[DEV][2012/08/29] Multiboot v0.8

Search This thread

TerenceWSK

Nov 20, 2012
GZ
Thx walter for ur multiboot solution.
And sry that I don't do anything for defy anymore but I can't develope for two devices. Even for one the time is very limited.

I hope u don't bother me :)

And since xda doesn't like xiaomi I can't post my results here :p

So we will never get multiboot script work with 2nd-boot rom? What a pity. But why can't you post your result:)

Sent from MOTOROLA RAZR V?

Deonix

Dec 13, 2009
Bucharest
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I have tried several things regarding the calibration, but haven't gotten far since I have no idea what I'm doing :D. Yesterday I flashed one of the builds that have the new WiFi drivers and tried fooling around with the TQS_D_1.7_127x.ini file used for calibration for several hours... no luck. It would be nice if the developers would try to either fix the issue, or create builds with the old drivers.

In my case, I never had any WiFi problems with the old drivers, and from what I've found, others haven't had much problems either with the old drivers either, so I'm not really sure there is a point in having new drivers. Maybe WiFi direct won't work without them, I don't know. Either way, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I wouldn't expect any serious developer to live by that, since I don't; I'll flash almost any new build if I have the time, just for the sake of trying something new. :good:

The only reason I stopped using Quarx's ROMs (and basically any new CM10/10.1 ROM, since everyone bases their ROMs on Quarx's) is due to the fact that until we actually see changes being made to the WiFi, I know for a fact this problem will still be there.

And, I do consider it a bug since I can easily reproduce it, and if you do a WiFi direct peer search, the interference will stop while it's searching; but actually figuring out what's going on with that is way out of my league.

The only way to prevent this, in my case, is getting closer to the router, and I've tested/confirmed this with at least 7 different Quarx ROMs uploaded after 03/26 (including CM 10.1), "Slim-3.1.1-mb526-20130527-1138-UNOFFICIAL", and "Taki_jeden_rom_03062013".

Thanks for the reply. I meant to post this in Quarx's 4.2.2 thread but somehow ended up posting here. And i didn't drink :)) last night. I was dead on tired though. I for one know i have a cheap 30$ router and don't except to much from it, but it's been working for the last 2 years since i bought my Defy so it should work now. After a couple of reboots it seems to work. Will test further. I am well aware it's a real bug. It happened to me a lot on some nightlies in the past when Quarx was testing Wifi drivers.

shgu0132

Sep 27, 2011
This works! The instructions must be followed precisely ... thank you Walter!!

Sent from my MB526 using xda app-developers app

M

mackief

@m11kkaa , I know it has been developed strictly for Defy, but I wonder if you could tell me which part of code provided to DefyMultiboot@Github is based on your Defy info and specs, so that I can understand where is the parts I have to change to port it to my phone.

PS: Obviously in the hypothesis you let me port it! :p

m11kkaa

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2011
@m11kkaa , I know it has been developed strictly for Defy, but I wonder if you could tell me which part of code provided to DefyMultiboot@Github is based on your Defy info and specs, so that I can understand where is the parts I have to change to port it to my phone.

PS: Obviously in the hypothesis you let me port it! :p

For which device? If you have unlocked bootloader. MultiROM is a better solution because you can use different kernels.
Multiboot for defy expects that all roms have the same kernel.

rokrmotolovers

Apr 18, 2012
bogor
step by step how to install multiboot
I tried to install multiboot v0.8-20120829-signed.zip but failed when load os i see the blue LED red LED continues after it restarts again and againt Defy

I am doing a step like this
- First install rom cm10.xxx
- Multiboot install Lastest version
- From the boot menu I select mutliboot
- Choose recovery Lastest recovery
- Wipe data
- Wipe cache
- Install rom cm10.xx
- Reboot not working in select boot os though 2ndboot of the boot

sorry my bad english

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I created a new thread for this so I can edit the first post for release-info.
    This is the old thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133866

Please note that the multiboot-feature will be removed if you update your real system.
    The virtual systems will stay on the sdcard so just reinstall the mod and you can boot your virtual systems again :)

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]v0.8:[/B]
    - addon.d (Multiboot will be kept on ROM-Update)
    - working reboot recovery inside multiboot-rom(will boot directly into the recovery for that rom)
    - working reboot into bootmenu inside multiboot-rom
    - security-fixes
    - TLS-support
    - fixed sdcard-problems for NAND-system

