[FIX] GPS Fix per Verizon Rep for S3

Search This thread

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
I posted this for a new member who could not post on his own. Welcome and thank Silver1882 for this potentially great find if it can be proven out by the senior members that have documented this problem with GPS. If it can't be proven we will pull it down and/or the mods can move it as a potential fix to general.

"My gps wasn't working on my phone. I took it to the Verizon store after I had flashed back to stock, they messed with it for a little while and then ordered me a refurbished one. I received it the next day and when I powered it on guess what the gps didn't work. So I called tech support and to my surprise the person that answered the phone actually knew what she was talking about.

She told me the gps issue is a Samsung issue, (even though is only effects Verizon and sprint phones) they are working on an update to fix it. But in the mean time she told me how to do a work around to get it working. Here is what she had me do."

Go to Settings
Application manager
click all at top
go to Google services framework
clear data

go to settings
Application manager
click all at top
go to maps
clear data
uninstall updates

Go to location services
turn off VZW Location service(leave it off to)

Power cycle phone
update maps from android market

now the gps should be working.

"After she walked me threw that I went back to my original phone and tried it on that one to and my gps started working on that one also so I sent Verizon there refurbished one back.

I hope this helps others and they will quick blaming the ROM for the problem."

Thanks Silver. I will bookmark this one as I have seen this reported on all rom thread.:cool:

devilchrist

Oct 15, 2010
wonder if everyone should do this after flashing a ROM, because I had this problem when I went to Cleanrom. back to stock using clockwork nandroid and no GPS issues.

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
wonder if everyone should do this after flashing a ROM, because I had this problem when I went to Cleanrom. back to stock using clockwork nandroid and no GPS issues.
That is what we are trying to find out. Much better than flash unknown configuration files and such. If this works it looks to be much safer and actually looks like a benign solution that if it doesn't work can't make the problem worse. If it is a known issue by Samsung/Verizon there will be an upcoming fix and this could be a safe work around until then. :cool:

Reactions: yutsoku

azumandias

Nov 19, 2010
Midwest
A VZ rep tells you to leave off VZ location services, I love it! I've actually never enabled it and never had a GPS problem between flashes. I guess paranoia pays off sometimes.

--
Sent on the fly.

rmtobler

Sep 21, 2010
Well I just happen to have my original phone and a refurbished phone sitting in front of me because the GPS was crap on my original. With the refurb the GPS works great.

I hate to report this because I wish it was true/worked but i just followed the instructions on my original phone but it is still sitting here 2 minutes (now 5) with no lock indoors.

I still don't believe the gps issue can be fixed with any software tweaks. The only way the gps finally started working on the original samsung galaxy s (after trying everything) was from a kernel fix. Once a dev fixed it, everyone's phone had great gps (which works better than the gs3 gps). Too bad JT1134 turned on some people's offer for a bounty phone to get him working on this.

Besides if this did fix the GPS wouldn't a factory reset fix the GPS?

Last edited:

Nnyan

Aug 24, 2010
Sacramento
I must be lucky but i have great GPS in stock based ROMS (not so good in AOSP). Get first lock in 2s and less then 4s max. Quickly get to 3 meters and fast lock in Google maps, Waze, etc... Can post some screens if need be.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

dvaderx

Oct 19, 2010
what if you don't use google maps for GPS? (what if it's not installed in the 1st place?)
it seems like the fix is based on gmaps data?

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
I must be lucky but i have great GPS in stock based ROMS (not so good in AOSP). Get first lock in 2s and less then 4s max. Quickly get to 3 meters and fast lock in Google maps, Waze, etc... Can post some screens if need be.

I have to agree. Mine is the same. Get auto lock as soon as app is opened and shows me in this chair in front of my laptop. What we need to find out is how many this works for. So far by polling threads against posts in this thread it is about even for and against. It is early but you always have people on both sides and those that refuse to believe and think it is the devs fault. We supposedly have Verrizon/Samsung saying it's their fault and have to see where it goes. We have too many on different roms including stock unrooted that are having the same problem to tie it to the rom devs. :cool:

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
what if you don't use google maps for GPS? (what if it's not installed in the 1st place?)
it seems like the fix is based on gmaps data?
Android and Samsung/Verizon unless it is a dev phone did not not design the phone to be used without Google Maps. They have to have a reference for them to test and calibrate. Google Maps is a standard that most 3rd party apps work off. Just my thoughts and may be baseless but have to have a standard to calibrate to which is latitude and longitude. That being said without the maps you would not know if it was right or wrong. If their modem calibration is off it is off on all apps. The main thing is do you acheive lock on multiple satellites. Basically what I read on this fix is to turn off other radios and towers so GPS can get a fix without tower triangulation interference. Does it work. I have no idea since mine works fine. Is it worth a shot if you can't get a lock. I would think so.

