[HOW-TO] JellyBean - Media storage / Battery drain fix. [11/6/2012]

Search This thread

AJ26T

Jun 28, 2007
nj
When you installed CR 4.0 what items did you select? I think it may have to do with what apps are installed more then anything else.

Basically, install the bare minimum and see if you still have problems. Maybe it is something is getting installed in your process that is causing the problem.

I would leave off "adfree" for sure as well as anything else that effects media.

Launcher: only install one launcher(TW. If you want to add apex or Nova do it from the market after. I am using Nova but from the market.

Samsung Apps: left them all off.

You can always add on after you fix the issue.

Will try

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Newest jb synergy

Via my Google Galaxy S3 running magic beans

What % is your media at

galchristian

Jul 16, 2010
Miami Beach
netnucleus.com
Will try

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

What % is your media at

mine is at 2%
Here some snapshots (1% battery drain with 10 min screen on time screen is set to auto) keep in mind tho 1st percent of a hundred always takes a while. But I just charged my cell so that's the only screenshot I've got. I can put some up later tonight.
Screenshot_2012-11-06-14-49-08.jpg Screenshot_2012-11-06-14-49-11.jpg Screenshot_2012-11-06-14-49-27.jpg

Last edited:

TechBSwift

Jul 14, 2010
There is nothing you really can do. It's all per phone which is crazy but true. Currently I'm running Clean 4.0 with killdroidhacks 4.2gapps package, someone theme package (can't remember ) and right now my battery is 72% after 9 hours off the charger with the following breakdown

Screen 36% 1hr 37 minutes on screen time
Android System 16%
media Server 10%
Cell Standby 7%
Android OS 6%
Media 5%
Device Idel 5%
Music Player 4%

And some other small one.

Reactions: Mustang302LX

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
I'm telling you all, just let it go a few hours before freaking out and attempting to fix what's working normal

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352232340921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352232340921.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 943
Reactions: ajrty33 and AJ26T

galchristian

Jul 16, 2010
Miami Beach
netnucleus.com
I'm telling you all, just let it go a few hours before freaking out and attempting to fix what's working normal

I'm happy that worked for you. But I have to let you know that once it does that for over 24h and every-time I use my phone it gets hot and the battery doesn't even last me half as long as usual...that's a problem. But I'm happy you got lucky. One question tho: are you positive you didn't disable your media storage?

I had the same thought as you where I said I just let it sit for a few hours and even used a ROM for days like that. Just sad thing my media storage never dropped and the phone was even slightly warm when it was just sitting on my office desk for hours without usage.

MrBrady

Oct 26, 2010
11.Install your prefered Kernel optional (I personally chose Ktoosez 3.0.49 just because it gave me good battery life)

What settings are you using in KTweaker for Ktoosez 3.0.49 (Governor, Schedule, Voltages, etc)? I was getting freezes at the lockscreen, using CleanROM 4.0, but I only noticed it after flashing the l5 RPM.

reebok_I_3

Jan 26, 2009
Does anyone have a backup of the "media storage" and "downloads" I uninstalled the 2 and now I am having issues with gapps and my media from my sdcard is not showing up

Reactions: morrichad

galchristian

Jul 16, 2010
Miami Beach
netnucleus.com
What settings are you using in KTweaker for Ktoosez 3.0.49 (Governor, Schedule, Voltages, etc)? I was getting freezes at the lockscreen, using CleanROM 4.0, but I only noticed it after flashing the l5 RPM.

All stock settings besides that I have mine UC to 1458MHz that's all. Didn't touch anything else just found the device smooth enough. I don't have no specific reason to run it @ 1458 just do so to get a tiny bit more out of the device battery-vise. :) just make sure to enable to set the settings after boot. I have a 15sec gap setup in KTweake

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBrady

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
Ultimately I blame this issue on the leak and no little tips will work for everyone. I personally got sick of trying to figure it out and download Rescan Media (Root) from the Play Store and just disabled media scanner. Hopefully the official JB fixes this awful issue and if not hey maybe it's time to move on. *shrugs*

Reactions: Scott

galchristian

Jul 16, 2010
Miami Beach
netnucleus.com
Does anyone have a backup of the "media storage" and "downloads" I uninstalled the 2 and now I am having issues with gapps and my media from my sdcard is not showing up

give me a little time, I backup mine and upload it

Edit: Here you go. Place these in your Titanium Backup folder then back it up

It is Possibly a good idea to try on other devices to delete your media and downloads and restore mine. I wonder if that would work?!!

