[ROM][NAND] GBX0* + 3.3.x kernel

Search This thread

imohtep

Sep 20, 2008
Hi, thanks Detule for this new update, i upgrade the kernel 3.3.6 in my TP2 R500 CDMA, and i have data service and wifi works fine to, i set overclock 710Mhz max y 225Mhz min, but i see the battery drain is amazing very very hightes and more with data service on (3 or 4 hours :( ); i only use gmail push, email push and whastapp; do you need logs for this to?

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Hi, thanks Detule for this new update, i upgrade the kernel 3.3.6 in my TP2 R500 CDMA, and i have data service and wifi works fine to, i set overclock 710Mhz max y 225Mhz min, but i see the battery drain is amazing very very hightes and more with data service on (3 or 4 hours :( ); i only use gmail push, email push and whastapp; do you need logs for this to?

Overclock + lots of syncing apps + old battery = short life.

Also, I don't think the 3.x NAND kernels have the new battery code... So charging in Android on 3.x is going to be like HaRET, you're probably not charging it fully (whether you think you are or not, it's not actually charging fully).

imohtep

Sep 20, 2008
Ok my friend i agree with you,I'm aware of it, but last night i turn off everything, Data, GPS, Sync, Stop push email, full charge 11pm , and this morning my phone was dead, no battery :( ; i think is not for you say, if you say me is a bad phone signal, i dont think so, because i other test the battery life is better, i hope you friends can find any improved for this, Anyway, as I am very pleased with the progress in this rom and I thank everyone involved for this great work.

Note: I know the tp2 power of the sounds in winmo , its possible level up a little the volume of the sounds (ringtones and notifications) in this rom?

Last edited:

argenisaz

May 2, 2010
El Tigrito, Anzoátegui
If you didn't experience any problems updating from 3.3.4 to 3.3.6 ignore this post.

To those of you who had a problem with wifi/data going from 3.3.4->3.3.6:

1. Reinstall gbx0c-ota
2. Reinstall ril_update
3. Reinstall (this is a new link):

Seems problem was somehow tied to a faulty re-write of the dmesg binary in the system partition (this is why some of you couldn't successfully revert to 3.3.4).

Thanks to milda25 for testing the solution, and for everyone who collected detailed logs.

Installed on RHOD500 CDMA, wifi and data work fine! Thank you!

Sent from my MSM using XDA

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
I have been seeing a lot of SD CARD UNEXPECTEDLY REMOVED errors lately. I have tried two different sandisk cards, and have done a full format on them using the hp tool. Do you see anything in the logs that might give a hint as to why this might be acting up?
http://pastebin.com/ctELzztm

I do see mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SD card in the logs, but I am afraid I do not know that code or if it is relevant.

If I remove the card and replace it, the card will come back online for awhile. Seems that the more I try to use apps accessing the card the more frequently it fails.

Last edited:
Reactions: argenisaz

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
Okay, got GBX0C up and running on NAND now. It actually feels a little slower, subjectively, but that may just be that I haven't tuned it up the same way yet, but overall it feels solid.

Much love for having USB Mass Storage. Makes my car happy, too, since it means it can control the music directly.

But here's a minor issue. After having loaded on my usual set of apps, and uninstalling the stock apps I never use...

Code:
/dev/block/mtdblock3    192.0M    120.1M     71.9M  63% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock4    228.9M    175.3M     53.6M  77% /data

Not much use for 72MB free on /system!

Any suggestions for how to shift things around? Since repartitioning sounds annoying (and would require redoing my apps AGAIN) the "obvious" solution to make more efficient use of space would be to move some apps from /data to /system (my launcher is a good example of something that would make sense there). Of course, I don't see how to actually DO this. Suggestions?

n2rjt

Okay, got GBX0C up and running on NAND now. It actually feels a little slower, subjectively, but that may just be that I haven't tuned it up the same way yet, but overall it feels solid.

Much love for having USB Mass Storage. Makes my car happy, too, since it means it can control the music directly.

But here's a minor issue. After having loaded on my usual set of apps, and uninstalling the stock apps I never use...

Code:
/dev/block/mtdblock3    192.0M    120.1M     71.9M  63% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock4    228.9M    175.3M     53.6M  77% /data

Not much use for 72MB free on /system!