Last edited:

sams27

May 10, 2011
California
Sorry for the noob question, but what exactly does "power cycle phone" mean? Isn't that just a restart?

Last edited:

cdiesel

May 31, 2009
jus flashed synergy rom and cant get my gps to work. even with google selected the navi wont start up..i tried the first step but Google services framework isnt even listed

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
Sorry for the noob question, but what exactly does "power cycle phone" mean? Isn't that just a restart?

Reboot/restart

jus flashed synergy rom and cant get my gps to work. even with google selected the navi wont start up..i tried the first step but Google services framework isnt even listed

I'm on Synergy and it is listed same as stock rom.

Homescreen>Menu button>Settings>Application Manager>All> Scroll down to Google Services Framework

epagib

Aug 25, 2012
Tried this thrice. No GPS lock. Bummer.

Sent from a SYNERGIZED GalaxySIII

cdiesel

May 31, 2009
Reboot/restart

I'm on Synergy and it is listed same as stock rom.

Homescreen>Menu button>Settings>Application Manager>All> Scroll down to Google Services Framework
after a bunch of factory wipes it finally showed up but my gps still isnt working.. whenever i start the navi the drop down box will only disappear when standalone gps service is selected..even when i click the gps icon in the pull down standalone is what is chosen.. dont know what to do:confused:

edit.. there isnt an uninstall update for me either just uninstall google maps

Last edited:

digitalsynner85

Sep 15, 2011
New Iberia, Louisiana
On jellwhiz, i used gps status and was coming around with it and it funked up my orientation and resetting Google services framework, clearing data, uninstalling updates to map and clearing data followed by a reset fixed my gps calibration

Beamed via NFC through the local store to the internet from my SGS3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I posted this for a new member who could not post on his own. Welcome and thank Silver1882 for this potentially great find if it can be proven out by the senior members that have documented this problem with GPS. If it can't be proven we will pull it down and/or the mods can move it as a potential fix to general.

"My gps wasn't working on my phone. I took it to the Verizon store after I had flashed back to stock, they messed with it for a little while and then ordered me a refurbished one. I received it the next day and when I powered it on guess what the gps didn't work. So I called tech support and to my surprise the person that answered the phone actually knew what she was talking about.

She told me the gps issue is a Samsung issue, (even though is only effects Verizon and sprint phones) they are working on an update to fix it. But in the mean time she told me how to do a work around to get it working. Here is what she had me do."

Go to Settings
    Application manager
    click all at top
    go to Google services framework
    clear data

go to settings
    Application manager
    click all at top
    go to maps
    clear data
    uninstall updates

Go to location services
    turn off VZW Location service(leave it off to)

Power cycle phone
    update maps from android market

now the gps should be working.

"After she walked me threw that I went back to my original phone and tried it on that one to and my gps started working on that one also so I sent Verizon there refurbished one back.

I hope this helps others and they will quick blaming the ROM for the problem."

Thanks Silver. I will bookmark this one as I have seen this reported on all rom thread.:cool:
    Simple mechanical GPS fix involving tightening the back frame of the phone

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. I'd like to mention that the solution may not work for all but it did work for me after I tried just about every fix possible. For example I flashed back to stock, performed numerous battery pulls, used many of the AGPS patches, made numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioned my phone, checked different ROMs, uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, cleared data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on.

I tried all of the above methods because my GPS would take forever to get a fix both indoors and outdoors (I know it usually takes longer to get a fix indoors), wouldn't hold the fix while navigating and my GPS apps kept stating "Searching for GPS", would see 20+ satellites but would never lock on to them...man it was really frustrating. I just about gave up.

However, as I was trying to follow another procedure to fix my GPS which required me to pull my battery I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! I've tested for a day and I consistently got a lock on the satellites in about 2-15 seconds depending on my location. My navigation also worked and wouldn't cut in and out.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a GS3 definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure everything is secure. I've tried my GPS on the stock and CM 10 stable ROMs and I have achieved GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. Maybe this has already been shared but I figured I would post in case some of you haven't seen it yet.

Cheers.
    Since this was just replied ro and as an fyi to anyone else that stumbles by:

Guys, this thread is ancient. The information in it applied to the ORIGINAL 4.0.4 version of android (I think). Before being necro'ed this thread had been dead for well over a year.

Probably best move along and let this die now.
    A VZ rep tells you to leave off VZ location services, I love it! I've actually never enabled it and never had a GPS problem between flashes. I guess paranoia pays off sometimes.

--
    Sent on the fly.
    "Please enable Google Services Location"

If you get this message, go into your Google account and enable sharing of location. I don't know why clearing services framework clears this option. I've never seen it before.

Remember its under your account settings, Google account.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2