[DATA2whatever] Flashable All-in-one-data2sd-Solution v0.2e + v0.4 test (dec 27th)

Search This thread

SkyWalker1726

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks a lot , saved me from flashing something that i didn't need , thought that i t would make my phone go way faster due to the Quadrant score
thanks again

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
@melethron great work man, but I will remain to my opinion that data2sd(ext) is bad for so many reasons. But it is good to have choices.

But nevertheless your work is apreciated

Im also not happy the way it is now. If this could be done then a filesystem without journal would be safe enough to use. Also coutts99 is trying to implement btrfs support in his kernel wich may also better (i never tested it) and someone had the idea of using compressed file system so there still might be many improvements.

Btw: if you look at my script and compare it to the original app2sd script you'll see the there is no need to appreciate my work. I only quoted 7 lines, added 3 times the word "data" and removed it one time and thats it. I actually wonder why no one else thought about that :D .

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
This work without bugs??

There are some lags if you have a slow sd card. But this is the case in every data2ext script. Also you should use ext3 or 4. But considering the force close issues that some ppl have on RCMixHD. This wont happen here. It is as safe as it can be considering file system corruption.

edit: reading the first most might help you to decide if you should use it ... by the way ....

Last edited:

dazzlet

Aug 31, 2009
barnsley
can i flash this to the rxmix hd 0.14b rom that has data2sd in the rom natively?
if so do i just flash this on top of my existing install with any wipes?

Alex-V

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2008
actual i test your ext2 script of data 2ext...think its very good...stable and overall speed is very good (mean zero hang of system)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9642504&postcount=6768

Thanks for this...will at it 2 my hd rom ;) :)

for the test i have rename and copy over the old and reboot

with kind regards...Alex

Last edited:

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
can i flash this to the rxmix hd 0.14b rom that has data2sd in the rom natively?
if so do i just flash this on top of my existing install with any wipes?

Quoting myself from (OP):
-RCMixHD 0.14b ("OLD FASION" only!)

To make install more clear i added these now:

"ONLY WORKS ON A FRESH INSTALL WITH FULL WIPE"

There is also a patch by me linkend in RCMixHD under "extra" wich will decrease the chance of file corruption. RCMixHD uses an older script.

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
actual i test your ext2 script of data 2ext...think its very good...stable and overall speed is very good (mean zero hang of system)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9642504&postcount=6768

Thanks for this...will at it 2 my hd rom ;) :)

for the test i have rename and copy over the old and reboot

with kind regards...Alex

I don't recommend to use this. Ext 2 is faster but Android has a Problem: It doesnt unmount the ext partition. This makes file corruption more likely. It is better to use this script. I made several tests with ext 2 and it was as fast as without data2ext but after 20 reboots in a row i got force closes. People that want speed (and want to risk it) can use ext 2 then. This script is if used with ext 2 is as the data2ext2 script. But people that want safety should use ext3 / 4.

Until this is solved people should use ext 3 or 4.

Also cyanogen recommends ext 3 or 4.

PS: Wenn fragen hast kannst mir auch eine PM schicken. ;) Wenn du unbedingt ext 2 verwenden willst kann ich dir ein neues schreiben dass auf dieser version basiert (sind nur 2 zeilen mehr).

Last edited:

Alex-V

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2008
I don't recommend to use this. Ext 2 is faster but Android has a Problem: It doesnt unmount the ext partition. This makes file corruption more likely. It is better to use this script. I made several tests with ext 2 and it was as fast as without data2ext but after 20 reboots in a row i got force closes. People that want speed (and want to risk it) can use ext 2 then. This script is if used with ext 2 is as the data2ext2 script. But people that want safety should use ext3 / 4.

Until this is solved people should use ext 3 or 4.

Also cyanogen recommends ext 3 or 4.

PS: Wenn fragen hast kannst mir auch eine PM schicken. ;) Wenn du unbedingt ext 2 verwenden willst kann ich dir ein neues schreiben dass auf dieser version basiert (sind nur 2 zeilen mehr).

