[Beginners Guide] Rooting the AT&T GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Hi Mr. Skunk ape, thanks for all the great info! Another dumb noob question for someone, a few pages back the scary possibility of a mismatched rom/kernel was mentioned, and noted that it should be avoided. Aren't most roms or hopefully all come with a kernel kind of right in with the rom download? Like how would one get the wrong kernel in the first place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

All Roms for the gs3 come with a kernel. However, you can flash the kernel separately. There are really only 2 types of kernels for the AT&T GS3 (Touchwiz or CM/AOSP). As long as you use a CM/AOSP kernel with a CM/AOSP Rom and a touchwiz kernel with a touchwiz Rom, you should be fine.

Never flash anything to your phone that's not specifically made for the at&t gs3.

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
This might be the wrong place right? Sorry in advance. What is aroma? What is ucdlk3? Are these two topics significant to me a noob thinking about rooting and custom rom flash?

The aroma is an overlay that runs in recovery. It gives the ability to choose custom installation options during a flash.

The advantage of that is you can install options you want. The disadvantages are that the Rom could literally double in size taking longer to download and more space on your phone. If you ask me there are better methods to give people custom options without aroma.

I would have to look up ucdlk3 as I'm not familiar with it.

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
UCDLK3 is the latest version of Android (4.1.1, build JRO03C) which is available for the AT&T version of the SGS3 (SGH-I747).

BTW, speaking of Aroma, there's also Aroma File Manager, which allows you to perform basic file operations on your phone through recovery. This is very useful if your phone is unable to boot, and your recovery doesn't have a file manager built in to it.

Reactions: Skunk Ape1

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
thanks so much for the info! As far as that ucdlk3, would I be limited to only flashing roms that reference that?

Your build will change to whatever build version the Rom is based off of. I've never had an at&t phone so I'm not familiar with there build #s. Hell, I no longer have the gs3.

GoghGirl

Jul 4, 2012
I am trying to root an AT&T GS3 GT 19300 TTT

I successfully passed the Odin step
Code:
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> RES OK !!
<ID:0/006> Remain Port ....  0 
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/006> Removed!!

I pull the battery. Unplug the cord.
I hold the volume UP, power and home button as it powers on and stop when Samsung is displayed. Recovery never opens. The top left corner displays a little red line. It freezes on the Samsung logo.
What is going wrong?

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
I am trying to root an AT&T GS3 GT 19300 TTT

I successfully passed the Odin step
Code:
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> RES OK !!
<ID:0/006> Remain Port ....  0 
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/006> Removed!!

I pull the battery. Unplug the cord.
I hold the volume UP, power and home button as it powers on and stop when Samsung is displayed. Recovery never opens. The top left corner displays a little red line. It freezes on the Samsung logo.
What is going wrong?

Can I ask you where you're located? You seem to be in the wrong forum. And therefore using the wrong root method. You have an international gs3. This is for the us version gs3 I747

GoghGirl

Jul 4, 2012
Can I ask you where you're located? You seem to be in the wrong forum. And therefore using the wrong root method. You have an international gs3. This is for the us version gs3 I747

I am in the US. I am using At&T. Not actually my phone, company phone that I have been told to root for QA testing.
What root method should I be using?

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
1st you need to make sure exactly what model phone you have. As Skunk Ape1 said, this forum is for the SGH-I747 (AT&T SGS3). If your phone is the GT-I9300, you can root using one of the methods in Q1 here.

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20
Download TWRP 2.3.1.0 here.

The TWRP recovery in the OP, (and above) is for Sprint S3! It works on the AT&T galaxy S3, but really screws you up if you flash a multi carrier ROM like Synergy!

Rooted my wife's S3 following this guide, installed TWRP, flashed Synergy and all of a sudden the phone thinks it's on Sprint. Took me hours to get the correct recovery and fix the ROM.

Seriously though, thanks for the guide.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 2

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Download TWRP 2.3.1.0 here.

The TWRP recovery in the OP, (and above) is for Sprint S3! It works on the AT&T galaxy S3, but really screws you up if you flash a multi carrier ROM like Synergy!

Rooted my wife's S3 following this guide, installed TWRP, flashed Synergy and all of a sudden the phone thinks it's on Sprint. Took me hours to get the correct recovery and fix the ROM.

