Sony Ericsson MBW-150 OLED repairs

Search This thread

Cyberdyne

May 29, 2006
Yeah, for as long as this thread has been going on, no one has had any luck finding replacement displays. :mad::crying:

Has noone read this thread? As I said befor: "What about the RGS08096016B001 display from the EKS-LM3S811 Evaluation Board? It seems to work (posting 212, 213 and 215). About 40 Euro isn't cheap but I really like my MBW an for me it is worth it."

Take a look here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36610768&postcount=212
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36610933&postcount=213
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36688881&postcount=215

And no, there is no smartwatch out there which looks as good as the MBW-150. ;)

EDIT: Just send OSRAM an email to ask where to get their OLED displays.

Last edited:

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
Has noone read this thread? As I said befor: "What about the RGS08096016B001 display from the EKS-LM3S811 Evaluation Board? It seems to work (posting 212, 213 and 215). About 40 Euro isn't cheap but I really like my MBW an for me it is worth it."

Take a look here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36610768&postcount=212
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36610933&postcount=213
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36688881&postcount=215

And no, there is no smartwatch out there which looks as good as the MBW-150. ;)

EDIT: Just send OSRAM an email to ask where to get their OLED displays.

I did email them about a year ago and they said it was no longer available. I have had an eBay search for the EKS-LM3S811 board for the same time with no hits yet. I still have my three MBW-150 watches but have bought a Gear 2 in the meantime.

Cyberdyne

May 29, 2006

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
New OLED finally Installed

Hi All,

I have managed to install a replacement OLED in my MBW 150 Music Edition. ;) :victory:

Attachments

• DSC_2045.jpg
    DSC_2045.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 331

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
We need details!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk

I knew this was bound to happen as soon as I drop this info over here heads will turn.. Don't get too excited my fellowmates, the oled panel I've installed in the watch is not a direct purchase..

Just like one Russian mate has already performed this mod. Even this oled panel is from a Texas instruments evaluation board, named evalbot. The Ssd1300t driver oled is used in that board. I had to extract it out from that board and then install it onto the watch. Definitely not an easy job I must say. Windowed fpcs are extremely hard to desolder.. The evalbot board is costly but I was desperate to get my watch to a usable state I wanted a discrete smartwatch and there's nothing other than the mbw. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them if I can.. Cheers.

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
Wonder if you documented the replacement process. I might give it a go, I have two watches, a sport and an exec and both have long ago faded out completely. To be honest, I'm waiting for Moto360 as it seems like the only thing worth using out of all those gimmicky wearables out there. Talking from a style point of view of course - I'm sure everyone with a MBW-150 would agree.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
Wonder if you documented the replacement process. I might give it a go, I have two watches, a sport and an exec and both have long ago faded out completely. To be honest, I'm waiting for Moto360 as it seems like the only thing worth using out of all those gimmicky wearables out there. Talking from a style point of view of course - I'm sure everyone with a MBW-150 would agree.

No I haven't documented anything in the process.
By Sport edition you mean the music edition right?
Moto360 is alright but still its just like any other non MBW smart watch, has only a display, you can get watch faces and all but still in the end it just does not look so perfect to wear as a watch. It does not have the depth like an MBW does or any other normal watch does for that matter. Still it might be a good watch in the end for everyone else. I'm really waiting to see what SONY's implementation of the Android wear turns out to be.

I'm sure they wont do an MBW revival but who knows. People would love it if they did.

Actually there are more similar looking watches to the MBW range for example, the COGITO classic and the Martian watch. They dont look as good as the MBW does in my opinion though.

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
Yes sorry - I meant the music edition. I agree with you, though I doubt Sony will come up with anything remotely as good looking as the MBW-150 (exec). I lost faith in them after those "smartwatch" attempts they came up with in the past couple of years.

Soukyho

Jul 9, 2014
new OLED display

Hi people

I just bought MWB-150 one week ago. There was leather strap broken and they were completely discharged ... and cost me less then 20EUR. After charging i found that OLED is dead. I can see all in dark ... not shadow but dark. So I check web and found this discussion that help me a lot.
Why I am waisting your time ? Because maybe I found source of those LCDs.
I just send email and get answer ... new LCD have to cost 10 EUR. Shipping time is something like 6 weeks :( so I will let You know as I will get it and as I will see if it works or not.

For eagers you can try this web page:

maritex.com.pl

maybe if You are interested into this LCD, ask them ... maybe they will be faster with order ... because now I get email where they say I will be able to order it as they will have on stock it ....

Reactions: CyberDemonVZ

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
Hi people

I just bought MWB-150 one week ago. There was leather strap broken and they were completely discharged ... and cost me less then 20EUR. After charging i found that OLED is dead. I can see all in dark ... not shadow but dark. So I check web and found this discussion that help me a lot.
Why I am waisting your time ? Because maybe I found source of those LCDs.
I just send email and get answer ... new LCD have to cost 10 EUR. Shipping time is something like 6 weeks :( so I will let You know as I will get it and as I will see if it works or not.

For eagers you can try this web page:

maritex.com.pl

maybe if You are interested into this LCD, ask them ... maybe they will be faster with order ... because now I get email where they say I will be able to order it as they will have on stock it ....

This is great news! Please post a direct link to the LCD or at least the part number you ordered.

Cyberdyne

May 29, 2006
Reactions: JimSmith94

abhishek.hitman

Jan 14, 2011
Wolverhampton
That was this one from OSRAM:
http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2006/12/18/semi_a/isys/osram/ds/00033553_0.pdf

It was reversed and the outer size was a bit bigger. You would have to dremel the watchface. Hope that this one is the right one.

Hi All,

I was just looking at the datasheet of the display being talked about here. Unfortunately the oled driver used in this does not match the MBW watch oled driver. This one uses SSD1308TR1 but our watch uses an SSD1300T driver. The pin out is the same but the driver itself is different so, I'm not sure if this would work. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New OLED

Hi! I got to change the display!
    I used RGS08096016B001.
    Ritdisplay firm.
    DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg
    four times click bottom-right button after that one click top-right button
    Hey :)

What do you think about: Monochrome yellow 96x16 oled graphic display ??

You can see this oled on ebay. Would be work with MBW-150 ??

... i have info for you :)
    Display on ebay is OSRAM/PICTIVA...i have purchased it from the seller in white color.
    Seller say, that display must be same as my original...BUT NOT!!!
    Display is connected from another side, is larger , and show pictures like mirrored.
    Driver is SSD1303

img2709j.jpg

BTW...after hard searching on internet i have found manufacturer of original display.
    It is RiTdisplay company...so i have contacted him and here is reply....not good reply :(

Dear Sir,

After check the product --P13707 , the project was EOL before 3 years ago.
    I'm afraid that you need to find other item and change design.

regards,
    Joanne Tien
    RiTdisplay Corporation
    Seen the first link, didn't think it applied because it looks like the FPC is facing towards the camera as well as the PCB. It was my understanding that the OLED FPC had a much finer pitch than the one shown in the first video. The second video does not apply much at all due to the OLED having windowed leads vs the standard leads on the SE display.

Very happy about the step by step instructions you gave for disassembling the watch though! :D Where did you purchase the displays from?

Also, you were able to remove the old display without damaging the PCB contacts?! you must post pictures! I'm very interested! :)

I ordered the displays from http://sales.trulydisplays.com/ using the part number for the white display linked to earlier, OEL9M0023-W-E.

I took this picture with my phone and it's a little blurry, plus the forum resized it. While some of the display leads were broken in the process, I think you can see that the contacts on the watch are intact.