[Q] Help SOFT BRICK bad build prop

Search This thread

christiam.coronado

Jan 11, 2009
Santa Ana (OC)
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING

Hey fellow LG Owner(s) I am writing this asking for some help. I know that majority of LG Phones use the same software and flashing tools regarding taking your phone back to stock. I currently own an LG G Flex (LS995 Sprint Variant) and I managed to soft brick my phone. I have posted this same message over at the LG G Flex Threads but so far I have gotten no one to provide me some sort of solution on how to un-brick or factory reset my phone.

The status of my phone before it got bricked was it had Root (IOROOT method), Busy-Box (by Jrummy), Build.Prop was edited to display as a Nexus 5, and boot-loader locked along with no custom recovery. If you’re wondering why my boot-loader was locked and why there wasn’t any type of custom recovery was due to the sad fact that Developers are having a hard time on cracking it.

Now to explain on how I soft bricked my phone. I was changing my font style by using a tool called ROM Toolbox (by Jrummy). I managed to change my font once and I attempted to change it a second time, since I was looking for something that displayed it wider and bolder. So as I applied install on the new font I got an automatic reboot.

The reboot consisted of the normal LG Logo display, followed by a black screen and staying as a black screen. On the upper left of my phone the notification indicator was flashing multiple colors (red, white, blue etc). This is the current state of my phone, black screen with a multicolor notification.

My attempts to fix:
- Simple reboot of the phone ((fail))
- Let the phones battery drain out then charge for a few minutes and restart ((fail))
- Managed to get into STOCK recovery and perform clean partition ((fail)
- Managed to get into STOCK recovery and apply factory reset ((fail))
- I got into some weird mode which also gave me the option to apply factory reset ((fail))
- I followed this tutorial (LG Flash Tool) on how to revert back to stock (by hyelton) ((fail))
Link to tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2644083

The tutorial by hyelton was almost successful to reverting back to stock firmware until I got to the last step (Number 6). The error that occurred by using the LG Flash Tool was when the tool attempted to flash the stock firmware it gave me a Download FAIL!! “Device Model is different“ notification (Images below). I did this tutorial at least seven times and I got no luck. Every single time that I attempted to do this I kept getting the same notification. I have now ran out if ideas on what to do.

My theory, I believe that by changing my build prop to display as a nexus 5 is the reason why I keep getting this fail notification. On the phone it-self when I put it into download mode it even displays as a Nexus 5 (Images below).

I was wondering since it’s possible to get into STOCK RECOVERY, I saw that it had an option for “ADB SIDELOAD” is it possible to push something thru ADB??? Any type of help is greatly appreciated and thanked. Please do not get upset that you see this in multiple LG threads, I am just trying to find a solution to UNBRICK this very expensive phone that I bought and I cannot afford to just use it as a paper weight. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

Here is a Link to all my files regarding STOCK tot,dll,lg flash tools,aboot, buildprop, lg usb drivers and adb drivers that are for my phone

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1D8UNLjuTB6TWpCQ1pJME5qWk0&usp=sharing

i hope these files help anyone that are attempting to help me put my phone back to stock :)

Alright yall, I am almost official screwed. I purchased this phone about a month ago from Best Buy and they stated that I am out of there 15 day window so I cannot exchange or replace for the same phone. I then went to Sprint on whom I have phone insurance for and they stated that they cannot do anything and that I have to go to one of their Sprint repair stores. I went to one of the repair stores and the gentlemen that assisted me plugged my phone to his computer and immediately knew that my phone was rooted. So from there I played the dumb blonde card acting like I don’t know what he’s talking about and from there he directed me to call LG and see what they can do. So now the current status is I filed a repair request and now I am awaiting a reply from LG. Does anyone have any suggestion???

**SOLUTION** hey yall i got the solution to my problem and it was simply by downloading this universal custom .dll from

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2663369

and i managed to flash back to stock recovery using this guide. instead using the dll on the the guide i used the custom one.
*GUIDE BACK TO STOCK*

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2644083

Attachments

• DSC01108.jpg
    DSC01108.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC01110.jpg
    DSC01110.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 379
  • lgtool.png
    lgtool.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 373
  • lgtool2.png
    lgtool2.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Reactions: decao15

jmacphee9

Jun 25, 2013
edit: sorry missed that, but if you have access to download mode, the flash tool should work i would think..try it again maybe and make sure you didnt miss anything.

i would try following this guide, make sure you use the g flex .tot and .dll though. copied from the lg g2 back to stock guide from hyelton

RETURN TO STOCK TOT Method! AT&T & Sprint Verzion & The Few International TOTs I have available
Download
1. LGFlashTools v1.8 - Download
2. Drivers - Download
3. Download Both Stock Image File and DLL (Both Files) - Download
Credit to @madmack for making most of this Guide for the G Pro Which also works on our G2

3.1 - FOR SPRINT FIRMWARE - Click Here
3.2 FOR International KITKAT TOT`s Click Here

Install
1. Install the LG drivers downloaded above.
2. Install LGFlashTools v1.6 (but don't run it)
3. Extract the TOT file from the ZIP

Drivers initialization
1. Put the phone into download mode. (Turn off device PRESS VOL UP while plugging in the micro usb cable. If this doesn't work, try holding both volume keys instead)
2. Let the phone initialize and install the drivers. Once done, in Device manager, you should see the LG phone listed under COM ports (something along these lines).
3. Find that LG entry in Device Manager, click on Properties, Advanced and then change the COM port to COM41 and close/save.
4. Unplug your phone! Important step.

