Throttled...solved!!!!

Search This thread

rwc3b

Apr 6, 2011
NYC
This top 5% throttling thing is rubbish and arbitrary. If this continues every month by slowing down the top users every month the throttling threshold point would eventually decrease to zero

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

jim93

Oct 18, 2011
This top 5% throttling thing is rubbish and arbitrary. If this continues every month by slowing down the top users every month the throttling threshold point would eventually decrease to zero

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

This makes no sense. The top 5% never becomes more than the top 5%. By definition it will not affect 95% of users.

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
Just wondering, is there any fix for this or is this a permanent throttle now? I mean I used both 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 Roms and I am still getting throttled. Is anyone having this issue? :confused:

I don't know..its still works for me. Weird that its working for some and not others. I wonder if switching the APN before you actually get throttled is the trick for these folks. I would try that on your next billing cycle...right before you hit 5gb switch the APN.

latinohot

I don't know..its still works for me. Weird that its working for some and not others. I wonder if switching the APN before you actually get throttled is the trick for these folks. I would try that on your next billing cycle...right before you hit 5gb switch the APN.

That's what i posted a while back, I constansly change apn
specially when I know I'm reaching the 5GB on LTE.
and after I reached 5GB on any apn I swithc back and forth.
I don't know if it actually does anything or it might just be a sweet sugar pill effect

Steve Jobs®

Mar 19, 2012
Cupertino, CA
apple.com
I was wondering for those who arent throttled, which rom and baseband are you using? I am on the following:

UCLA3 [silverwrx03] baseband
NexusMod 4 rom
2.3.6 base [at&t] w/ network mode enabled

If we cant get any answers for this issue, I will be selling my Skyrocket. Any offers? It is in Mint Condition, been in a Case-Mate case the whole time, no scratches whatsoever. Oh yeah its [black] phone. PM me with offers if interested.

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
I was wondering for those who arent throttled, which rom and baseband are you using? I am on the following:

UCLA3 [silverwrx03] baseband
NexusMod 4 rom
2.3.6 base [at&t] w/ network mode enabled

If we cant get any answers for this issue, I will be selling my Skyrocket. Any offers? It is in Mint Condition, been in a Case-Mate case the whole time, no scratches whatsoever. Oh yeah its [black] phone. PM me with offers if interested.

I'm using Skyrocketeer. 2.3.5 base at&t.

yoyochuckd

Sep 17, 2011
You guys still talking bout this bull****. Avg 20-70g month. Never throttled. Att throttles @ 5.1g as I'm sure you all know
Switching apns helps a lot. Also call att tell em your internet not working they e register u on network. Resets it all Viola!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

ManImCool

Nov 26, 2007
You guys still talking bout this bull****. Avg 20-70g month. Never throttled. Att throttles @ 5.1g as I'm sure you all know
Switching apns helps a lot. Also call att tell em your internet not working they e register u on network. Resets it all Viola!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

Can anyone confirm this works? Talk to a regular CSR or someone in the special throttling department? Just say my bla bla and my bla bla don't work anymore, can you please reset the "????" ? And they do?

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
Anyone know if the throttle bypass still works with ICS. (For those of us that it actually still works for)

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
I can't believe I read this entire thread today LOL

I only got throttled once back in December when I bought my SR and ever since I still use about the same amount of data if not more some months later and I never even received a warning text from them. I know for sure I definitely racked up more than 5G of data traveling and letting my sister use my phone to tether for internet and watching movies on netflix on her laptop for the 900 mile trip. I honestly think AT&T's overall plan is simply to frustrate people to the point of getting sucked into tiered plans to get them screwed in the long run. I even remember speaking to a CSR and they even disclosed to me that towers are programmed to force your phone to use up data which is when I was in Canada on Rogers network for 15 minutes and racked up about $100 worth of data that I never initiated. Those of you who claim "how can you use so much data?" clearly never been connected to LTE network and would know that 5GB of data could easily be consumed in a hour or two without even thinking about it. Even if you weren't a "data hog" it could be done throughout the course of a few days and then what? Those who don't have the luxury of being camped out in a wi-fi hotspot or wireless network and only have a phone to entertain themselves must be punished because they were sold a phone that is capable of going through the internet at speeds that rival most home broadband networks with an "unlimited" data plan on "the nation's fastest 4gLTE network" have to settle for this slap in the face? Network congestion hasn't been anything more than a ploy to lure many of us on our "unlimited" data plans out to be hung out to dry every month on a tiered plan with no recourse. I live in NY and I'm in LTE network range constantly so to have that blazing fast connection to then be subject to windows 95 days of data connection is bogus. And on AT&T's part for not being at the very least man enough to say they wronged people is also pathetic. As if they couldn't give their customers enough credit to figure this line of **** they're feeding us with the "network congestion" so we will target the group of people who have done nothing differently other than use the phones sold to them (at which AT&T gladly took our money for and said here choose a data plan for it) and now all of a sudden it's an issue? Hmmmmm Oh so I'm a top 5% data user but the guy who's in a tiered plan using 2.5 GB of data somehow falls into another category? Yeah makes sense I see why he doesn't get throttled but used more data then me cause I'm the "data hog" right? Assholes.

