4G Tethering over WiFi Speed Issues?

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Today, I finally tried a proxy server as part of my tethering testing and it seems to have finally unlocked the 4G tether speeds over WiFi. It's certainly not a perfect solution for all situations, but I thought I'd put something here in the general section where some Sense users would be more likely to run across it.

Could someone try this under Sense with 4G over WiFi and let me know if it improves your speeds? I went from being stuck at 0.4Mbps to getting the usual 4G speeds I normally see (anywhere from 2.2Mbps to 10Mbps)!

What you'll need to do is install filterproxy from the Android market (it's free). This will start a proxy server on your EVO. I believe the intended purpose of filterproxy is to block certain sites from your browser on your phone, but only if you browse using the proxy. filterproxy has a side effect allowing the phone to act as a proxy server for other devices that connect to it.

Once you've installed filterproxy, start tethering and connect your computer to the tether. Configure your browser's proxy settings to use your phone as a proxy. The method for changing your browser's proxy settings varies from browser to browser, but here are a few.

Internet Explorer 8:
Click on Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN settings
Check the box for Use a proxy server and enter the appropriate settings

Firefox:
Tools -> Options -> Network tab -> Settings
Select Manual proxy configuration and enter the address and port in the HTTP Proxy section
Check the box for Use this proxy server for all protocols

Chrome:
Click on the Customize tool icon in the upper right of Chrome and select Options from the menu
Click Under the Hood on the left
Click Change proxy settings
Click LAN settings

For the proxy address, you'll need to enter the IP address that your phone is using for its WiFi access point. In CM7 this should be 192.168.43.1. For Android Wireless Tether it can be changed, but by default it is 192.168.2.1 (I think). If you can't find it, open adb shell or terminal emulator and type 'netcfg'. At the bottom you should see something like this:
wl0.1 UP 192.168.43.1 255.255.255.0 0x00001043

The 192.168.43.1 is the address being used for the WiFi access point. The port for your proxy is the port that filterproxy is using. By default it is 8000, but you can change it within the filterproxy app.

NOTE: changing your proxy server settings may prevent your browser from connecting to the Internet whenever you're not tethering. You'll have to check or uncheck proxy boxes or try making different shortcuts like this.

Originally posted here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11580191&postcount=5319

Last edited:

dezel29

Jul 12, 2010
cincinnatti
hey very curious here about this...i get crap speeds when tethering my internet on 4G....like really crappy...i use wireless tether and easytether pro for wired share...i downloaded the app filter proxy...how do i work it ? i am completely confused as to how to set it up etc...if you could help me there i could help test this out...ty

edit: just to let u know ur awesome !!! i live in a 4G area but never got the speeds my phone did while tethering...using ur method i get watever 4G is putting out now...its awesome...anywhere from 3MB to 9MB down speeds...fantastic !!!!!

Last edited:

Strawboy

Mar 21, 2011
Salt Lake City
First off I just want to say, Dees_Troy, you are a freaking Champion! I've been looking around too long for this answer to my prayer! I tried it out your workaround and it worked immediately and it was way too easy! I'm using an Evo 4G and I'm on Fresh 3.5.0.1 (Sense Rom). My speeds were ~.5 MBPS. I just did a speed test (on my pc, not phone) and hit ~3MBPS and now I am streaming and surfing like a crazy person. Thank you so much for posting this workaround!

nashchelsy

Nov 10, 2010
I'm running 2.2 on my Evo 4G and this is what i got after doing this:
Before the fix via Speedtest.net:
DL: 66.1
UL: 117.8

After the fix:
DL: 323.9
UL: 85.6

originalmg

Jan 15, 2011
Wet Snatch
Cool Stuff

Hey this is great to know, I don't have 4g service in my area yet but it did seem to increase my tethering speed regardless. Also learned a little something about proxy settings :)

J

JoshuaD80

any idea how to do this on a Mac? i can't get it to work. :(

Staffman412

May 16, 2011
Can you be very specific for the non-computer/smart phone experts please? There is mention in this post and the original linked post about changing settings...I am not sure how to do that. Is it in the phone settings, the filerproxy settings or on the computer settings?

Sorry to be a newb...

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
Reactions: Staffman412

Staffman412

May 16, 2011
Nice thread...makes much more sense to me. i have 1 question...item #3 states, "open up terminal emulator..." I have no idea what that means...sorry.

Also, I understand (in theory about the rooting and bricking dangers of rooting a phone, and I am not sure I should do that...due to my obvious lack of skill. It seems like this does not require rooting your phone, or does it?

Thanks for your help (and patience).

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Nice thread...makes much more sense to me. i have 1 question...item #3 states, "open up terminal emulator..." I have no idea what that means...sorry.

Also, I understand (in theory about the rooting and bricking dangers of rooting a phone, and I am not sure I should do that...due to my obvious lack of skill. It seems like this does not require rooting your phone, or does it?

Thanks for your help (and patience).