View attachment com.android.providers.downloads.ui-58e17aa18657f65a45d1b59b94be3e00.apk.gz

View attachment com.android.providers.downloads.ui-20121106-203213.tar.gz

View attachment com.android.providers.media-20121106-203235.tar.gz

View attachment com.android.providers.media-a5e85676b95d504e7c4e689f10f29512.apk.gz

Last edited:

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
I'm happy that worked for you. But I have to let you know that once it does that for over 24h and every-time I use my phone it gets hot and the battery doesn't even last me half as long as usual...that's a problem. But I'm happy you got lucky. One question tho: are you positive you didn't disable your media storage?

I had the same thought as you where I said I just let it sit for a few hours and even used a ROM for days like that. Just sad thing my media storage never dropped and the phone was even slightly warm when it was just sitting on my office desk for hours without usage.

That sucks, and I'm positive I did nothing. I'm wondering if people with the issue have unsupported our corrupt media on the sd card. It is normal for it to go a few hours after a wipe Rom install. But after that something is up if it don't stop.

Last edited:

reebok_I_3

Jan 26, 2009
Thank you so much! Where or how exactly do I get these files back to where they belong

ker2gsr

Oct 13, 2010
So far I think this fix worked for me I'll keep ya posted I need to run a full cycle from full charge to zero to be sure but preliminary trail looks good

galchristian

Jul 16, 2010
Miami Beach
netnucleus.com
Thank you so much! Where or how exactly do I get these files back to where they belong

Pretty simple. Find Titanum Backup on your internal storage and paste the files I have posted. Open up Titanium Backup and all the way on the bottom of the list you should see the files. Just recover them restart done. :)

So far I think this fix worked for me I'll keep ya posted I need to run a full cycle from full charge to zero to be sure but preliminary trail looks good

Am very happy to hear that.

AJ26T

Jun 28, 2007
nj
Pretty simple. Find Titanum Backup on your internal storage and paste the files I have posted. Open up Titanium Backup and all the way on the bottom of the list you should see the files. Just recover them restart done. :)

Am very happy to hear that.

i placed in titanium backup folder but when i launch app doesn't show them there all the way at the bottom

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
I have been running clean 4 since day one, and have better bat life than stock tw ics. Why are some having these media issues?

AJ26T

Jun 28, 2007
nj
confirm

I can confirm with letting phone sit there charging and battery saver mode on mine dropped from 34% down to 19 and would have kept going if i left it but restored a nandroid just cause
thanks for all the help

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
I have been running clean 4 since day one, and have better bat life than stock tw ics. Why are some having these media issues?

I suspect it may be certain media files. Do those having trouble have LOTS of media, video clips? Maybe lots of pictures? Movies of different formats? DivX, wmv, xvid,?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here is what I found by trying to stop battery drain caused by the media storage+heating etc. I Of course can't guarantee this working for everybody but I tried this with 2-different JellyBean ROM's twice and it worked all 4 times on my device :victory:

This will have a few Reboots so bare with me. (because I believe reboots make a difference) :p
    For all of you who have a JellyBean ROM already installed and have the battery drain skip to Step.8

1. Download your JellyBean ROM of choice
    2. Place on SD card
    3. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP of your current ROM
    4. Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache
    5. Select ROM of choice from the SD card (Most ROM's these days come with an Aroma-Installer so remember what you picked to be installed and what not.)
    6. Boot device
    7. Set up the phone and let it restore all apps. Set everything you will use (facebook, e-mail, flipboard etc) -then ReBoot
    8. I used TitaniumBackup and removed "Media Storage" and I also removed "Downloads 4.1.1"
    9. ReBoot into Recovery & wipe cache and dalvik cache
    10.Dirty-Flash your ROM of choice which you chose @ Step.5 and chose the same features if possible.
    11.Install your prefered Kernel optional (I personally chose Ktoosez 3.0.49 just because it gave me good battery life)
    12.Wipe cache and dalvik the last time and also fix permissions.

13.ReBoot the last time and enjoy!

Hope this was helpful and will work for most of you early JellyBean users. :fingers-crossed:
    I think I found the issue...

Well, after reading through countless forums and threads and posts etc etc etc I think I finally found the issue.

First of all, I did download the Rescan Media app, which disables the media scanner on boot, and that is a great workaround. But it just kept bugging me as to why this issue was occurring...

So I decided to finally try to copy off all of my data from my SD card and reformat. One thing I noticed was that the Clockworkmod backup folder, where the nandroid backups are stored, was very large and had a lot of files. Apparently, the older version of CWM nandroid backups put everything into a single large tar file, while the newer version puts everything into blobs as separate small files. The newer method reduces overall backup time and storage usage (across multiple backups) by using de-duplication.

