[TUT] How to change screen DPI *Root* [KK][CM][AOSP]

Search This thread

adamsmth663

Mar 6, 2012
Hi all

Heres something I always do to my roms to get more screen real estate, I havent really seen it mentioned on xperia forums so i thought i would show people how to do it.

Requirements
Root Access
Root Explorer or similar program which can edit build.prop
4.4+ rom (should also work on older roms, try it and see)

Procedure
find build.prop in root>system

then find the line that says lcd_density= 480

change it to 320 (others users have said 360 wroks well, try both and see what you like)

save and reboot

now your screen should look like:

2aipl06.jpg

2wlxcvp.png

*updated title
*Disclaimer: I have done this on all my xperia devices without any issue and found it to be a safe tweak to try, but as always if you do this, you do so at your own risk.

Last edited:

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010
screen resolution change

If anyone knows how to change the screen resolution and keep the touchscreen buttons lined up properly including the notification bar,

Would be really handy,

All the apps I tried on the playstore screw up the onscreen buttons alignment...

adamsmth663

Mar 6, 2012
cool tutorial, although you could change the title to 'how to change screen DPI density' because no screen resolution is changed here( still 1080x1920)

thats true

but i thought its changing resolution because you can fit more stuff on the same screen size

but anyway i can stand the normal 480, 320 all the way

Why So Serious?

Apr 28, 2012
London
thats true

but i thought its changing resolution because you can fit more stuff on the same screen size

but anyway i can stand the normal 480, 320 all the way

The resolution; number of pixels displayed will always remain the same as that is part of the display hardware. The Z1's resolution will always be 1080 x 1920 pixels.

You're changing the value that apps use to decide which resources to use. By lowering the density you're making apps such as the system UI think that it should use xhdpi resources instead of xxhdpi resources.

The xhdpi resources are all smaller in size... e.g an xxhdpi (1080p) icon is 144 x 144 pixels in size, whereas an xhdpi (720p) is 96 x 96 pixels in size. Therefore the xhdpi icon takes up less space on on the display and you can fit "more" icons within a 1080 x 1920 canvas.

Summary:

Resolution: Physical number of pixels that a display can produce. This never changes.

PPI: Pixels Per Inch. Again, this is a physical property of the display worked out using the following formula: PPI = No. of pixels in a horizontal or vertical line/the length of that line (inches). This is just maths and the value never changes.

DPI: Dots Per Inch. In this scenario, this is a virtual value that can be adjusted by the user to change the way that apps are displayed. By default it will loosely be in the same region as the PPI of a screen. Eg:

The 5 inch Xperia Z1 1080p screen has a PPI of 443. It's DPI by default is 480.
The 4.3 Xperia S 720p screen has a PPI of 342. It's DPI by default is 320.

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010
Does lowering the dpi improve graphics performance?

Also the resolution can be lowered, apps such as nomone resolution changer...

Last edited:

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
It seems to have a negative impact on other things... making stuff a bit too small... and if i increase it to say 400 DPI then stuff is totaly messed up :/

I wonder is there is a way to do that trough xposed Appsettings by not affecting anything else but the main DPI...

adamsmth663

Mar 6, 2012
It seems to have a negative impact on other things... making stuff a bit too small... and if i increase it to say 400 DPI then stuff is totaly messed up :/

I wonder is there is a way to do that trough xposed Appsettings by not affecting anything else but the main DPI...

go to display options and change text size.

320 with large text seems to suit me best

Reactions: babyboy3265

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
I decided to try 360, 380, 400 and 420. The 360 was perfect but the others were not good.

Just make backup, there was many bootloop or random restarting back in the Xperia S days.

DP changing could be cool but could cause problems and apps to FC, so... be careful...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all

Heres something I always do to my roms to get more screen real estate, I havent really seen it mentioned on xperia forums so i thought i would show people how to do it.

Requirements
    Root Access
    Root Explorer or similar program which can edit build.prop
    4.4+ rom (should also work on older roms, try it and see)

Procedure
    find build.prop in root>system

then find the line that says lcd_density= 480

change it to 320 (others users have said 360 wroks well, try both and see what you like)

save and reboot

now your screen should look like:

2aipl06.jpg

2wlxcvp.png

*updated title
    *Disclaimer: I have done this on all my xperia devices without any issue and found it to be a safe tweak to try, but as always if you do this, you do so at your own risk.
    cool tutorial, although you could change the title to 'how to change screen DPI density' because no screen resolution is changed here( still 1080x1920)

go to display options and change text size.

320 with large text seems to suit me best