Ok...thanks for answer...i understand...more over pm.... :)

with kind regards...Alex

Last edited:

peterfeter

Aug 20, 2010
Hi, having small issue here, trying to install this on the baadnwz rc2 hd rom, following all the steps, when i finally restart and everything boots up as it should, it freezes on the white htc screen before it asks you to select your network provider and force closes.

Anyone have a solution?

Same here... can help me?

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
Hi, having small issue here, trying to install this on the baadnwz rc2 hd rom, following all the steps, when i finally restart and everything boots up as it should, it freezes on the white htc screen before it asks you to select your network provider and force closes.

Anyone have a solution?

Sorry, i missed this post. Just saw it after it was quoted ...
I'm still on 0.4c and I didn't check RC2. I look into this later.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
hi melethron,a fast question:
Is you script updated at v3 version of ownhere work or is your personal work?
thx

It's a simple modification of cyanogens app2sd script. Ownhere's v3 is a really nice solution for speed and safety, for now. I think I remove my zip and only provide the script for devs as a quick approach while better scripts are made and play around with his script.

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
same issuse with RC1 :-(

Try to flash the Rom without my script and see if it works. If it does
then provide me with more info pls.

Are you sure you have a second partition on your sd-card? If yes what size?

Did you change the partition of nand?

Can you make an adb logcat of the boot.

Adb shell df would also help.

peterfeter

Aug 20, 2010
Try to flash the Rom without my script and see if it works. If it does
then provide me with more info pls.

Are you sure you have a second partition on your sd-card? If yes what size?

Did you change the partition of nand?

Can you make an adb logcat of the boot.

Adb shell df would also help.

Yes im sure 2nd part. Without Script works this rom good.

currently @work no adb here ;/

melethron

Sep 13, 2010
Yes im sure 2nd part. Without Script works this rom good.

currently @work no adb here ;/

I'll make a completly new script. There is quite some good news.

1. If ext mounted directly to /data it gets unmounted nice. So there is no need for a third journaled partition as ownhere's currently approuch. Sibere sorted this out.

2. The lags that happened on both version from sibere and ownhere are caused by the way there is data written to an loopdevice. This one is sorted out by ownhere.

==> Putting these together means that an ext 4 partion without journal directly mounted to data will be the best solution considering speed. Also since it is unmounted right removing the journal is quite safe.

Data2ext without lag is coming soon.

So wait for a new script.

EDIT: I really wondern why this is the case for you so i flashed the ROM and it's working for me. The script is doing what it is intended to do. Without some "logcat" and "df" i can't help you atm.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    data2whatever v0.2

UPDATE: For the new test version of v0.3 and v0.4 look at the end of the post.

Features:

- Supports: Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 (and if kernel supports it: ) btrfs, ReiserFS
    - Supports loop device as optional addon (as siberes data2sd)
    - Flashable zip for many app2sd ROMs (no long setup required)
    - It does a e2fsck (disk check) on every boot and creates a logfile on the sdcard (/sdcard/e2fscklog.txt)
    - looks nice if you do a logcat on boot ;)
    - no "settings lost on reboot" bug like in my old or siberes script
    - changes the scheduler for the sd-card and internal to noop for better performance on sd.
    - Nandroid Backup of EXT2/3/4 external with AmonRa 2.0.0.1 or any clockwork recovery.
    - Removes the common app2sd scripts on its own

Requirements

- A second partition (same as app2sd - Min 512 mb - 1024mb is highly recommended - max 2048 MB or there will be issues with market) in any format (as long as the kernel supports - ext2/3/4 support is default in most kernels - Ext4 or ReiserFS is recommended).
    - An app2sd or non app2sd ROM (data2sd versions wont work) (this SHOULD work with most or at least many ROMs . Roms that are confirmed to work can be found in the post below. Please report to me it it works or not so i can update this thread. If it doesn't work i try to make it compatible asap. )

Installation

1.) Full wipe (at least needed on first installation)
    2.) Flash the app2sd Version of the ROM of your choice
    3.) DONT REBOOT
    4.) If you rebooted then start over at 1.)
    5.) flash the attached "data2whatever.zip"
    6.) now reboot ;)

ADDITIONAL INFO: Even without "life on the edge" you should watch the first 4 "don't"s of "life on the edge". The normal script use the same disk safety methods as NTFS on Windows or EXT4 on linux. But as you know you shouldnt just switch off the computer because there can still be issues in very rare cases. Reboots with tools like "snqs power menu" is the same as a batterypull (or pulling the ac plug on PC) and this isn't good in general (and this also applies for using it with app2sd). If you want to go to recovery just make a normal shutdown and switch the phone on with "volume down" button pressed.