[B]v0.7:[/B]
    - added integration in touchbootmenu. This is no compatibility-patch - since now multiboot can only be used in combination with touchbootmenu

[B]v0.6.1:[/B]
    - fixed some memory-leaks in kernel-module
    - fixed stupid bug which prevented creating backups on first start

[B]v0.6:[/B]
    - new hook-method with kernel-side code which should be the solution to most rom-problems 
    - fixed a bug which prevented mounting cache-partition inside recovery
    - fixed installer-bug when TouchBootmenu is used on NAND
    - reboot to recovery/bootmenu does not work for now. will be fixed in future

[B]v0.5.5:[/B]
    - support for Stock-roms with Greenbreadmod
    - added version-file(for updater which comes soon)

[B]v0.5.4:[/B]
    - fixed problem with install-script

[B]v0.5.3:[/B]
    - support for TWRP recovery
    - fixed problem with virtual systems with names longer than 9 chars
    - don't change 2ndBoot-script for bootmenus with 2ndSystem-support
    - show graphical error-message when error was detected and copy log to "/cache/multiboot/error.log"
    - experimental support for booting stock-roms

[B]v0.5.2:[/B]
    - more configurable(via config-file)
    - fixed error-detection. On early errors you will get back to bootmenu
    - fix boot-problems for some roms

[B]v0.5.1:[/B]
    - fixed crash of GUI when choosing recovery
    - fixed bug which prevented creating important images on first boot
    - virtual systems now are using nand-backups with real data so you could install backups of virtual systems on NAND
    - installer sets default bootmode to 2nd-boot
    - added recovery-option for NAND
    - patch background-image of virtual recovery so you see if you are flashing real or virtual system
    - reboot system if you click "Go Back" in virtual recovery(until I found a solution for going back to multiboot-GUI)

[B]v0.5:[/B]
    - better protection against unwanted changes on real partitions(thanks wizwin)
    - fix Phone for for GB-kernel(thanks quarx)
    - set props so apps can detect if phone started with multiboot or not(for future versions of multiboot-manager)
    - reboot into bootmenu/recovery now works
    ATTENTION: reboot into recovery will open recovery for REAL system!!!
    - added GUI for choosing which (virtual) system you want to boot

[B]v0.4:[/B]
    - replacing all references to real system with stub-image(will be automatically created at /sdcard/fsimage/stub.img). 
      Now the recovery for the virtual system should be completely abstracted and it shouldn't make any changes to the real system
    - a PDS-backup will be created and injected because it's needed by android-system and above change removes the reference

[B]v0.3/v0.3.1:[/B]
    - moving original system-partition to another location instead of lazy unmount so she will be accessible in 2ndBoot-system and will not be busy
    - fixed recovery to improve installer-zip compatibility. MIUI works now
    - internal script-changes

[B]v0.2:[/B]
    - "Install zip from SDcard" works now
    - changed hook-method so it works with more ROM's(including ICS)

[B]v0.1:[/B]
    First release

Source:
    https://github.com/M1cha/DefyMultiboot

Download:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1289953&d=1346244428

Installation:
    1. Download zip-file and copy to sdcard
    2. create 3 filesystem-images in ext3-format and copy them to /sdcard/multiboot/NAME with the names system.img, data.img and cache.img.
    Please replace NAME with the folder-name of your virtual system(you have to create this)
    You can download ready-to-use images from here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/VY3U4IXRO1
    2. install zip-file in CWM

Some info:
    - The menu-entry "Lastest Recovery" is no longer supported and will affect your real system!
    - boot the System-Chooser with the 2ndBoot-option in bootmenu

Bugs:
    - Data-Wipe deletes android_secure

Donate:
    Developing Multiboot makes much fun and I really like the results but takes much time, so feel free to donate a beer.
    Tutorial For Multiboot

Well its said you cant learn anything well if you haven't learn it in hard way ( applies true for me . ). For people who are facing problem with 0.5.1-v0.5.4 i would post a short steps for them how to proceed . Assume i am starting from zero

