[Q] CWM before root

Search This thread

Duckone

Dec 30, 2013
Hi Dear all,

I am using wug's root toolkit to unlock bootloader, flash CWM and root my N5

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Hi Dear all,

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Thanks everyone

1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Backup solutions all in "How to unlock bootloader" sticky thread in general.

Duckone

Dec 30, 2013
1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Thanks for your kind reply, will try to process without root toolkit!:good:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London

2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?

No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Has anyone tried the adb backup on the Nexus 5? I imagine that'd work as a backup solution before unlocking. That or Helium

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
Hi Dear all,

Thanks everyone

Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

No you can't without first unlocking the bootloader.

Duckone

Dec 30, 2013
Finally, i tried. I have unlocked the bootloader, however, i try to flash the custom recovery CWM, it just start for once, and prompt me to root the device ( i reject). In my case, i trust i may not flash CWM without root.

But i got one more question, when i flash the CWM and it start for once, just like temp boot in CWM, may i try to make Nandroid backup on that boot?

Thanks

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Finally, i tried. I have unlocked the bootloader, however, i try to flash the custom recovery CWM, it just start for once, and prompt me to root the device ( i reject). In my case, i trust i may not flash CWM without root.

But i got one more question, when i flash the CWM and it start for once, just like temp boot in CWM, may i try to make Nandroid backup on that boot?

Thanks

As previously stated, recovery does not need root. In fact you need CWM recovery (or TWRP or Philz) to flash root anyway. CWM DOES have a built in root checker however, which is probably the message you're seeing. You do not need to root Android before you take a Nandroid via recovery.

Duckone

Dec 30, 2013
As previously stated, recovery does not need root. In fact you need CWM recovery (or TWRP or Philz) to flash root anyway. CWM DOES have a built in root checker however, which is probably the message you're seeing. You do not need to root Android before you take a Nandroid via recovery.

Sorry for my long questions...

I unlocked bootloader and try to flash CWM without root, and make a Nandroid backup already, but when i reboot and get in recovery, still getting in Stock recovery. So do you think the backup can be used, while i root my N5 and flash permanent CWM on my N5?

Sorry for my bad english again.

Thanks for all.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Sorry for my long questions...

I unlocked bootloader and try to flash CWM without root, and make a Nandroid backup already, but when i reboot and get in recovery, still getting in Stock recovery. So do you think the backup can be used, while i root my N5 and flash permanent CWM on my N5?

Sorry for my bad english again.

Thanks for all.

How did you flash recovery? Please give me exact steps.

Duckone

Dec 30, 2013
How did you flash recovery? Please give me exact steps.

Bootloader unlocked

Boot in bootloader
Cd path
Bootloader flash recovery recovery.img
Press reload bootloader
Press recovery mode
Cwm comes up first time, so can do whatever funtions they had
Once reboot from CWM, it states fix root yes or no, and ask me fix
I press no
That reboot back to the rom automatically

Once i try to reboot to recovery mode again, CWM gone, but still can load in stock recovery

That is my all procedure to flash CWM

Thanks

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Should be "fastboot flash recovery \path-to\recovery.img"

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Duckone

Dec 30, 2013
Afterward, i am trying to root and flash custom kernal (Elementalx).

If i wanna get back to stock kernal from elementalx (in case, OTA update), do i only need to flash stock kernal?

Because i am interesting with the sweep2wake option in Elementalx.

Thanks.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Some kernels flash scripts so its best to restore a nandroid probably.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

*kitten ;)