[APP] < CarPal > Monitor maintenance for several cars with autoreminders | v0.91 beta

Search This thread

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
[APP] < CarPal > Monitor maintenance for several cars with autoreminders | v0.91 beta

UPDATE April 4: I decided to stop the development for the WM OS. I sold my WM phones and switched over to Android (N1). I'll continue working on this app for that OS. Sorry to whoever was waiting for updates for WM, and a HUGE "thank you" to guys who provided feedback/requests for features.

The whole idea was to create a modernly-designed application for my Rhodium that would keep track of different maintenance tasks for my car. What makes this app different from the others is that you set how many miles you drive per day (on the average we drive same amount, give or take), that will allow the App to "predict" what your car's odometer shows. Based on that (+ depending on how many days ahead you want the reminder to be) it will throw a reminder telling you about that particular task.

Currently, the project in is beta. It's fully usable, but not yet as easy/convenient/cool as I want it to be. Of course, I expect there to be bugs, but mostly visual, non-critical stuff that I'm still working on. For curious minds, data is stored in CarPalData.xml in the working folder, unencrypted. I decided to keep it that way for easy access and modification.

If anybody wants to tinker with this on his/her own, lemme know, I'll make it open-source.

Update Feb 26: Sorry guys, got a real big project at work right now, no time for on-the-side development... Should free up next week or so, I definitelly want to add some cool new features to CarPal. Thanks for all the feedback - I'll use it to prioritize the new features. Most likely expect the bike support, gas usage/stats and Dutch/Spanish/Italian languages in next release. Hang tight =)

Please send me your translations!
To translate the app, follow these simple steps:
1. Install the app.
2. Go to \Device\Program Files\CarPal\ and grab the CarPalTranslations.xml file from there.
3. Inside the file, duplicate the "English" node, and rename it to your language name.
4. Translate all the strings in your new node, just make sure you keep the node names intact, only rename the contents of the "string" attribute.
5. Send me your file and you'll see your language in the new release!

Features:
  • Works with any "decent" resolution (Q|VGA, W|VGA, landscape + portrait).
  • Wizard-based data entry
  • High-contrast design to be easily visible outside
  • Keep track of multiple cars in the same app
  • Create multiple tasks for every car
  • Automatic reminders based on how many miles you drive per day on average
  • Add additional details to your tasks, like locations, owners, etc.

New in version 0.91b:
  • Multi-language support. Comes with English and Russian by default. Very easy XML translation, contact me if you wanna translate it.
  • New item in settings - can switch languages from there.

Screenshots (made in WVGA):

screenshot3pu.jpg

Still being worked on:
  • If you hide the app instead of exiting, it will hide too damn well. hard to bring it back up.
  • Some visual bugs
  • Get rid of that horrible icon.
  • Integrating reminders into system reminders
  • Testing how well the app behaves when it's hidden (running in the background)
  • Improving interface to be more clear as to where user is at, etc
  • Non-touchscreen device support. So far app relies on users tapping on buttons.
  • Add csv importing funtions
  • Some easy method of translating interface to diff. languages
  • Other things on my list...

I'd love some feedback, if you tried it - let me know how it worked for you, and what are your thoughts.
And remember - I keep all data in a separate xml file, so you won't lose any data as the app is updated. So feel free to enter your stuff into the app, just backup the CarPalData.xml as needed.

Last edited:

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
Plus, I would like to add my maintenance schedule without having to insert a reminder.:)

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
Awesome app wish it was in kilometers.. :(

Excellent point, and an obvious one too.. how could I miss it :eek:
While I'm adding that to settings, you can still use it fine, numbers are numbers, there's nothing in the functionality that would "care" if it's in actual miles, kilometers or millimeters =)

I'll add that setting today/tomorrow.

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
New version - 0.91beta:
  • Multi-language support. Comes with English and Russian by default.

If you want to translate it, let me know so I can add your language to the install package.

Translation is very easy - install the CAB, then get the CarPalTranslation.xml file from the install directory.
In there, just create a new "Language" node, copy/paste any existing language, and modify the strings. You can test it right there, just launch the App, go to settings, and switch to your language. Remember that app-restart is required.

More stuff is coming in the next version...

joshzzz2001

Mar 25, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
very, very interesting! this would be a very useful app. i'm looking forward to it. i am also for a list of regular maintenance that can be ticked for each car, e.g. oil change, tire rotation, wheel alignment, etc., and reminds you of it based on the set mileage, let's say, every 3,000 miles.

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
very, very interesting! this would be a very useful app. i'm looking forward to it. i am also for a list of regular maintenance that can be ticked for each car, e.g. oil change, tire rotation, wheel alignment, etc., and reminds you of it based on the set mileage, let's say, every 3,000 miles.

At this time you can do all of that, except for creating one task for several cars at the same time. I'm still working on that.
If you have just 1 car, that won't really make a difference for you, so you're good to go. For several cars, I'm working on creating a nice table that will let you handle all of them easily and at the same time.

Give it a nice test run and let me know if it works for ya =)

P.S: table functionality is coming next week, most likely.

Thanks=)

NLS

May 27, 2005
Piraeus
www.ilogic.gr
looks nice

requests (if you please):

- different background (I for one use this for my motorcycle, not car)... if you can't allow us to choose background then at least give two options: (1) MY bike (a BMW R1200GS) :p (2) a plain background (maybe the popular carbon fiber one)

- ability to import CSV

that's all before I even try it :) more after I do

luckyuser

Oct 18, 2006
View attachment 285099
New version - 0.91beta:
  • Multi-language support. Comes with English and Russian by default.
If you want to translate it, let me know so I can add your language to the install package.

Translation is very easy - install the CAB, then get the CarPalTranslation.xml file from the install directory.
In there, just create a new "Language" node, copy/paste any existing language, and modify the strings. You can test it right there, just launch the App, go to settings, and switch to your language. Remember that app-restart is required.

More stuff is coming in the next version...

Made a Dutch translation for you, but can't get it work. I'm sure you wil fix it.I overwrote the English text in the editor and after that I saved the file again. I do not know what I've done wrong:confused:I hope you can add it soon! Could not upload the xml.file, so i did it in text format:confused::(

TATAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, it works great now!
I add the English file again and now it works

I also commended alongside a few comments or suggestions. Obviously intended positive;)
- ability to add dealer or servicepoint, contactperson, adres etc.(maybe dealerlogo) or linked with a Pocket Outlook Contact.
- larger field for notes, more information about task/service
- more matching fontsize in userinterface and textinput fields.
Userinterface is a bit to small, text input to big in my opinion.
- task/service planning also possible with scheduling (pocket agenda), not only by km or miles(Most services are km based but also time based)Sound Alerts can also be planned with the Agenda alarmfunction.
- background change or switch for each car or motorcycle(more evident).At aglance you can see more quickly which car ot motorcycle is meant for a service.
- creating a masterlist for service or maintenance with checkbox option.
So that you can create a todo-list from that masterlist for each service, car or motorcycle.

Succes with development!

Attachments

• CarPalTranslation.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

NLS

May 27, 2005
Piraeus
www.ilogic.gr
ok tried it - seems it is missing the most important feature for me - fuel and fuel statistics

anyway keep up the good work, I'll check it out from time to time

johnny5rlx

Nov 18, 2009
does this app require the GPS to be turned on all the time or do you periodically update the distance travelled?