The issue is that it leaves a LOT of files sitting on your SD card. I counted 18,000+ files on my SD card including the blob files! After I copied all of my files to my PC, I deleted the nandroid backups from my SD card and counted about 450 files remaining.

So I did a test: I re-enabled media scanner on boot using the Rescan Media app and rebooted. Using better battery stats, I noticed that the media scanner now runs for only about 2 minutes or so, versus the 10 to 15 minutes it used to run for with every boot. Also, from a cold boot with a freshly charged battery, if I wake the phone up after about 10 minutes after boot, it still reads 100%, whereas before it would read about 95%.

So it appears that the media scanner is not necessarily misbehaving... in fact, it's behaving exactly the way it was intended, which is to scan all the files on your SD card to look for any newly added media files. The problem is that with 18,000+ files to go through, it takes a while and uses CPU.

Did the algorithm change between ICS and JB? Maybe... so maybe there really is an issue. Who knows. But for those of you who are having this issue, check to see how many files you have on your SD card, and if you have a CWM backup that uses the blobs vs tar files, you might want to copy those off.

I think the next CWM backup I do will be in tar format. I don't do backups often enough to reap any benefits of using de-duplication, I pretty much only do a backup before flashing a new ROM and I usually delete older backups as well, and I don't flash that often...

EDIT: By the way, I never do a clean wipe between ROM flashes if they are similar. I went from stock ICS rooted to the I5 leak, to the J1 leak, to the new K1 leak, all without wiping data, only cache and dalvik. I think it's silly to wipe data all the time unless you are going to a completely different base, i.e. from touchwiz to AOSP, or vice versa. Neither Google nor Samsung nor any android manufacturer intends regular users to wipe all data with OTA updates, so why should we? Also, to be clear, I DID NOT end up reformatting my SD card, I left all the files there except for deleting the CWM backup files and blobs, and my problem is now gone without having to disable media scanner on boot.
    What if u use ROM that doesn't use aroma

So if I'm understanding right removing them after setup then restoring them by fifty flash fixes the issue they cause

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Then disregard the aroma part and just dirty flash I take it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Wow your fast! Thanks. And yes deleting then restoring basically. Seems odd but I tried 4x and it worked.
    My phone only dropped 7% battery in 9-hours being untouched (sleeping lol)
    so here's my experience for what it's worth...

i have been getting the media drain issue with every single tw based jb rom I've flashed. none of the so called fixes ever seemed to permanently fix the issue. Some of them would seem to work for a while, but they were all only temporary.

what I noticed is that it only seems to happen when I boot up my phone, then stop after about 5% of the battery is gone. The reason I know this is because I reboot my phone a lot. I have the official external charger and spare battery. I rarely plug my phone in. After the initial media scan, my phone sleeps like a baby and is ice cold when I reach for it. Also no media scanner wake locks according to better battery stats.

What I'm wondering is if the people who supposedly think they've fixed the issue (not including freezing media scanner) normally reboot their phone, or if they do, if they check for the media scan wake lock right after boot up? I suspect most people leave their phone on and charge as needed, so they may never see the media drain after the initial boot and "fix" if they never reboot?

maybe not, who knows...

Ultimately I blame this issue on the leak and no little tips will work for everyone. I personally got sick of trying to figure it out and download Rescan Media (Root) from the Play Store and just disabled media scanner. Hopefully the official JB fixes this awful issue and if not hey maybe it's time to move on. *shrugs*

Interesting... But makes sense... I'll explain in a second what my thoughts are...

No or clean SD card... Easy... Let me explain....

I have a ton of media (on my external sd card) from avi, mkv, flac, mp3/4, as well as 100's of pics synced from Picasa, etc.... The only time I get excessive media drain is when I first flash one of these JB roms. Even from the early jelly wiz leaks, it would happen for like the first day on the ROM, and settle down after a battery cycle. I would assume that a lot of people (not all) are just reacting to the issue too soon after flashing and not giving the ROM a chance to settle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    Bingo! It has to rebuild the database that is associated with the media files...

Takes time... Has to index videos and images, etc...

this is a well known bug with touchwiz leaked roms with no proper solution. This is why I am using AOSP roms such as CM 10, eclipse rom etc till the issue is sorted out. The battery life is great on AOSP roms.

Wont beat CleanROM ;)

(Granted I am a bit biased :cowboy: )