1. Open Stable recovery flash CM7/CM9 (preferably froyo kernel).
    2. Now boot into CM7/CM9 verify your primary system is running fine .
    3. Find the fsimages attached in first post . Extract it under
    /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system name> (eg. /sdcard/multiboot/CM7.2)
    4. Boot into recovery again (Either of Latest / Stable).
    5. Flash bootmenu v0.5.1 and reboot
    6. When blue LED flashes press down volume rocker .
    7. In boot menu select 2nd boot .
    8. When you select 2nd boot , your menu should appear something like this

CM7.2
    MIUI
    Codename

Boot from Nand (Real system)
    Recovery (CWM)
    Reboot

9. Now select CWM .It would now show all virtual images But not the Recovery (CWM) string anymore. Smething like this

CM7.2
    MIUI
    Codename

But now you wont see any nand boot (Real system) or reboot string anymore.

10.Select anyone of those. But before that be sure you have copied all of the fsimages under /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system> ( as mentioned in step 3).You would get a long pause . As if phone has stopped responding . But actually your phone is jus fine .Its just creating the file system images. Dont PANIC!!

11. Now after long pause when the image files have been created . you would see your lovely recovery . Now this is the recovery you have been love in with .

12. Flash your virtual system zip selecting zip from sdcard (MIUI , Codename , CM7 whatever).

13.After flashing has been completed reboot and go to bootmenu .
    14. Go to 2nd boot You would see now CM7.2 in menu.Select it and you would be inside CM7.2 !!!!!!!!

Note : Before trying all this make sure you have put the default boot as 2nd-System ( If you are using Multiboot version greater than 0.5.2 alongwith bootmenu 1.1.8) . If not then default boot should be 2nd-Boot.

Update : There has been quite a few updates on Notes section : We can use GB roms as well as confirmed by nogoodusername .

The setup has to be :
    Primary : GB Rom
    Sdcard : (System 1: GB Rom , System 2 : GB Rom )

Attachment : Lite version of File system fsimages ( credits pabloltg).

You cant use combination of both GB and Froyo Roms at the same time in Sdcard + Primary . Stick to Either Primary + Sdcard = Full GB Or else Primary + Sdcard = Full Froyo .

Updates : 23 April 2012

1. There is small utility IC4Mv2.zip for creating images of any size . You can also find the attachment in this post as well . Instructions are given in the link .Credits dlhxr.

Updates : 12 April 2012

1.The zip bm_cwm_mb_v0.5-signed.zip ( Credits Nepotu ) is script containing the latest bootmenu (1.1.8), stable recovery = TWRP, custom recovery = classic recovery, multiboot v0.5.3/4 and Defy overclock modules. Default boot mode is set to 2nd-init Not 2nd system.

Some Notes :

1. Codename 1.6 : Use Royalee's MBM to create VFS (fsimages) of size mentioned . System : 300 MB , data : 250 MB , Cache : 150 MB . Or else It wont boot in Virtual system.

2. If you are using GB setup . Use walter's DHT kernel (Credits to walter) for an outstanding battery life . Works both on CM7 Defy+ as well as CM9 Defy+ builds(Red Lens Defy only).

3. If you are directly under bootmenu . Either of custom/stable recovery would affect your real system(Nand system). If you really need the recovery for the virtual system , Please read Steps 8,9 again.

Report Issues : https://github.com/M1cha/DefyMultiboot/issues

Enjoy !! i hope i have covered every detail of the multiboot and confusion . IF i have missed out any point . Please pm me and notify :D :D :D

Thanks a lot to leodfs , M1kkaa, Royalee, nogoodusername , pabloltg , nepotu ,Epsylon For all the support and hardwork behind this multiboot to be success :)
    Bootmenu 1.1.6 will have a new boot option dedicated to the multiboot...

I need to know what files are required to keep the multiboot system upon rom nightly upgrade... (automatic backup like overclock config and baseband)

This third kind of boot is named 2nd-system and will not be included in CM roms to keep data upon upgrades...

so the principe is :
    backup the script /system/bootmenu/script/2nd-system.sh
    backup the folder /system/bootmenu/2nd-system (or whatever is required)

bootmenu will allow the use of 2nd-system.sh as a default choice too, if script is present...
    I managed to make a successful build of CM7 and now I can start developement of a new bootmenu with multiboot-features :)
    Ok now I can boot roms with the new kernel-hooking-method and it's working just fine. I didn't try stock-roms yet. I'll release the new version soon.