LG GW620 Development/Kernel hacking (Have LG source mods + trying to get 2.0 working)

Search This thread

hazardleader

Dec 30, 2007
GW620

Hello, its there a European ROM Aviable with the new 1.6 with a implemented QWERTZ Keyboard support and with working APN Settings?

Thanks Hazardleader

giorgio130

Apr 25, 2010
@purdeaandrei have you tried to flash back a 1.5 rom? It should still be possible given the way you upgraded right? I'd also be interested if you could document a bit more what you did to flash a firmware without using windows :)

raburton

Feb 16, 2008
Hello raburton, I have been looking at the files in the Rogers rom and there is a reference (TEXT) to fastboot in the file: appsboot.mbn
I don't know if this can help you, or I'm totally wrong about what you did mean.
Hmm, thanks, not sure how I missed that (though I looked on an older rom, hadn't checked these newer ones, so maybe it was without fastboot). Rogers seems to have reference to fastboot in that file too, but the files is different to the korean one that does have fastboot.

raburton

Feb 16, 2008
Then the b2c client starts (the wizard) with "Emergency Mode", and the wizard asks for a URL (a korean text and : please enter text input).
You provide an URL and the software get the firmware at the link given.

I tried to use this Emergency mode and providing a KDZ Europe Open, provided from CSMA server.
The software gets the firmware, but didn't performed anything then.

Have you tried putting the phone in Emergency Mode and using kp500 tool to flash? I know when you use this method normally there is a message about which mode it detects the phone is currently in, with 3 options including emergency mode (and during the flash procedure it seems to put the phone into emergency mode).

If you haven;t tried this give it a go. Follow the instructions here: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=LG Eve section "Flashing new firmware", but with the phone in emergency mode.

purdeaandrei

Apr 23, 2010
i've updated the original post (url removed by andrei, i can't post links) with a new version that does preserve uid, gid (need to run as root) and timestamps
Thanks! I just tested it and it works fine!.
I'm also attaching the mbntool equivalent here.

@purdeaandrei have you tried to flash back a 1.5 rom? It should still be possible given the way you upgraded right? I'd also be interested if you could document a bit more what you did to flash a firmware without using windows :)

I did use windows to extract the .kdz file into .mbn files. I only used a remote rdesktop machine. _Locally_ i didn't have to use windows to flash the phone.

So in windows:
1) I downloaded LG-Utils-0.4.2.zip (somewhere google found it for me, can't remeber exactly where)
2) I ran KP500-Utils-EN, Extract files from kdz file, extracted the resulting .cab file, that yielded a .DZ file.
3) I downloaded DZExtract.exe, and i run it with "DZExtract.exe -x filename.dz". It produced a bunch of .mbn files that i transfered back to my linux box.

Maybe all this might be doable with Wine, if some needed dlls are copied. I was too lazy to try it.

Now in linux:
1) i attached a modified version of the original raburton's unyaffsmbn, this doesn't care about the yaffs filesystem, it just passes over the LG-added junk, and it is perfect for zImage_Ramdisk.mbn
2) gcc unmbn.c -o unmbn; ./unmbn zImage_Ramdisk.mbn (this produces zImage_Ramdisk.mbn.new)
3) get the phone into fastboot mode; fastboot flash boot zImage_Ramdisk.mbn.new
4) get unyaffsmbn (the recently updated one), compile. cp System.mbn_0 sys.mbn; cat System.mbn_1 >> sys.mbn; cat System.mbn_2 >> sys.mbn
5) mkdir tempfolder; cd tempfolder, and as root run: ../unyaffsmbn ../sys.mbn
6) cd ..; ./mkyaffs2image-i686 tempfolder system.img
(mkyaffs2image can be found in nandroid)
7) fastboot flash system system.img
8) you might need to run fastboot -w

I haven't written back 1.5 yet, but there's no reason it shouldn't work. The device still goes into fastboot, when booted with the space button pressed.
EDIT: i just reflashed my 1.5 backup, and it works as expected.

i noticed that there are loads of CPU ABI Incompatible errors when trying to install some applications.

pdanet doesn't work.

