[A] Bootloop after flashing a ROM via 3.0.0.5 Recovery image.

Search This thread

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
Why would you flash 3.0.0.5 through ROM Manager, and then flash 3.0.0.6 manually? Why not go straight to 3.0.0.6?

three reasons. 1) i do not recommend using CWRM to flash permanent recovery images. I've see too many people on Cyangoen's web page have problems with just flashing it via CWRM. 2) He can do it with the Flash'd Script that True-blue made and by pass the ADB commands completely. Some people are unfamiliar with them 3) he can create a nandroid prior to upgrading in case something goes south.

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
three reasons. 1) i do not recommend using CWRM to flash permanent recovery images. I've see too many people on Cyangoen's web page have problems with just flashing it via CWRM. 2) He can do it with the Flash'd Script that True-blue made and by pass the ADB commands completely. Some people are unfamiliar with them 3) he can create a nandroid prior to upgrading in case something goes south.
I also don't recommend flashing recoveries through ROM Manager, but frankly doing through ADB commands isn't without risk either. I like to see people do it the best and safest way possible, and that's through fastboot. Of course he'd have to have the engineering SPL, but it's the method with the lowest failure rate.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the steps you suggested, it's just in my nature to go from point A to point B in the most direct way possible, so that's what I suggested.

LewsTherin006

Mar 13, 2011
Louisiana
im going to flash 3.0.0.5, then manual flash 3.0.0.6 using the terminal on my phone. I have done it before when i flashed a recovery on my OG droid back in the day. anndddd i will make a back up of my stock rom before i do anything. That should have all my bases covered. Sorry about the version confusion. I will post and update when i do it later tonight.

UPDATE

Well guys it worked, i flashed 3.0.0.5 using rom manger, then i flashed 3.0.0.6 using the terminal. The only thing that you have to do if you use the terminal is putting the flash_image (which you have to download as flash_image.zip and rename is by taking the .zip off. You have to do the renaming in your file manger (super manger is the one i used).) One you do that, flashing through the terminal will work. or you could use true bluez method. Whatever works.

Last edited:

nspusmc

Mar 28, 2011
I'm running CM7 RC4 with recovery 2.5.1.4. Will CM7 still run accordingly under 3.0.0.6? I can't remember.

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati

fcreeves

Apr 22, 2007
Back in NY
Soft Brick...Breath life again?

I got my hands on a MT4G That does not boot? Stuck @ The T-Mobile Logo Screen.

It does go into recovery v3.0.2.4 and gets the following msg:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open/cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open/cache/recovery/last_log

From the newest fix I get this return?

Code:
sending 'recovery' (3426 KB)... OKAY [  1.172s]
            writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: image update error)
finished. total time: 5.915s

Any hope for this MT4G?

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
Any hope for this MT4G?
That sounds like a bad eMMC, so it's essentially bricked. Do a search for "PD15IMG.zip". That should find a thread on potentially bringing the device back to life by restoring back to unrooted stock through the boatloader. There's no guarantee on that working, however.

eclipse90734

Nov 25, 2011
will it work if i used a much newer version of the recovery image i think i have the 5.0.3 do i follow the same process?, and the second method that you mention i try to install the ADB software but its missing the java jdk file which i did find but wont work on my windows xp since im running 32 bit and the file is running 62 bit.. any suggestions ? thank you very much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What you did .. .. ..

Okay so you've rooted your newly bought MyTouch4G, and you've made sure that s=off and you've flashed Clockwork ROM manager's recovery image that you got from the market. That is all the correct order. But when you flashed a ROM you got stuck in a bootloop.

Am i screwed???

Don't worry you are just in a "soft brick mode", or "limp mode" if you will.

What happened? Why is it doing this?
    The Image that you downloaded and installed 3.0.0.5 is for 2.3 (Gingerbread) based ROMs only. [n3rd note] these are ext4 style ROMS. They act and store information differently than 2.2 which are Ext3 ROMs[/n3rd note].

This could also be caused by trying to flash a 2.3 using a older 2.x.x.x version of the Recovery Image. Those will only support the Ext3 style ROMs, which are FroYo (2.2) based ROM.

Okay what do i need to do to fix it, there are two methods.

This is Method one it's the older version.

You must use this method if you do not have the engineering screen

If you are using the 3.0.0.5 Recovery image
    To fix your problem you need to flash any 2.3 based ROM, for time sake i will recommend Cyanogen(mod). Link to Cyanogen(mod)'s CM7RC4. While you are there you need to also store the G/Apps.