***END TRANSMISSION***

Last edited:

upyouratrix

Mar 3, 2011
Not to bring this topic back up again, but I'm pretty ticked that this month I didn't even receive a text warning me that I was approaching 5Gb. I'm at work this morning, streaming music like I typically do and noticed how slow Google music was loading. Ran a speed test and sure enough 0.5 up and down on LTE. Im so sick of having to deal with this every month. I still have 11 more days in my billing cycle :( This sucks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

upyouratrix

Mar 3, 2011
Well I called and complained that I didn't get a warning about being throttled and they applied a $25 credit for my inconvenience. It was nice to actually receive good customer service. I'm sure flashing roms might have had to do with me not getting a warning.

Sheolrock

Nov 21, 2011
Well I called and complained that I didn't get a warning about being throttled and they applied a $25 credit for my inconvenience. It was nice to actually receive good customer service. I'm sure flashing roms might have had to do with me not getting a warning.

I'm curious if that throttled speed you are at is able to stream talk radio from tunein radio? If it can then I don't really care if I get throttled.

That would also illustrate why throttling is dumb: one would be able to take up network resources 24/7/365. That would likely cause far more damage to the network than someone using 30 GB but in bursts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

khisynth

Nov 23, 2011
I'm at roughly 8g and capped at the moment but it looks like att changed the way they cap the data. I'm capped at 600k down versus the 100k I was in January. Can still stream Google music just fine and Netflix is even doable.

If they keep it like this I'll not complain.

Sheolrock

Nov 21, 2011
I'm at roughly 8g and capped at the moment but it looks like att changed the way they cap the data. I'm capped at 600k down versus the 100k I was in January. Can still stream Google music just fine and Netflix is even doable.

If they keep it like this I'll not complain.

That makes me a little less scared to get throttled.

shoobiedoobiiwhompwop

Feb 5, 2012
I'm lost about this throttling honestly I thought they just kept charging you $10 per gig after you go past your monthly plan set amount ..

so they charge you and they cut the speed drastically ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow...just got hit with the Throttle. I've only used 6 gigs (had iphone before) this billing cycle and my brand new LTE Skyrocket (which was getting around 58mbps in Tyson's Corner) is now getting about 100kbps. This is some straight BS. My contract is only a week old, so thinking of returning this phone and switching. Whats the point of having unlimited if you can't use it.

Edit:

This is what has been working for me to "bypass" the throttle. It at least gets me HSPA+ speeds.

I'm using the Rocketeer ROM and I changed the APN and also forced the Network Mode to GSM/HSPA (Auto Mode)

a69377c9-ff26-ef45.jpg

a69377c9-ff35-aea3.jpg

The APN settings are:

Name: HSPA+ ATT
    APN: Phone
    APN Type: Internet

All other settings are default. I also am NOT on 2.3.6 and noticed when I updated the APN didn't work anymore, so I went back.

I also have the WAP Cingular built and have working MMS.

Name: ATT WAP
    APN: wap.cingular
    proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    mms port: 80
    mcc: 310
    mnc: 410
    apn type: mms
    Ugh that sucks man, they should really relax those rules for us LTE users. Why give customers all that bandwidth only to keep the same rules as their slow 3G network? Doesn't make much sense to me

tumblr_kxzvfhlbin1qa9armo1_500.jpg

Overage fees are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

U.S.A.%20-%20Sprint.gif
    ;)
    I'm not using 20 gigs a month. I did 18GB once out of anger like everyone else did by trying to push up the 5%, but my normal usage is around 4-6GB. That's cutting it real close. I don't want to be near the end of a billing cycle and then worry about usage and not watch that one hockey game or not watch a couple youtube cliips or stream some songs because I might be worried of getting to the limit. You guys sound like ATT reps, being all excited by this 5GB like all of a sudden ATT is our friend. I'm shocked it was that easy to get people from being pissed off to being very content with the same company. There should be more mad people. Sure, I'll admit I'm glad it's a small baby step in the right direction, but there's a long way to go to make long time loyal customers happy.

Does anyone know what exactly happens once the LTE user hits 5GB? Is it back to EDGE for the remainder of the cycle, or is there slightly higher throttle speeds as some people have claimed?
    WOW that's cool. I might just try that. Can you tell us more about that conversation and what they told you they were going to do with your account.

I asked to speak to a manager after I was getting nowhere with the cr that answer first, I asked if they could please review my past data usage, and the manager agreed, after about a 45 minute wait, he came back and said that he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and he was gonna make a note to my account advising throttle on or after 25GB to 35GB, I told him that I thanked him for taking the time to actually look at my account, I reminded him that I had been with AT&T since 1997(when they were at&t wireless) and that I was a happy costumer, 'till that ridiculous speed limit..
    So long story short, going on 26GB and still no throttle;)
    They still have unlim data. Everyone keeps crying cuz speeds are low. Att is giving other options. You dont want other options then too bad for you. Suffer! They decide the top 5 by market thats y someone in cali might get throttled at 10gigs but someone in penn might be throttled at 3. The numbers dont mean ****. Att never changed contract. You guys are just finding new ways to complain. If speed means so much to you then change your damn apn and stop crying

Could you please just shut the F up. We got your point already. I'm trying to weed through these threads for a solution and all I'm reading is your numerous HIGHLY SIMILAR answers.
    Thank you points if people stop repeating themselves.