Optional life-on-the-edge add on

EDIT:
    Life on the edge causes reboots. Don't use it for now.

This patch has the same effect as sibere's and ownhere's script (loop device - the way ownhere does in v4 doesnt work though). Other than those scripts it this addon doesnt need any repartitioning or other setup (like FAT or a third partition) and can simply be installed or removed with a flashable zip. All you need for this is a normal ext 2/3/4 partition (as above ^^). Ext4 is recommended for this (as above) since it is the fastest of those 3. This patch is more risky than normal ext3/4 considering the possibility of data loss. If you want to use this add-on you should watch the following (this also applys to ownheres and sibere script and is NOT more risky than their scripts):

- DON'T use the reboot of snq's powermenu (or any other reboot app)
    - DON'T use anything in the "ROM Manager" that makes it reboot.
    - DON'T do adb reboot / abd reboot recovery / adb reboot bootloader
    - DON'T pull the battery while the phone is on (this should be obvious)
    - DON'T remove the "sync" mount options for the Quadrant "boost" (this is a fake boost anyway)

All of this is like a powerloss for the sd-card and has a high change of data corruption.

From my test with this i give you an estimate what can happen if a powerloss occurs or any of the 5 points above happen:

- 50% general chance of corruption that will be autofixed on boot (not a problem)
    - 10% chance of forcecloses after reboot of some apps (this can be fixed by deleting the app data or restoring it with titanium (or other) backup)
    - REALLY tiny chance (didnt happen for me in over 40 "simulated" powerlosses) that partition gets corrupted (needs complete repartitioning of the microSD so all data on it will be gone then)

As long as you watch the 5 points above and as long as you don't drop the phone and the battery jumps out this will be safe.

Installation of the addon:

- Flash the "life-on-the-edge.zip" any time after you installed "data2whatever".

Installation of the addon:

- Flash the "life-on-the-edge-UNPATCH.zip" any time after you installed "data2whatever" and the addon. (this will revert back to the normal script)

Personal remark: While this is a improvement over normal ext4 it is not the "holy-grale" of a data2sd lag fix. I'm not using this myself and use a ReiserFS as second partition instead which is more safe and completly feels the same as a "loop" device considering performance.

Further Plans
    - Changes for the mount options of the internal YAFFS2 Partition to optimize the speed of the "dalvik-cache" (have to look into YAFFS2 what can be done)
    - Make Roms that doesn't work yet compatible to this

- cyanogen who made app2sd+ in the first place.
    - sibere and ownhere who started all the data2sd.
    - supercurio and Unhelpful of SGS' Voodoolagfix (#Project-Voodoo on freenode) for their helpfull script tipps.
    - Coutts99 and Neophyte for their Kernels.
    - woti23 for all those test's in this thread.
    - All devs of XDA in generall for all this nice stuff that is done here

UPDATE: Test version of v0.3 and v0.4:

BOTH NEED A FULL WIPE BEFORE INSTALLED FOR THE FIRST TIME.
    Please make a logcat of the first boot. This can help me to find possible issues.

This version now checks if your second partition is aligned and if not it will ERASE it and recreate it aligned. You will find more info about alignment later here (in the meantime you can google "ssd alignment" to get some info).

WARNING:
    THIS WILL ERASE THE SD-EXT PARTITION IF IT IS NOT ALIGNED. On top of that there is a little risk that it messes up the partition table. Although i made a lot of test with this and added busybox to assure compatibility there could still issues with it. If something should go wrong in recreating the partition you may have to REPARTITION the COMPLETE Sd-card. So make a BACKUP OF ALL YOUR DATA ON THE SD before you test this .

