install OTA update?

Search This thread

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
Hi all,

I am new here after retiring my broke dinc 1 and getting a replacement dinc2 from Asurion. I am still completely stock except for a hack on the phone to allow me to tether (no download was required).

My phone currently has software # 5.10605.9 and I was not able to run the s-off tool. I read there is an ICS OTA due soon so I thought I would just wait for that before going s-off or rooting. My only immediate need for root is so I can have Nandroid and Titanium backups. The sooner the better for that but I can wait for stock ICS before considering any custom ROMs.

I have an OTA update now that I have rejected. It says :
ADR6350_6.01.605.05-5.10.605.9

I assume this would upgrade me to 6.01.605.05 So should I let it install?

Thanks!

Triscuit

Jun 11, 2010
Bonita Springs, FL
If you want to root/s-off dont apply that update!! You loose the ability to until you downgrade the software again which is a pain in the ass. As for not being able to currently get s-off you're gonna have to wait for some other people here to help, they can help you troubleshoot the problem.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: marcmarshall

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
Thanks Triscuit,

That is what I suspected from looking around the forum. What confuses me is that I already could not run the Revolution s-off. If i don't have that latest firmware why can't I s-off now? Is it more a root issue?

sjpritch25

Jan 30, 2011
St. Petersburg
Each OTA is making s-off much more difficult. Honestly, I would downgrade your. 98hboot & s-off now. We have a very stable ICS sense 4 ROM.

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
Each OTA is making s-off much more difficult. Honestly, I would downgrade your. 98hboot & s-off now. We have a very stable ICS sense 4 ROM.

Thanks, I will take your advice. Just to be certain, the warnings about not downgrading due to bootloops is for those who have the 6.01.605.05 installed so I should be fine?

sjpritch25

Jan 30, 2011
St. Petersburg
That's not an issue anymore. It was in the beginning. But it was a problem that occurred after downgrading and s-off. So how knows if the ICS ota will be worse or even down-gradable.

zackspeed

Aug 28, 2010
Asheville, NC
Actually being on the newest firmware is still an issue. Once you have been on the most recent OTA you have to run the most recent radio to run any Sense rom. The 0312 radio really sucks and does not have near as good of reception as previous ones. Do as these guys have said S Off and root now. This way you dont have to worry about it and by all means dont take the ICS OTA when or if it ever comes. Im sure once its out it wont take long before we have a flashable version.

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
Actually being on the newest firmware is still an issue. Once you have been on the most recent OTA you have to run the most recent radio to run any Sense rom. The 0312 radio really sucks and does not have near as good of reception as previous ones. Do as these guys have said S Off and root now. This way you dont have to worry about it and by all means dont take the ICS OTA when or if it ever comes. Im sure once its out it wont take long before we have a flashable version.

Thanks Zack, that is what I will do. Haven't checked since I got the phone a month or 2 ago but what is the latest/recommended tool. I was planning on using Revolution for s-off based on what I saw before. There are usually multiple tools available for rooting.

BTW- love your neck of the woods. I lived in Blowing Rock for a short time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want to root/s-off dont apply that update!! You loose the ability to until you downgrade the software again which is a pain in the ass. As for not being able to currently get s-off you're gonna have to wait for some other people here to help, they can help you troubleshoot the problem.

You have to downgrade to 2.3.3 and hboot 97 first.

That's not an issue anymore. It was in the beginning. But it was a problem that occurred after downgrading and s-off. So how knows if the ICS ota will be worse or even down-gradable.