Yes and no....to use filterproxy you don't need to be rooted. But you need to be rooted to use terminal emulator [app with root] along with wireless tether [tether without paying the sprint 30$/mo]

If you paid the fee, then you could bypass step 3. Rooting isn't hard if you use unrevoked. I can walk you through it, the whole process takes about 5 minutes, and you can unroot if you ever had to take your phone in for servicing.

Reactions: Staffman412

Staffman412

May 16, 2011
Thanks. My only concern is not understanding what I did to my phone and not being able to restore it if needed. You make is sound simple.

I guess what I need is the dummy's guide to how to get free wi-fi, with minimal risks. Is that possible?

Thanks again.

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks. My only concern is not understanding what I did to my phone and not being able to restore it if needed. You make is sound simple.

I guess what I need is the dummy's guide to how to get free wi-fi, with minimal risks. Is that possible?

Thanks again.

Sure thing. Shoot me a pm, so as we don't bloat this thread. I'd get you rooted and all set up with minimal risks and walk you through it.

Reactions: freditoj

dietpepsi13

May 20, 2011
when i open up terminal emulator and type in netcfg, it gives me a permission denied error. i've never used this program before, so it's probably something really simple but not sure. i have an evo, rooted, no custom roms. thanks

DP13

klarthur

Feb 5, 2011
when i open up terminal emulator and type in netcfg, it gives me a permission denied error. i've never used this program before, so it's probably something really simple but not sure. i have an evo, rooted, no custom roms. thanks

DP13

Try typing su before you type netcfg.... example: su netcfg

su means sudouser in linux language

Reactions: dietpepsi13

dietpepsi13

May 20, 2011
type is su first, now it gives me SU: Permission Denied. like i said im not familar with this at all or linux, but when i type in the SU NETCFG it gives it in all caps. is that the problem? it wont let me type lower case. any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

edit: my first line when i open up emulator is
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$

im uninstalling and reinstalling the proxy and emulator now just to try if that makes a difference. plus im a new member so need to wait 5 minutes between posts and edits so its a pain, lol.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today, I finally tried a proxy server as part of my tethering testing and it seems to have finally unlocked the 4G tether speeds over WiFi. It's certainly not a perfect solution for all situations, but I thought I'd put something here in the general section where some Sense users would be more likely to run across it.

Could someone try this under Sense with 4G over WiFi and let me know if it improves your speeds? I went from being stuck at 0.4Mbps to getting the usual 4G speeds I normally see (anywhere from 2.2Mbps to 10Mbps)!

What you'll need to do is install filterproxy from the Android market (it's free). This will start a proxy server on your EVO. I believe the intended purpose of filterproxy is to block certain sites from your browser on your phone, but only if you browse using the proxy. filterproxy has a side effect allowing the phone to act as a proxy server for other devices that connect to it.

Once you've installed filterproxy, start tethering and connect your computer to the tether. Configure your browser's proxy settings to use your phone as a proxy. The method for changing your browser's proxy settings varies from browser to browser, but here are a few.

Internet Explorer 8:
    Click on Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN settings

Firefox:
    Tools -> Options -> Network tab -> Settings
    Select Manual proxy configuration and enter the address and port in the HTTP Proxy section
    Check the box for Use this proxy server for all protocols

Chrome:
    Click on the Customize tool icon in the upper right of Chrome and select Options from the menu
    Click Under the Hood on the left
    Click Change proxy settings
    Click LAN settings

For the proxy address, you'll need to enter the IP address that your phone is using for its WiFi access point. In CM7 this should be 192.168.43.1. For Android Wireless Tether it can be changed, but by default it is 192.168.2.1 (I think). If you can't find it, open adb shell or terminal emulator and type 'netcfg'. At the bottom you should see something like this:
    wl0.1 UP 192.168.43.1 255.255.255.0 0x00001043

The 192.168.43.1 is the address being used for the WiFi access point. The port for your proxy is the port that filterproxy is using. By default it is 8000, but you can change it within the filterproxy app.

NOTE: changing your proxy server settings may prevent your browser from connecting to the Internet whenever you're not tethering. You'll have to check or uncheck proxy boxes or try making different shortcuts like this.

Originally posted here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11580191&postcount=5319
    Is there a way to do this on the PS3? I can tether and play Black Ops but wish it was a little faster.

You should be able to; when setting up the connection, select your hotspot, then navigate all the nitty gritty menus, using a proxy is one of the last options you come across,
    Wrong thread.

Thanked you though for your contribution.
    any idea how to do this on a Mac? i can't get it to work. :(

Get a PC. Easy Fix ;-)

Just messin with ya a little bit bro, but seriously.
    i dont know if this belongs here but im kinda new to this forum. did you see that sprint is to start charging for data after 5gb. they say its for hotspot "paying" customers. will that affect anyone else? thanks

That would only really apply to you if you 'officially' use the sprint hotspot, i.e., pay the 30$/mo fee to use tethering. If you use a rom with the hack in it, you're fine.