Additional info: Don't let yourself get confused by the many deleting messages on install. The update script tries to erase:
    - busybox (newest version gets installed afterwards)
    - 4 different versions of app2sd scripts
    - dalvikcache2cache script
    - the 3 binaries included (e2fsck, tune2fs, mkfs.ext4)
    - 3 possible symlinks for the binaries
    - mtab file

Everything that is erased gets either installed afterwards (busybox, etc ...) or isn't needed (app2sd scripts).

Please post the alignment log if you testet this. This log can be found on the sdcard ( /sdcard/sd-ext-alignment-log.txt).

==================================================================================
    changelog

0.4d test release

- If the partitions gets aligned it will be formated with ext3 now instead of ext4 so it works with ROMs without ext4 kernel support.

0.4c test release

-fixed a rare issue that could happen on alignment if a partition has set the bootflag.

v0.4b test release

- fixed and Oxygen 2.0 RC4 related issue:
    - renamed the "99complete" to "991complete" to prevent similiar issues on other AOSP ROMs that use individual properties.

v0.4 test release

- dalvik cache is now left internal. This should spread i/o and thus speed things up a bit.
    - change scheduler to "deadline" if the kernel supports it
    - changed logging: One file (data2whateverlog.txt on sdcard) for alignement and fsck with more info (thx moebius83)
    - In case there is a swap partition (mmcblck0p3) this will also get aligned.

v0.3 test release
    - this version will now recreate your sd-ext partition if it is not aligned (format: ext4)
    - fixed the mtab error that could cause issues in some cases
    - added busybox v1.17.2 to assure compatibility.
    - added support for swap partition (if kernel supports it and partition 3 exists)
    - removing more stuff on install (to make sure there are no old symlinks)

0.2e
    -fixed an issue caused by the s-off fix.

0.2d
    -fixed the cm6 fix

v0.2c
    -fixed a bug that made this only work with S-OFF. (i totally forgot that system can't be mounted rw as default :eek: )

v0.2b
    - fixed a typo of the last fix . This could have caused issues on leedroid. (thanks woti)
    - added the patch for CM6 (thanks iinga)

v0.2
    - fixed a syntax error making the script not working at all
    - fixed a bug that would have occured on leedroid if it would have worked ^^

------------------------------------------
    data2whatever v0.1 (dec 23.)

-completly rewrote of the data2ext script
    Confirmed to work with:

- LeeDroid 2.3b A2SD (life-on-the-edge may not work)
    - MIUI 0.12.18 R3
    - Gingerbread Oxygen RC2
    - Ginger Villain ROM
    - CM6
    - MidianUI r2e
    - Desire stock (with init.d support enabled through ramdisk - more info)

Don't work yet:
    (about HD roms in general. They will be the ones with most issues because they use external space for system stuff because of the size of the HD Rom - ill still try to make my script work with them)

- robocik's Z v06
    - ReflexTSenseHD 1.5
    I have the same issue.. flashed leedroid 2.3d, full wipe, gparted 16gb class 4 into 14gb fat32 1gb ext4(by the way how do I disable journaling?) using life on edge, phone randomly reboots.. e2fscklog shows rebuild too.. any ideas?

The issue is life-on-the-edge (i just updated the op). Loopmount can cause reboots. Ill update the script soon and recommend to use it without life on the edge. e2fsck shows error because those reboots doesnt proberly unmount. Journal will be enabled if LOTE is not installed and disabled if it is. So no way to use unjournaled ext4 without LOTE as long as you dont change the script.

Ownhere has a much better alternative to "loopmount":
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=903507

If this is more tested i add this as life-on-the-edge. I will upgrade this script in future but atm i focus on my ROM so this may take some time. As for the ROM the script will get a config file on the sd-card so that stuff like journal can be set. But update will take time.
    @melethron and @sibere,
    I wrote a post on how to enable init.d on stock desire rom, maybe you can link it to the OP so people willing to try these scripts on stock rom will know how to do it, this is the post
    Damn. I know where the issues lies: i made some last minute changes and didnt test them and there was a ` missing. This tiny backquote made the whole script not working:

Code:
    /system/etc/init.d/01data2whatever: 248: Syntax error: EOF in backquote substitution

Fixed it and updated the OP. I can confirm that it works now (for leedroid at least - may still be issues on other ROMs so i still need feedback).