Any suggestions for how to shift things around? Since repartitioning sounds annoying (and would require redoing my apps AGAIN) the "obvious" solution to make more efficient use of space would be to move some apps from /data to /system (my launcher is a good example of something that would make sense there). Of course, I don't see how to actually DO this. Suggestions?

Easy. Use a root shell, remount system as rw, copy the app from data apps to system apps. Probably should reboot into recovery and clear dalvik cache. Easier might be the pay titanium backup but I can't say.

More detailed steps
1. Use terminal emulator or from pc use adb shell.
2. su
3. mount -o rw,remount /system
4. cp /data/app/yourapp.apk /system/app
Then reboot, go into recovery, clear dalvik cache, boot.
Experts please correct anything I misstated.

Sent from my MSM using XDA

Reactions: CodaHighland

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
Oh, that's all it is? I expected there to be more effort in getting pm to recognize that the packages had moved. Thanks! I'll give it a whirl.

Edit: Seems to have worked! I moved about 20MB of stuff from /data to /system, but decided to stop there because the rest of the apps are mostly games.

Edit 2: Hmm. Seems not every app likes doing that...

Last edited:

xXHawkeyeXx

Dec 26, 2009
Rochester
Hmm, If I'm not mistaking, I think both the 3.3.x Kernels have Vsync enabled. If so, Any way we can go about disabling it?

Last edited:

imohtep

Sep 20, 2008
Grand Master Detule I am very happy with the behavior of this ROM took a week of testing with the active data service and so far I have not had any crazy reset or SOD (HTC R500, CDMA kernel 3.3.6), there will be some hope for improving performance battery? or anything that could make this fact?

Again thank you very much for all this great work they have given new life to our phones.

Sorry for my bad english..!!

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
Detule:

GSM data and APN problems can maybe fixed by a different libhtcgeneric_ril.so

I switch on my cm7 build to old acl lib..ril.so and APN setting and data works well.

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Detule:

GSM data and APN problems can maybe fixed by a different libhtcgeneric_ril.so

I switch on my cm7 build to old acl lib..ril.so and APN setting and data works well.

I am glad what I suggested about reverting back to ACL's ril (makes sense right: ACL's ril is optimized to work his init scripts), however nobody has reported any data issues on this build - don't pollute this thread please.

I think you will avoid many of these issues if you don't try and match kernels and scripts from one build with parts from other builds.

Last edited:

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
I am glad what I suggested about reverting back to ACL's ril on his CM build worked for you on ACL's CM port (makes sense right: ACL's ril is optimized to work with ACL's build and ACL's init scripts), however nobody has reported any data issues on this build - don't pollute this thread please.

I think you will avoid many of these issues if you don't try and match kernels and scripts from one build with parts from other builds. In addition to being a recipe for disaster - it is a little disingenuous to take credit for various "fixes" when the reason things aren't working in the first place is because you have unwittingly paired system images with mismatched binaries from other builds.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26187276&postcount=134

I have to enable data roaming and add my APN.

I tried with a fresh install --> ril update --> latest kernel.

Problem still present

Edit: Thanks for help to get CM7 working

detule

Jan 30, 2010

I can live with that. Using another RIL without understanding what's the problem in the first place is not a good way to go about things.

Edit: Thanks for help to get CM7 working

No problem - i didn't do hardly anything, really all credit should go to ACL since he wrote that ril and the scripts to go with it.

Last edited:

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
Ok, so I decided to do a clean build. Wiped the memory, installed the GBX0 and patches. Pushed my apps, and then got an SD card error.

Attachments

• data.zip
    150 bytes · Views: 4

Eric Z

May 16, 2011
Copenhagen
Detule:

Thanks for implementing this to NAND. It works fine on my Rhod 100. I have no experienced anything that should not happen. Some small issues on my device are known issues. For me this build on NAND acts exactly as it is on SD, very cool:D.

So now I really look forward to one day we will have the battery codes from ACL + ability of change map of physical keyboard.

Great thanks to those guys behinde the GBX0-build.

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
Ok, so I decided to do a clean build. Wiped the memory, installed the GBX0 and patches. Pushed my apps, and then got an SD card error.

So I took the same SD card, built it out using the GBX0C sd version and have had no issues using the 3.3.6 kernel. I did see in another thread that someone was saying that the SD card was going to sleep and not being remounted correctly when it woke up when they were using 3.3.6. Maybe this is the same issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

Just a quick note on something we've been working with jonpry on. The title says it all - this is not an official GBX build/release, rather something I compiled from the current GBX tree.