I've got the same errors with the 1.6 rogers rom. (for example with connectbot). Does the korean 1.6 suffer from this? Are there any other 1.6 roms currently out there?

Another thing i noticed is that Wifi seems less stable. Sometimes i lists certain access points as not in range when i am standing a few meters away. I can't tell for sure, because my router is already buggy, but it feels less stable. Can anybody confirm this? btw. i used WPA2, and a super long passphrase.

EDIT: also, anyone has any idea how to turn off the vibration every time i touch one of the capacitive buttons or the screen?

Attachments

• unmbn.zip
    4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Reactions: sol-invictus

kropbj

Apr 18, 2010
Yup, have the exact same problems with the wifi. I also noticed that when I do connect that the speed is never faster than 1Mbps. Even standing right next to the router.

I tried this with two different routers.
WRT310N w/ DD-WRT
Ubiquiti Nanostation 2

Using both WEP and WPA2 AES

If the phone goes to sleep and I unlock it I have to turn WIFI off and then back on in order to establish my connection. Otherwise I run into exactly what you said about the AP not being in range.

panicb

Mar 5, 2010
Hey guys, long time lurker here.

I tried both Korean (V10M_00) and Rogers (V10G_00), but they're far from perfect. As mentioned above, 3G doesn't work at all - EVDO only. Also, the Rogers one keeps crashing my phone every couple hours.

The LG updater tool (the officially supported one by LG and Rogers) does not allow downgrades. If you guys ever need to downgrade back to V10F, like I did, use the following image:

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/GW620R/ARGSBK/V10f_00/V10F_00.kdz

and follow instructions using the LG tool to flash the firmware.

Thanks for all the hard work, everyone. I'm still looking forward to official 1.6, and hopefully a hacked up 2.0/1 =)

cwhchew

Mar 17, 2010

I tried both Korean (V10M_00) and Rogers (V10G_00), but they're far from perfect. As mentioned above, 3G doesn't work at all - EVDO only. Also, the Rogers one keeps crashing my phone every couple hours.

The LG updater tool (the officially supported one by LG and Rogers) does not allow downgrades. If you guys ever need to downgrade back to V10F, like I did, use the following image:

Thanks for all the hard work, everyone. I'm still looking forward to official 1.6, and hopefully a hacked up 2.0/1 =)

has anybody tried using GSM/WCDMA mode ? I'm using this in Singapore and 3G works fine with the correct APN settings

panicb

Mar 5, 2010
3G doesn't work with Rogers even with correct APN settings - only EVDO works, unfortunately. I tried fiddling with the GSM/CDMA settings but nothing much. I'm back on 1.5 with V10F as this is the only phone I have =)

pandolphe

Jan 1, 2010
Oppo Find N
Have you tried putting the phone in Emergency Mode and using kp500 tool to flash? I know when you use this method normally there is a message about which mode it detects the phone is currently in, with 3 options including emergency mode (and during the flash procedure it seems to put the phone into emergency mode).

If you haven;t tried this give it a go. Follow the instructions here: section "Flashing new firmware", but with the phone in emergency mode.

Hello,

Unfortunately, it does'nt works while the mobile is in Emergency Mode.
B2C Client doesn't detects the phone (it says nothing connected).

Tried again to flash with Lastest European firmware, no success.
The flash is successfull, I belive the system android is okay, but I belive something in the User partitions hangs the system boot up.

I would like to erase the system parition (like I could do in... fastboot) in order to let my phone working back. Is there a way to ?
In KP500 Tool, there is an option "Send USER partition to the phone", someone tried it ?

Thank you.

Cheers / Ben

killdashnine

Apr 29, 2010
Hi ! Thank you for all your work !
I follow this topic kinda everyday since I had the GW620.
I tried the Roger version on my European (FR-Bouygues 10F) and I have a huge problem with the GSM. My phone is crashing after typing the sim code, sometimes taking some seconds. Appears when the phone is registering to the network (GSM/PCS 1800Mhz + EDGE network). The IMEI is not corrupted ... so I don't know where's the problem. I tried with an unusable sim card (invalid network), and I had some problem like Wifi wasn't looking all range, crashing in sleep mode and taking a very long time to stop.