If you are using the 2.x.x.x Recovery Image
    To fix your problem you need to flash any 2.2 based ROM, for time sake i will recommend RoyalGlacier Thread can be found here

- Question: How do i find out what Recovery image i am using
    - Answer: Boot the phone into the recovery mode. We'll touch on that in a little bit

Now when you download both of those files you also need to store them to SDCard.
    NOTE: If you are using 2.x.x.x and going to flash RoyalGlacier you will not need the g/apps. They have included this in their ROM, and MAKE sure to follow their specific directions for installing the ROM.

- Question: Now how in the world i am going to do that since my phone is in bootloop.

Answer:
    Two ways one can do that
    1) use a SDcard reader and just plug the card into a main USB port.
    2) Mount the SDCard in the phone via the Recovery Image. *** i'd recommend this method since you are going to need to be in recovery anyway ***

Pull the battery from the phone an put it back in, then put the back on the phone. turn the phone on holding the power button along with the volume down rocker button. That will boot the phone into the HBoot (Engineering) Screen. From there you will see an option that says "recovery" [this is what i mentioned earlier, about the different versions] use the volume rocker to select it, then tap the power button to select it. The phone will reboot into what is called the recovery image. From there you will select "mount" then USB. That will mount the SDCard to the Computer.

If you are using the 3.0.0.5 Recovery image
    Once you have move Cyanogen(mod) and the g/apps to the SD card unmount the SDCard.

Then navigate to "wipe data/factory reset" you will want to wipe the phone. That will format everything to a fashion that can be written over w/o problems.

Then navigate to "install .zip from sdcard" > " choose .zip " > then flash the main Cyanogen(mod) ROM. Then do the same but flash the g/apps that you downloaded.

Once those are done you can re-boot the phone. That will boot you into cyanogen.

If you are using the 2.x.x.x Recovery image
    Please use the link i supplied above to get that ROM up and running once it is done, according to their instructions come back here.

Now i understand that may or may not want Cyanogen nor RoyalGlacier on your phone. Well take care of that

What can i do to prevent this from Happening again?

Once you are up and running (make sure to log into your Google Account) go to the market and download Clockwork ROM manager again, and re-flash the recovery image.

Once you are done with that i HIGHLY suggest upgrading to the newest 3.0.0.6 Recovery image. You can do that one of two ways.

one way is to flash True_Blues method for installing 3.0.0.6 recovery image. Use this thread..

This is the way that i would personally recommend.
    The second way is download the 3.0.0.6 recovery image, which i've attached and flash it via the ADB commands. If you want to do it this way you do not need to download Clockwork Rom Manager, you can "just flash it". If you need help with that, if you are using Windows or Mac, see my signature for True_Blue's method on EZ ADB. If you are using Unbutu 10.10 use this This Method to get ADB running. This is the method i used to ADB running on my Linux NetBook.
    Download the file that i've attached and store just the recovery image from the .zip to the SDCard, from the ADB commands type
    adb shell
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    More information on this process can be found here

That will flash the newest recovery image to your phone

Once you have installed the 3.0.0.6 ROM Manager you can wipe and flash ANY MyTouch4G ROM that you want. It will handle both 2.2 (ext3) and 2.3 (ext4) ROM formats.

This is the New Method - Which is a little easier.

AND YOU MUST HAVE THE ENGINEERING HBOOT
    Thanks to TeeJay for inspiring this.

I am going to assume that since you have the Engineering Screen you are more familiar with what you are doing so i'll be more to the point with this walk-through.

you will need to have ADB up and running for this method.

1) Download the attached file and store just the .img to your folder from which you preform all of your ADB commands

2) plug the phone into the computer

3) boot the phone into HBoot

4) from the ADB commands change the drive to the folder where you stored the recovery image.

5) type these commands
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

the screen should say something to the degree of
    Code:
    sending 'recovery' (3426 KB)... OKAY [  1.172s]
                writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.797s]
    finished. total time: 1.969s

6) then select "bootloader"
    7) navigate to "reboot recovery"
    8) flash your ROM of choice.
    9) enjoy your ROM of choice.

Please feel free to use this in your signature or link people back to. If you feel i made an error in this post please PM and i'll edit it accordingly.

If this thread has helped you solve your problem please hit the "thanks" button.

THE RECOVERY IMAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO THE NEWEST ONE.
    good summary. originally when i flashed cm7 I had to search a bit to come up with what you said above. one addition, CWM lets you mount sd storage to usb so you can copy files to sdcard (say the recovery image). then update CWM 3.0.0.6 with ADB.
    meaning?

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]