As always, if you are submitting an issue -> post complete GetLogs output -> otherwise I promise you, I will ignore your post.

This is work in progress, so don't expect everything will be smooth. Having said that, it works remarkably well, and it performs at a high level. Here is what I know does not work for sure:

1. Auto-backlight.
    2. No idea what the reboot option does, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just hangs your device.

Other issues I am sure will come up.

As always, props to ACL for LK/recovery + early nand pioneering work.

This comes with the usual disclaimers - flashing your phone is inherently dangerous, etc. So do this at your own risk.

Download here, and flash via CWM recovery. Alternative Mirror Location.
    Kernel update containing bug fixes. Flash also via CWM. Alternative Mirror Location.
    CRITICAL: ril_update.zip. Should fix booting problems form GSM flks. Flash also via CWM. Alternative Mirror Location.
    Hi Detule, I installed all update from scratch (task29, rhodimg.nbh, cwm_recovery) and installed your build with new ril and kernel update. All working great, only I have problem with light sensor..

Hey thanks for the feedback.

Couple of notes -> really not _my_ build. The credits should largely go to

Kernel: jonpry + wistilt2 for porting the latest kernels to haret, and of course ACL for all of his hard work on nand.

Userland: This is stock xdandroid userland -> many, many people have contributed, and of course a lot of credit goes to some excellent feedback/testing that has happened over the past few months - hats off to you folks.

Light sensor/Auto-backlight -> known issue, and not something that is immediately fixable. Here's a little background on why it doesn't work: These kernels are originally set-up to work in haret, where in order to enable auto-backlight we are able to toggle a specific function mode on the panel called LABC (Ligh sensor based Automatic Backlight Control). Think of this mode as hardware auto-backlight support. In short, there is internal circuitry in the panel itself that (in LABC mode) can both enable the light sensor, poll its values AND adjust the screen backlight without any interaction from the user at all. In fact we don't even see or report the light sensor values anywhere since it's all handled internally by the panel. Because we've been successful at doing this in haret, we've setup the userland support in GBX to match this -> when you check Auto-backlight in Settings->Display, the userland library in GBX does not try to poll a light sensor, in fact it completely stops trying to set the backlight of the panel and lets the panel adjust itself.

The alternative (this is how is done in .27 nand + omgb) is, when you check auto-backlight in settings->display, userland instructs the kernel to enable the light sensor, the kernel then polls the light sensor and reports values to userland on regular intervals, userland takes these values and matches them against a fixed table to decide what the panel backlight should be, and finally returns information to the kernel about the final panel backlight.

For some reason we are unable to toggle LABC on nand yet. Not sure if we ever will be which means we may have to go "poll the light sensor" route. This involves changes to both kernel AND userland and I personally would like to avoid if possible. So i think some effort should be made into trying to figure out what's wrong with enabling LABC on nand. At any rate, it's pretty remarkable that's the only outstanding issue, and I think we are close to merging the 3.x nand with haret trees.
    Logs are attached. I'm very hopeful that you can help. I'll be happy to get any information you need, or give you control over my phone with wifi, etc. Kernel mods I can handle, but RIL is outside my area of expertise.

Michael

It looks like the code in the RIL for automatic detection of CDMA vs GSM mode is getting confused when the GSM signal drops out, the reaction from the radio is the same as when the phone is operating in CDMA mode.

Probably this particular detection should only be done when the network type is set to GSM/CDMA Auto.

edit: I've pushed a patch for this to gitorious. Don't have a current build env any more, so I cannot provide a test binary here.
    Thank you very much! Perhaps detule is willing to make another release with this ril update and (if they didn't make them in, I never verified) the ACL battery changes?

I am travelling for the next three weeks, but I should be able to put together a patched RIL when I get back.

The haret vs. nand xdandroid RIL has a minor change - if someone wants to put a patched binary before then I could probably recall semi-coherently what it is.
    If you didn't experience any problems updating from 3.3.4 to 3.3.6 ignore this post.

To those of you who had a problem with wifi/data going from 3.3.4->3.3.6:

1. Reinstall gbx0c-ota
    2. Reinstall ril_update
    3. Reinstall (this is a new link):

Seems problem was somehow tied to a faulty re-write of the dmesg binary in the system partition (this is why some of you couldn't successfully revert to 3.3.4).

Thanks to milda25 for testing the solution, and for everyone who collected detailed logs.