I was able to go back to the 1.5 without problems (LG Tool like panicb). I think it's better to wait for EU versions, don't know if there is some different stuff between releases of the cell.
Don't know if it can help some...

giorgio130

Apr 25, 2010
@purdeaandrei
thanks, that's even more than what I was hoping for :)

@d4m4s74
that's exactly what purdeaandrei did... I think you just have to follow the first steps under wine... I'll try too :)

fugdup

Dec 3, 2009

I also have tried the V10M ROM. I am trying to flash back to the V10F orig Rogers ROM and I am having issues with KP500 utilities. It get as far as starting the flashing process and then errors out and has to stop. I am doing the same thing that I did to get V10M on the phone but not getting the same results. I ahve tried on XP and Vista. I will try the image stated above and let you all know. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Last edited:

cwhchew

Mar 17, 2010
I also have tried the V10M ROM. I am trying to flash back to the V10F orig Rogers ROM and I am having issues with KP500 utilities. It get as far as starting the flashing process and then errors out and has to stop. I am doing the same thing that I did to get V10M on the phone but not getting the same results. I ahve tried on XP and Vista. I will try the image stated above and let you all know. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

for those of you having this problem, please take the steps that i took. if you look closely, the updater is unable to get the correct model number and gives it an number (127 or something similar) and crashes at Model.dll or something. I never thought the same problem could occur to someone else.

1. Get into the hidden menu
2. Select Factory Reset
3. Your phone will reboot and you will be presented with the configuration screen
4. Re-run the KP500 utility in administrator mode.

It should work.

Reactions: sol-invictus

fugdup

Dec 3, 2009

for those of you having this problem, please take the steps that i took. if you look closely, the updater is unable to get the correct model number and gives it an number (127 or something similar) and crashes at Model.dll or something. I never thought the same problem could occur to someone else.

2. Select Factory Reset
3. Your phone will reboot and you will be presented with the configuration screen

It should work.

Thanks, I will try this afternoon

Zacpod

Nov 17, 2009
Toronto, ON
2. Select Factory Reset

It should work.

After doing a factory reset I now have 3G back on the Rogers image. I still can't get in to fastboot, and can't get an older image flashed on to the phone.
Very frustrating, but at least everything else works properly now. :)

There must be a way to get in to fastboot... Maybe it's a key combination...

Adam620

Dec 8, 2009
Wow that's nice, but please, Zac, tell me you didn't try all possible combinations for the last few hours, right? ;)

Adam

cwhchew

Mar 17, 2010
After doing a factory reset I now have 3G back on the Rogers image. I still can't get in to fastboot, and can't get an older image flashed on to the phone.
Very frustrating, but at least everything else works properly now. :)

There must be a way to get in to fastboot... Maybe it's a key combination...

glad to see that it worked. the korean rom has fastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And since we're giving away secrets, here is a handy tool to extract those system.mbn files LG ships. This allows you to extract and browse the filesystem easily without having to flash your phone. It's based on unyaffs because that's basically what the filesystem is, but the LG ones don't use OOB data for the fs, but do have some extra data in them (probably checksums) which needs to be skipped.

Edit: updated unyaffsmbn to preserve uid & guid (if run as root) and timestamps

I also have V10T - not sure if it's stable or not tho... It's been a looong time since I looked at a 620. http://www.zacpod.com/files/V10T.zip

Have you checked out OpenEtna? They had some Cyanogen ports that were actually pretty decent.
    introduce Open eve

Hi,

Let me introduce openeve firmware.

http://code.google.com/p/openeve/

This firmware from the South Korea.

Openeve has the two version firmware.

Froyo & Ginger bread

Froyo verion is Stable version.
    Ginger bread is Test version.

based on LG official kernel 2.6.32

So, Fast and Stable.

But, careful. Openeve made for Korean user.