LGFlashTools
To get this tool to work, you'll need to do a few tricks.
1. Set the computer's date to some time in July 2012 or before.
2. Disconnect the internet
3. Find a serial number or register key from somewhere on the web (a google search for lgflashtools serial will yield some results). Can't help you here and please don't share any keys in this thread or get us in trouble.
4. Execute the LGFlashTools. It should ask you for a key, put it in. Now you should see a dialog where you can load the DLL file and the TOT files that you extracted earlier. Put them both in here. Click ok

Flashing
5. There is a yellow arrow on the top left. Click on it to initialize the process. Once done, it should say "ready/finished" or whatever.
6. Put the phone in download mode again, and plug it into the USB port. LG FLash Tools should start flashing it automatically. When it's done, it'll automatically reboot into your stock AT&T rom and all of your data and internal sdcard files are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: christiam.coronado

christiam.coronado

Jan 11, 2009
Santa Ana (OC)
edit: sorry missed that, but if you have access to download mode, the flash tool should work i would think..try it again maybe and make sure you didnt miss anything.

i would try following this guide, make sure you use the g flex .tot and .dll though. copied from the lg g2 back to stock guide from hyelton

i have followed that guideline but when i go into download mode the phone displays as a nexus 5 instead of lg g flex and from there the lg flash tool fails to flash anything because it displays different model. remember my build prop was edited to display as a nexus 5

Cronic2009

May 13, 2012
just a quick thought here, I had kind of the same problem on my G2 LS980 ( it thought it was a model 801) and to get around the error I used the correct .dll for my model phone but renamed it to the reported models .dll name, this should get the LG Tool past that check .dll error,
so for your case, you will need to find the Nexus .dll to get the name of it, then you will make a copy of your LG Flex .dll and rename that copy to the name of the nexus .dll, then when you manually load the .dll into LG Flash Tool use the renamed .dll, hope this helps you out, best of luck!

Last edited:

christiam.coronado

Jan 11, 2009
Santa Ana (OC)
Alright yall, I am almost official screwed. I purchased this phone about a month ago from Best Buy and they stated that I am out of there 15 day window so I cannot exchange or replace for the same phone. I then went to Sprint on whom I have phone insurance for and they stated that they cannot do anything and that I have to go to one of their Sprint repair stores. I went to one of the repair stores and the gentlemen that assisted me plugged my phone to his computer and immediately knew that my phone was rooted. So from there I played the dumb blonde card acting like I don’t know what he’s talking about and from there he directed me to call LG and see what they can do. So now the current status is I filed a repair request and now I am awaiting a reply from LG. Does anyone have any suggestion???

st3wart

Feb 14, 2009
Philadelphia
HTC Leo
HTC One X+
Hey christiam.coronado any luck on fixing this yet? I have the same problem as you do. Someone edited the build.prob before selling me the phone and when i went to factory reset it without knowing it was rooted and build.prob was messed with now my lg g flex ls995 thinks its a d959at whatever that may be

aceperry

May 30, 2013
**SOLUTION** hey yall i got the solution to my problem and it was simply by downloading this universal custom .dll from

and i managed to flash back to stock recovery using this guide. instead using the dll on the the guide i used the custom one.
*GUIDE BACK TO STOCK*

I have the same problem, but none of the download links work. Anyone have the files that christiam.coronado linked?

arregnelle

Nov 28, 2015
bad build.prop

can i use zv5 tot if im on zv6? i cant find a vz6 tot anywhere. can someone upload it please. im frustrated i messed up my phone for messing with the build.prop tryimg to unlock it. sigh...

Last edited:

RawSlugs

Oct 12, 2014
Essential Phone
OnePlus 8T

Hey fellow LG Owner(s) I am writing this asking for some help. I know that majority of LG Phones use the same software and flashing tools regarding taking your phone back to stock. I currently own an LG G Flex (LS995 Sprint Variant) and I managed to soft brick my phone. I have posted this same message over at the LG G Flex Threads but so far I have gotten no one to provide me some sort of solution on how to un-brick or factory reset my phone.

The status of my phone before it got bricked was it had Root (IOROOT method), Busy-Box (by Jrummy), Build.Prop was edited to display as a Nexus 5, and boot-loader locked along with no custom recovery. If you’re wondering why my boot-loader was locked and why there wasn’t any type of custom recovery was due to the sad fact that Developers are having a hard time on cracking it.

