[Q] Dev Edition: Cannot apply OTA update 2.22.1540.4, fails partway through

Search This thread

us3rnotfound

Jul 27, 2014
I have the AT&T version, but I did S-Off, converted to the Dev Edition (CID BS_US002) and now have the stock recovery back on because I'm trying to apply the OTA update which provides a patch to the GPS.

I've applied a previous OTA successfully (after I went back to a stock recovery, of course).

But this time, it fails partway through and shows the red triangle with exclamation point. I was able to boot the phone to Recovery and do a Vol+ & Power which enabled me to select a handful of different options, chose to do the option of installing an OTA .zip file. Anyways I browsed to the OTA file in internal phone storage, executed it and it stops and fails on the following message: "cimext9.odex has unexpected contents". I am stumped because Google couldn't help. But, something similar happened to another person and they had installed Adaway which must have changed system files. I did have AdblockPlus installed for a while but uninstalled it - so could ABP be the culprit, and now what are my options that would enable this OTA to get installed on my phone?

Thanks in advance. Still learning, appreciate the help this board has provided me so far.

oaklandm

Jul 18, 2007
I had the same issue with this update, even though previous ones had installed fine. I didn't have adaway installed and never found out what was causing my issue, in the end I flashed a clean .3 and done the update, which installed fine. Then I used Helium to install all my app data and rooted it after that. Had to setup all my root apps again but now running .4

us3rnotfound

Jul 27, 2014
It looks like I'm going to have to flash the stock ROM again because something apparently isn't stock anymore.

Can I do this but keep the apps installed, contacts, music/files, etc? Or does it go back to factory reset?

oaklandm

Jul 18, 2007
When I done it i had to install all my apps and stuff again but there might be a way of saving all your stuff, someone else might be able to help you with that, I haven't had an android device that long

us3rnotfound

Jul 27, 2014
I had the same issue with this update, even though previous ones had installed fine. I didn't have adaway installed and never found out what was causing my issue, in the end I flashed a clean .3 and done the update, which installed fine. Then I used Helium to install all my app data and rooted it after that. Had to setup all my root apps again but now running .4

Thanks. This will show my ignorance, but by flash the .3, do you mean get the .3 OTA and flash that in the stock recovery, or do you mean grab a .3 nandroid backup?

us3rnotfound

Jul 27, 2014

When I done it i had to install all my apps and stuff again but there might be a way of saving all your stuff, someone else might be able to help you with that, I haven't had an android device that long

Yeah I do not have THAT much, but I've done this a few times and have things just the way I like them. Oh well.

oaklandm

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks. This will show my ignorance, but by flash the .3, do you mean get the .3 OTA and flash that in the stock recovery, or do you mean grab a .3 nandroid backup?

I meant grab the nandroid backup, don't know if just a factory restore from the menu would do the job. I just thought that if I'm starting from scratch then I might as well flash .3 : )