Do take care of your regional settings.
    Decompressing the KDZ

Okay, it took me a while to find the right version of the LG-Utils program to decompress the KDZ file. From those of you following along at home, you want at least version 0.4.2 (the most common version is 0.4.0, which is great if you want to flash your phone with the firmware it appears).

Okay, for those looking at this thread for the first time, here are a quick set of instructions to get you caught up to ZacPod (as of the 19th anyway).

(1) Download the firmware: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/GW620R/ARGSBK/V10c_00/V10C_00.kdz
    (2) Download LG-Utils 0.4.2: http://www.assembla.com/spaces/ks36...eJe5afGb/download?filename=LG-Utils-0.4.2.zip
    (3) Run KP500-Utils-EN.exe (or whatever language you prefer out of the available choices) and select I to extract the KDZ.
    (4) Open the resulting CAB file and extract the DZ file.
    (5) Download DZExtract: http://www.frenchcoder.com/upload/DZExtract-V0.2.zip
    (5) Use DZExtract to extract the MBN files:
    Code:
    DZExtract -x GW620RAT-V10c-OCT-21-2009-RGS-CA_DZ+0.dz C:\extractedTo\

Voila, lots of MBN files: amss.mbn (8717kb), partition.mbn (0kb), qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn (0kb), qcsbl.mbn (32kb), oemsblhd.mbn (0kb), oemsbl.mbn (150kb), amsshd.mbn (0kb), appsboothd.mbn (0kb), appsboot.mbn (215kb), zImage_Ramdisk.mbn (2030kb), System.mbn_0 (95089kb), System.mbn_1 (12158kb)

Now, the zImage_Ramdisk likely contains the kernel. The question is if there is anything else in there. In a hex editor, it starts with the string "ANDROID!" and later on has "mem=88M console=ttyMSM0 androidboot.console=ttyMSM0". Running strings on the mbn files might yield interesting tidbits.

System appears to be too big and was broken into two pieces ... I suspect it needs to be put together again before it will be of any use.

amss.mbn is intriguing ... it starts with the string ELF, which is common of linux executables. Not sure what the smss.mbn is. There are also page after page of "empty" sections (all null's). Are there multiple files in here? I don't think this is a filesystem ...

partition.mbn is kind of interesting too. It contains the strings MIBIB, WALLPAPER, OEMSBL2, DLOAD, AMSS, APPSBL, FOTAUSD, FOTAPKG, ZIMAGE, SYSTEM, DRM, CACHE, and USERDATA. I'm assuming it defines the partition tables.

The question really is, what are these mbn files? They don't look like filesystems, but I'm not really familiar with YAFFS2.

This thread here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=399249
    Talks a lot about the DZ file format and there is some discussion about MBN files.

However, it doesn't appear they are in any special format so I tracked down the YAFFS specs (http://www.yaffs.net/yaffs-spec). I'm hoping they might shed some light on what these files really are. Some notes on YAFFS2 are here: http://www.yaffs.net/yaffs-2-specification-and-development-notes, but they are rather out of date.
    Since this thread got revived I may add my 2 cents to the discussion!

First of all, it seems that the homepage of http://openetna.com/ went down (also the forum and wiki) - i will try to contact cwhchew to find out what happend...

Secondly, there has been some development for the LG GW620, so this i want to sum up here:

OpenEtna - the last version based on Android 2.2.1 available on http://code.google.com/p/openetna/ is Openetna V6.3-rc7

But there has been also some development on Android 2.3.7, there was a project started called openEve.

OpenEve - There is a port of CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0 on the page http://code.google.com/p/openeve/ - also there is a alpha port of Android 4.0.3 available there (CM9 ICS 4.0.3) dated on 2012-01-13

And finaly there is a project called openEve-continues which is based on the released CyanogenMod 7.2.0 available here: http://code.google.com/p/open-eve-continues/ - it is dated on 2012-07-27

I hope this helps someone to find the right custom firmware for the good old GW620!

I also started a entry for the LG GW620 on the XDA wiki: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/LG_GW620