Waterdamaged phones

• Thread starter Deleted member 3493119
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 3493119

Hey everyone,
My Xperia Z1 Compact has been sent in to the repair center now because of a waterdamage caused by a leaking backcover / frame whick killed the camera button first and then the mainboard. All flaps and so were closed and no water got in that way. 2-3 weeks and I'll have my Z1 Compact again.

Anyone else who've been sending in their phones on warranty because of waterdamage? How did it go? Did they replace the phone or did they just repair it?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Hey everyone,
My Xperia Z1 Compact has been sent in to the repair center now because of a waterdamage caused by a leaking backcover / frame whick killed the camera button first and then the mainboard. All flaps and so were closed and no water got in that way. 2-3 weeks and I'll have my Z1 Compact again.

Anyone else who've been sending in their phones on warranty because of waterdamage? How did it go? Did they replace the phone or did they just repair it?

thats scarry. even if waterproof, i wont risk my z1c in the pool anytime. heard lots of storys about the z1c damaging itself with water even with flaps closed...

D

Deleted member 3493119

thats scarry. even if waterproof, i wont risk my z1c in the pool anytime. heard lots of storys about the z1c damaging itself with water even with flaps closed...

Yes, I was terrified whem my phone broke as I've only had it for 2-3 weeks :(. I hope that they'll resolves it, otherwise I will just use my insurance.

And this phone, Xperia Arc S, drives me crazy as it's slow and sluggish.

Yokobln

Dec 9, 2012
Berlin
Man, I don't even want to know how Sony is going to handle warranty claims based on water damage.
It's going to be a nightmare. At least in Germany, where mobile phone companies try a lot of things to avoid a warranty repair / exchange.
How will it be possible for the consumer (and Sony) to determine whether it was an open port or a valid claim....?
How are things going to play out if Sony claims that it was an open port - and I'm sure it wasn't.

Those are the concerns that make me keep my Z1c dry at the moment...

Regards,

Yoko

soulreaver99

Dec 17, 2007
Pasadena
Yup happened to me.

What happened was, I bought this in Taiwan on my honeymoon and to test the "WaterProof" claim, I threw it in the ocean in Guam, took under water photos with it and it died a few hours later.

Sony said that they it is waterproof only in FRESHWATER but the repair center was nice enough to send me a brand new replacement unit. Since this was a product outside of the USA region, they actually went out of their way to import it and send it to me. The process took a month but I'm happy they made the effort!

Reactions: aigaming

Yokobln

Dec 9, 2012
Berlin
Sony said that they it is waterproof only in FRESHWATER but the repair center was nice enough to send me a brand new replacement unit.

WOW!

That would never hapen in Germany, at least I have never heard of such a customer service!
Indeed the Z1c is only rated for fresh water with the explanation that salt water will conduct electricity between the two magnetic charger points...
I don't know about that, but at least they gave an explanation...

Yoko

D

Deleted member 3493119

So there are more people who've been encountering this "issue". Hmm

zike47222

Apr 12, 2014
Creaky back

Did your backcover sound weird when pressing down on it on 2 of the corners?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My fones back is somewhat creaky.. should i be worried about this waterdamage stuff? I use it in water alot and dont want to ruin it but i got a waterproof fone cause i wanted a 'waterproof' one! I want to install the glass back to maby make it more solid.

thormdac

Jun 17, 2005
in front of your monitor
howdy all,

bought my device early february in germany and took it into a freshwater pool standing and taking a couple of underwater face shots via the camera button.
shortly after that the display startet to get all distorted and i powered it off all the way and took out all cards. i thoroughly airdryed it with the car vents on my way back home and was able to revive it.
a couple of days later i repeated the procedure in the said pool and it killed the device - it shut down and upon restart it got stuck at the battery symbol.
all indicators had turned red even though i am sure i closed all holes correctly and did not exceed the depth limitations!

since there was no saturn in my city i returned it to mediamarkt, who luckily exchanged the device to a brand spanking new one- i doubt they send it to sony care center before that!

lucky me, i guess!
left wondering how far i can go with my new device and what the cause for this dreaded leakage might have been !!!???

greetz

Reactions: ro_explorer

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe in this way Sony will realize that when they write IPX7 on their specs, people expect that rating to be real.

xxtraloud

Apr 22, 2014
Sorry folks but I am not going to take a risk to use the phone under water just to take two silly pictures. I think it's nice to have a phone that you can use while it rains, but if I really want to take pics underwater I just buy a camera. Also this 30 minutes limit sounds kinda silly, I never heard a waterproof device that goes by time.

I am not sure how sony got that rating approved, or even if the rating is approved or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whumpscut

bilboa1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 16, 2010
i put mine under water quite a few times (fresh water) never an issue. be certain your flaps are closed 'n stuff
i even showered with it for the heck of it

D

Deleted member 3493119

Update:
It seems like I will get a new Z1 Compact, as the servivce status has been changed to:
Waiting for technical information from manufacturer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you're all idiots for doing anything with water, especially with reports of water damaged phones dating back to when z1c was just released, do your damn research
    Sony advertises this phone as waterproof, almost in all advertisements it has water spilled on it or it's underwater filming something or anything else water related.
    Now you come to tell me i am idiot when i do the exact same things with water Sony is showing us this phone is capable of doing?

When i bought the phone i said clearly you bring me bowl of water, drunk the phone in for 5 minutes and if it still works i buy it. Luckily the first one they tried to sell me failed even tho the flaps were closed. And i end up with tested, waterproof phone :D

In the period of 5 months i've taken underwater videos, dunk phone in huge beer bottle, dropped it in a river and it survived 1 year in army while it got wet so many times. And it still works.

For conclusion i would say there are working phones and with defects phones that fail the first time they get in touch with water.
    D
    Deleted member 3493119
    @OP,

I've been through a similar experience with yours ... more details here .. starting from #12.
    Spoilers: happy ending :) ... at #28

Did your backcover sound weird when pressing down on it on 2 of the corners?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yup happened to me.

What happened was, I bought this in Taiwan on my honeymoon and to test the "WaterProof" claim, I threw it in the ocean in Guam, took under water photos with it and it died a few hours later.

Sony said that they it is waterproof only in FRESHWATER but the repair center was nice enough to send me a brand new replacement unit. Since this was a product outside of the USA region, they actually went out of their way to import it and send it to me. The process took a month but I'm happy they made the effort!
    howdy all,

bought my device early february in germany and took it into a freshwater pool standing and taking a couple of underwater face shots via the camera button.
    shortly after that the display startet to get all distorted and i powered it off all the way and took out all cards. i thoroughly airdryed it with the car vents on my way back home and was able to revive it.
    a couple of days later i repeated the procedure in the said pool and it killed the device - it shut down and upon restart it got stuck at the battery symbol.
    all indicators had turned red even though i am sure i closed all holes correctly and did not exceed the depth limitations!

since there was no saturn in my city i returned it to mediamarkt, who luckily exchanged the device to a brand spanking new one- i doubt they send it to sony care center before that!

lucky me, i guess!
    left wondering how far i can go with my new device and what the cause for this dreaded leakage might have been !!!???

greetz
    Hey, buddy! You should be a little more polite on the forums. Calling people idiots will not bring you any fans you know?

// sent from my phone //