[Q] Can an unlocked Pantech Discover (AT&T brand) use 4G lte data on another service?

Search This thread

digi2600

Jan 30, 2014
[Q] Can an unlocked Pantech Discover (AT&T brand) use 4G lte data on another service?

Can an unlocked Pantech Discover (AT&T brand) use 4G lte data on another service? I know it has the correct network ability (LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100) to work at 4G lte speeds on AT&T network, but I want to know if it will work while unlocked on T Mobile (that has the same requirements). The network abilities are confirmed compatible, and is not the question, will it reach the same speed even though it is not made for the carrier (T mobile in this case). I would love to find out before I spend the money to buy it brand new and unlocked, only to see if it will work or not. And if not, I have wasted the money. I have heard that this will not work, or might now that things have changed (No real help, and makes my more cautious).

Reading everything on the internet I can find. So far I've found the conflicting answers that:
1) As long as it has the network ability, then yes.
2) No unlocked phone will reach above EDGE speeds on another carrier. (May by very outdated, but can't confirm)
3) That might not be correct, unlocked phones will not, normally, work correctly on other networks.
4) It works 100%
5) It can only reach 3G

After several calls I've found out:
1) T mobile says:
a) Should work.
b) No idea.
c) Since it has the network ability to use 4G lte with our network, it should, but I don't know.
2) Pantech
a) Just try it.
b) I think so, but I don't know.
3) AT&T (the phone is made for and sold by them)
a) Unlocking will not limit the phone.

Is "No unlocked phone will reach above EDGE speeds on another carrier" just a myth now since "Things has changed" (what ever that means)?

Iranai

Mar 24, 2012
Can an unlocked Pantech Discover (AT&T brand) use 4G lte data on another service? I know it has the correct network ability (LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100) to work at 4G lte speeds on AT&T network, but I want to know if it will work while unlocked on T Mobile (that has the same requirements). The network abilities are confirmed compatible, and is not the question, will it reach the same speed even though it is not made for the carrier (T mobile in this case). I would love to find out before I spend the money to buy it brand new and unlocked, only to see if it will work or not. And if not, I have wasted the money. I have heard that this will not work, or might now that things have changed (No real help, and makes my more cautious).

Reading everything on the internet I can find. So far I've found the conflicting answers that:
2) No unlocked phone will reach above EDGE speeds on another carrier. (May by very outdated, but can't confirm)
3) That might not be correct, unlocked phones will not, normally, work correctly on other networks.
4) It works 100%
5) It can only reach 3G

1) T mobile says:
a) Should work.
b) No idea.
c) Since it has the network ability to use 4G lte with our network, it should, but I don't know.
2) Pantech
a) Just try it.

Is "No unlocked phone will reach above EDGE speeds on another carrier" just a myth now since "Things has changed" (what ever that means)?

T-Mobile has different LTE speeds depending on the area you live. In southern California T-Mobile's LTE is a little faster than ATT. Since both are GSM you will definitely have 3G, if on that phone HSPA+, but not sure on LTE. I was thinking that ATT and TMobile had LTE on different frequencies as they do not use the same towers etc.

Reactions: digi2600

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4) It works 100%
    5) It can only reach 3G

1) T mobile says:
    a) Should work.
    b) No idea.
    2) Pantech
    a) Just try it.

T-Mobile has different LTE speeds depending on the area you live. In southern California T-Mobile's LTE is a little faster than ATT. Since both are GSM you will definitely have 3G, if on that phone HSPA+, but not sure on LTE. I was thinking that ATT and TMobile had LTE on different frequencies as they do not use the same towers etc.