Now to explain on how I soft bricked my phone. I was changing my font style by using a tool called ROM Toolbox (by Jrummy). I managed to change my font once and I attempted to change it a second time, since I was looking for something that displayed it wider and bolder. So as I applied install on the new font I got an automatic reboot.

The reboot consisted of the normal LG Logo display, followed by a black screen and staying as a black screen. On the upper left of my phone the notification indicator was flashing multiple colors (red, white, blue etc). This is the current state of my phone, black screen with a multicolor notification.

My attempts to fix:
-Simple reboot of the phone ((fail))
-Let the phones battery drain out then charge for a few minutes and restart ((fail))
-Managed to get into STOCK recovery and perform clean partition ((fail)
-Managed to get into STOCK recovery and apply factory reset ((fail))
-I got into some weird mode which also gave me the option to apply factory reset ((fail))
-I followed this tutorial (LG Flash Tool) on how to revert back to stock (by hyelton) ((fail))

The tutorial by hyelton was almost successful to reverting back to stock firmware until I got to the last step (Number 6). The error that occurred by using the LG Flash Tool was when the tool attempted to flash the stock firmware it gave me a Download FAIL!! “Device Model is different“ notification (Images below). I did this tutorial at least seven times and I got no luck. Every single time that I attempted to do this I kept getting the same notification. I have now ran out if ideas on what to do.

My theory, I believe that by changing my build prop to display as a nexus 5 is the reason why I keep getting this fail notification. On the phone it-self when I put it into download mode it even displays as a Nexus 5 (Images below).

I was wondering since it’s possible to get into STOCK RECOVERY, I saw that it had an option for “ADB SIDELOAD” is it possible to push something thru ADB??? Any type of help is greatly appreciated and thanked. Please do not get upset that you see this in multiple LG threads, I am just trying to find a solution to UNBRICK this very expensive phone that I bought and I cannot afford to just use it as a paper weight. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

Here is a Link to all my files regarding STOCK tot,dll,lg flash tools,aboot, buildprop, lg usb drivers and adb drivers that are for my phone

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1D8UNLjuTB6TWpCQ1pJME5qWk0&usp=sharing

i hope these files help anyone that are attempting to help me put my phone back to stock :)

*GUIDE BACK TO STOCK*

Help lg flash tool not working

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My attempts to fix:
    - Simple reboot of the phone ((fail))
    - Let the phones battery drain out then charge for a few minutes and restart ((fail))
    - Managed to get into STOCK recovery and perform clean partition ((fail)
    - Managed to get into STOCK recovery and apply factory reset ((fail))
    - I got into some weird mode which also gave me the option to apply factory reset ((fail))
    - I followed this tutorial (LG Flash Tool) on how to revert back to stock (by hyelton) ((fail))

*GUIDE BACK TO STOCK*

RETURN TO STOCK TOT Method! AT&T & Sprint Verzion & The Few International TOTs I have available
    Download
    1. LGFlashTools v1.8 - Download
    2. Drivers - Download
    3. Download Both Stock Image File and DLL (Both Files) - Download
    Credit to @madmack for making most of this Guide for the G Pro Which also works on our G2

3.1 - FOR SPRINT FIRMWARE - Click Here
    3.2 FOR International KITKAT TOT`s Click Here

Install
    1. Install the LG drivers downloaded above.
    2. Install LGFlashTools v1.6 (but don't run it)
    3. Extract the TOT file from the ZIP

Drivers initialization
    1. Put the phone into download mode. (Turn off device PRESS VOL UP while plugging in the micro usb cable. If this doesn't work, try holding both volume keys instead)
    2. Let the phone initialize and install the drivers. Once done, in Device manager, you should see the LG phone listed under COM ports (something along these lines).
    3. Find that LG entry in Device Manager, click on Properties, Advanced and then change the COM port to COM41 and close/save.
    4. Unplug your phone! Important step.

LGFlashTools
    To get this tool to work, you'll need to do a few tricks.
    1. Set the computer's date to some time in July 2012 or before.
    2. Disconnect the internet
    3. Find a serial number or register key from somewhere on the web (a google search for lgflashtools serial will yield some results). Can't help you here and please don't share any keys in this thread or get us in trouble.
    4. Execute the LGFlashTools. It should ask you for a key, put it in. Now you should see a dialog where you can load the DLL file and the TOT files that you extracted earlier. Put them both in here. Click ok

Flashing
    5. There is a yellow arrow on the top left. Click on it to initialize the process. Once done, it should say "ready/finished" or whatever.
    6. Put the phone in download mode again, and plug it into the USB port. LG FLash Tools should start flashing it automatically. When it's done, it'll automatically reboot into your stock AT&T rom and all of your data and internal sdcard files are gone.
    Does ADB come up on the normal boot? If so maybe you can remount system and force replace build.prop...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    SOLUTION

*GUIDE BACK TO STOCK*