[Q] What Micro SD to get?

Search This thread

glitchhawk

Jun 4, 2013
Fairfield
I guess it depends on what you will mainly be using it for. I have an old class 10 64gb card that still works sufficiently even for running games directly from it.

I believe the shield's SD slot is pretty high quality so I would imagine it can use the faster speed cards.. but most of us are gonna be looking for more space for games considering games like HL2 take around 2gb or more.

TLDR: get the 128gb imo.

MRobbo80

Apr 9, 2013
South Petherton
What Micro SD should I get.

1. A smaller but faster Micro SD (64 GB 80MB/s)

2. Bigger but slower (128GB 48MB) Class10

Do you you notice the speed difference between 48 and 80 MB/s. Make a difference on my DSLR, but not sure if the Shield will take advantage of the speed.

Personally I was in the same situation I to have a DSLR and I went for the speed 64GB

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I'm using a class 10 32gb card and I have all my games on it using folder mount and I do not notice any lag or slow loading of games. I think the only time you would want anything faster is if you record a lot of videos. Otherwise I don't think it's necessary.

jaredmorgs

Apr 12, 2012
Brisbane
I'm using a class 10 32gb card and I have all my games on it using folder mount and I do not notice any lag or slow loading of games. I think the only time you would want anything faster is if you record a lot of videos. Otherwise I don't think it's necessary.
Same type of card for me as well. I think mine is about a 35mb/s speed. Plenty fast enough for offloading game assets from what I've experienced to date.

marcoplo

Nov 4, 2010
I am dont sure, I have sandisk ultra 64gb (30mb/s) and pny (64gb) 90mb/s elite performance, I dont feel tangible improvements in much extend. The only time i really did feel the difference was when ripped some 4k movies from youtube... and some pdf's over 200 pages in size.:silly:

Last edited:

loismustdie555

Aug 12, 2011
Seattle - USA
I ordered a 128GB (New version) ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M562LF4/ )
And it will be here tonight. I don't have my shield tablet yet. I managed to snag one from the official amazon shipment that sold out in a matter of minutes. Which should be here on Friday or Monday.

I do have a Verizon HTC One Max as my daily driver. I do understand it's a different device. But I will do some tests on the HTC and the exact same tests on the Shield Tablet when it arrives.
I'm new to testing SD cards. So if people could make a list of what tests they'd like me to run I would be happy to run them. :)

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I ordered a 128GB (New version) ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M562LF4/ )
And it will be here tonight. I don't have my shield tablet yet. I managed to snag one from the official amazon shipment that sold out in a matter of minutes. Which should be here on Friday or Monday.

I do have a Verizon HTC One Max as my daily driver. I do understand it's a different device. But I will do some tests on the HTC and the exact same tests on the Shield Tablet when it arrives.
I'm new to testing SD cards. So if people could make a list of what tests they'd like me to run I would be happy to run them. :)

Its down to $99. Couldn't resist and bought one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

kamranhaghighi

Apr 8, 2012
Orgrimmar
i don't have one yet, but i would put all my games on internal if i had space , i mean only games ! and than few apps and other stuff on sd card :) if you don't have space a better sdcard as i know only reduces loading times which can make your gallery lag if its slow ! (when you start it, it reads pictures from sd card, even if you don't have pictures there it will check there as i know)