Evo LTE.

So you may be happy with your device, and that is a good thing. But if you actually look at the facts here, I was pretty much correct. If you thought the Evo 3D had little dev support, then either you think the Evo LTE has little dev support (even less than the 3D in its prime) or you have changed your standards for what you consider "little" dev support to be.

never ever did i say the evo 3d had little dev support...only time those words have come out of my mouth have been when responding to ppl that have stated such...

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
never ever did i say the evo 3d had little dev support...only time those words have come out of my mouth have been when responding to ppl that have stated such...
Well I know lots of people were saying the dev support was so low on the 3D that they would never buy another 3D or Wimax phone. But what you specifically said in your "bump" post was:
So.....think this whole development on the EVO LTE is gonna stink still?.......

While Slim is complaining about lack of support for some of his things in 3D land, we are getting bombarded with outstanding work here.....Oh and we are still locked down too!...only had SOFF for about the same amount of time as the 3D did at its start.

Yeah I dug this thread up so what. lol

So it's appropriate for me to point out that the Evo 3D, right now, today, has almost twice as many dev threads that got posted in than the Evo LTE. And the Evo 3D dev section is a shadow of its former self. At the time when I predicted the low dev support for the Evo LTE, the Evo 3D probably had twice as many active threads in the dev section than it has today.

Last edited:

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Well I know lots of people were saying the dev support was so low on the 3D that they would never buy another 3D or Wimax phone. But what you specifically said in your "bump" post was:

So it's appropriate for me to point out that the Evo 3D, right now, today, has almost twice as many dev threads that got posted in than the Evo LTE. And the Evo 3D dev section is a shadow of it's former self. At the time when I predicted the low dev support for the Evo LTE, the Evo 3D probably had twice as many active threads in the dev section than it has today.

haha what you quoted me in bold there was referring to your comments over in the 3D section. lol
Well MeanROM is pretty much dead (he moved onto another device) so I hope you're not going to be using it as the base anymore.
Are there still devs working on kernels for this device or have they all moved on to the GS3 and Evo LTE?

SoraX64

Aug 23, 2010
Frederick, Maryland (Hood College)
So it's appropriate for me to point out that the Evo 3D, right now, today, has almost twice as many dev threads that got posted in than the Evo LTE. And the Evo 3D dev section is a shadow of its former self. At the time when I predicted the low dev support for the Evo LTE, the Evo 3D probably had twice as many active threads in the dev section than it has today.

This phone is only two months old so the number of people who have it now is smaller than the number of people who have the 3D. People are still transitioning every day. It isn't a "snap your fingers and we're done" kind of deal here; people need to buy the device and move on from their previous one. Developers will also tend to support devices that they've upgraded from, so the 3D would have kept a few developers from that.

Bottom line: The 3D has more people posting because more people are still using the phone. The 3D was available for a year to purchase, and you can still buy it used from other places, while the LTE has only been available for two months. You can't compare a matured development community with a new one that's starting to get up and running. If you compared development for this phone now compared with development a month ago, there is a huge difference. It's growing every day.

Reactions: mthii and xclusivx

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
This phone is only two months old so the number of people who have it now is smaller than the number of people who have the 3D. People are still transitioning every day. It isn't a "snap your fingers and we're done" kind of deal here; people need to buy the device and move on from their previous one. Developers will also tend to support devices that they've upgraded from, so the 3D would have kept a few developers from that.

Bottom line: The 3D has more people posting because more people are still using the phone. The 3D was available for a year to purchase, and you can still buy it used from other places, while the LTE has only been available for two months. You can't compare a matured development community with a new one that's starting to get up and running. If you compared development for this phone now compared with development a month ago, there is a huge difference. It's growing every day.
I get that. I'm not saying the Evo LTE will never pass the Evo 3D for dev support. Sarge made a post basically taunting me for lack of Evo 3D support, so I pointed out that the supposed lack of support is still better than what I would currently have with this Evo LTE.

And the reason he made the post is because I predicted the Evo LTE would have limited dev support. And the time when I made that prediction the Evo 3D had twice as much dev support as it has right now, and it was still (by most people) considered to have very little dev support.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
I get that. I'm not saying the Evo LTE will never pass the Evo 3D for dev support. Sarge made a post basically taunting me for lack of Evo 3D support, so I pointed out that the supposed lack of support is still better than what I would currently have with this Evo LTE.

ugh you still dont get it....

im done, not worth it.....enjoy your most active day in awhile in a forum you dont own a device for...:p

good times as always.

Reactions: mthii and raiderep

raiderep

Feb 4, 2010
Eureka, CA
ugh you still dont get it....

im done, not worth it.....enjoy your most active day in awhile in a forum you dont own a device for...:p

good times as always.

Thanks for the interesting reading, well sort of. It seems like sarge has a good point and we have a lawyer in here that refuses to lose lol....carry on my wayward son...

Sent from my EVO

Reactions: mthii and Emerl

mthii

Jul 4, 2010
California

And the reason he made the post is because I predicted the Evo LTE would have limited dev support. And the time when I made that prediction the Evo 3D had twice as much dev support as it has right now, and it was still (by most people) considered to have very little dev support.

Let it go man... Seriously

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
Thanks for the interesting reading, well sort of. It seems like sarge has a good point and we have a lawyer in here that refuses to lose lol....carry on my wayward son...

Sent from my EVO

Let it go man... Seriously

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It's funny that someone can bump an old and dead thread with the sole purpose of saying Slim was wrong." And when I reply to his post pointing out that all the facts indicate I was correct, everyone tells me to let it go like I'm the one who bumped it or something, lol.

Riff76

Feb 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Google Pixel 6
Yea son, I'm back. You thought *****blood could stop me? I already warned watermelon, I won't be surprised if he is banners for "not cooperating with mods". Join Anthrax to see me in the real. The mods can't touch me there, I AM A MOD.....

King Kang... Ain't got SH!T ON ME!!!!!

A few mods posted their pic after you got banned in your other thread

Sent via XDA Premium

Top Liked Posts