Seriously though, thanks for the guide.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 2

The recovery does not do anything of the kind. The Rom you flashed did that. The twrp recovery was at one time for the at&t it's just old. The recovery doesn't add our change anything to make your phone think it's on Sprint. The synegy rom is multi-carrier but still has a different zip file for each carrier. If you flash the one for sprint (obviously you did) it will screw up your phone (which it did).

Instead of blaming the root process and file I provided, try pointing your finger into the mirror. The blame goes to you.

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
For reference, here's the TWRP page for the SGH-I747 (d2att):
http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/104

Thanks for proving my point. If you follow post-mortem's link to the official twrp AT&T page and then under "Download - Odin Flashable Tar:" you will see
Select the latest .tar file from here You will quite plainly see that twrp 2.3.1.0 is for the at&T phone.

I said to myself when I originally posted this guide that the 1st time some moron screws up their phone and blames this method/files or me, I would remove the guide and support I've given.

This guide has made it a year and a half and I continued to support it for a full 6 months after I myself have moved on to another device. I have always supported my threads as long as they're up but since I will no longer be supporting this thread my guide must come down.

.It was a good run and I hope it has helped many of you but it ends here.

radtech777

Feb 12, 2010
St. Louis
Thanks for sharing your talents with us and all you did for our community. I used your method a while back and it worked perfectly and quickly. :thumbup::):beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

bomba_king

Jun 10, 2013
Need Help - Wifi not working after install of Synergyrom 484

Need help fixing an issue im getting with the WIFI after installing Synergyrom r484 on my S3 SGH-I747M,

Phone is working fine except I cant seem to turn on WIFI. please help TIA

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
You'll probably get better help in your ROM's thread, but the first thing I would try is to reflash the ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide deleted....
    Okay, I've taken the time to tinker with Heimdall a bit to get the partition identifiers from my own phone (which matches up from the info from this old thread), and have put together the following, which seems to work for me. This was with Heimdall 1.4-rc1; I think earlier versions don't accept numeric identifiers.

You'd probably better have a plan on hand to get things back to normal if this doesn't work (I'm not responsible for your bricking your own device if this doesn't work).

You'll need to extract the .tar image before using this; if you're at a command line,
    Code:
    tar xf <image>.tar
    should suffice to do that. You'll end up with the following files:
    Code:
    aboot.mbn
    boot.img
    cache.img.ext4
    NON-HLOS.bin
    recovery.img
    rpm.mbn
    sbl2.mbn
    sbl3.mbn
    system.img.ext4
    tz.mbn
    Afterwards, boot your phone into download mode (from a powered-down phone, Vol Down + Home + Power Button until you see the Samsung logo) and make sure you're completely ready and have backups and all before you run the following (I'm not going to be held responsible for you bricking your own phone and being unable to recover from it afterwards):

Code:
    heimdall flash --1 NON-HLOS.bin --3 sbl2.mbn --4 sbl3.mbn --5 aboot.mbn --6 rpm.mbn --7 boot.img --8 tz.mbn --14 system.img.ext4 --17 cache.img.ext4 --18 recovery.img

You should be able to get away with flashing only some of those images instead of all of them (in particular, if you have a third party recovery from somewhere, you might want to omit the recovery image); that said, if you're only flashing some of the specified images as opposed to all of them, I'm almost certain it will trip the flash counter. (I don't know if flashing *everything* will trip the flash counter or not, though, seeing as I deliberately did not flash the recovery during my own test for ease of restoring my phone to its normal happy state.)
    Does this method trip the flash counter? :confused:

Yes it does. But it's not an issue. Just run triangle away just before going back to stock and it will reset you back to zero.

See the instructions to unroot and return to stock.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=215018
    Jelly bean ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Yes... It will work with Jellybean. This method does not install a prerooted image tar. So it will root whatever Is on your phone without any regard. It simply installs custom recovery and root.
    Thanks man! Followed the guide on GalaxyS3Root.com after updating Jelly bean and it failed. This one works perfectly on my AT&T GS3! Cheers!

No problem... the at&t guys on Android Central have been using my guide to root their phones for quite some time now. So I know it works. Glad you were successful. :D