[Q] Downloaded 4.4.3 but not installed

Search This thread

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I got the 4.4.3 update notification and downloaded it. When it rebooted for the install, it went into TWRP recovery. Not sure what to do with that, I rebooted. Now I am still on 4.4.2 and getting the "up to date" when I check for updates.

I am rooted running stock ROM. Does being unlocked and rooted with custom recovery prevent an OTA install of updates?

madAdam6LOVE

Jul 8, 2010
Gilford, NH
I'm also looking for help updating to 4.4.3. I uninstalled Xposed and tried to flash the update zip with TWRP but the install failed. Does the update need to be installed via adb sideload?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

deny_kei

Jun 11, 2011
Jakarta
When my n7 was on 4.3.1 stock rooted with unlock bootloader i updated via ota and twrp can handle it. I dont know about 4.4.3. There is a thread discussing this matter but i dont remmember where, i think is in the general. I never used side load but im using nrt nexus root toolkit for udpating to 4.4.3 and it work fine.

vs980

Shubhrank

Sep 9, 2013
Same problem!!

Exactly same has happened to me. I got the notification for update than i downloaded it, it was about 70 mb , then rebooted my device, goes to TWRP recovery than what ?? I just restarted my device and in settings its still on 4.4.2 what to do Now ????

Repoman123

Aug 12, 2012
Hey all

What does TWRP stand for please?

I also got the notification to update to 4.3.3 but after downloading, when the installation began I got an error screen with the android dude lying on his back. I switched my nexus off and on again and I'm still on 4.2.2.

Now I get the same message when I check for updates.

How can I get my tablet to update again please?

My nexus is a regular unrooted tablet with the stock ROM that was installed via the previous ota update.

Many thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

hamid_valad

Dec 30, 2009
Tehran
hmmmm, sounds odd. same thing happened to me.
maybe TWRP(Team Win Recovery Project) cant handle it, or we should have updated it first. Or maybe we should have used CWM or Stock Recovery.

but the strange thing is that the tablet cannot find the update again!!
i'll try to update NRT (Nexus Root Toolkit) and see if i can update using that.

GrillMouster

Dec 8, 2010
My wife and son got the 4.4.3 update notification on each of their 2012 Nexus 7 this morning. I told them not to install the update; I'll handle it when I get home this afternoon. My 2013 Wifi-only Nexus 7 needed to be on stock recovery in order to install the 4.4.3 OTA, so I assume the same is true for the 2012 Wifi-only Nexus 7. I'll do the same that I did for the 2013 N7:

1) restore stock recovery, 2) adb sideload the OTA or just install it from the tablet, then 3) re-install custom recovery and re-root.

Update: I installed stock recovery, then tried to download and install the update on the device, and got an "Error" message with Android on its back and an exclamation point in a red triangle. I long-pressed the power button to reboot and it's still on 4.4.2 and says it's up to date.

So, I downloaded the update to my computer and tried an adb sideload. When I did that and watched the update fail I saw the detailed error message that "/system/bin/debuggerd has unexpected contents". Probably something from an app requiring root. So, I downloaded the 4.4.2 factory image from the google developer's site, used 7zip to extract the system image file and flashed it to the device. After that I was able to adb sideload the update, then reinstalled TWRP. When I tried re-rooting using NRT, there was no SuperSU on the device, so I installed it from the Play Store and when I opened it I chose to install binaries through TWRP. When it booted into TWRP it immediately began flashing an old Titanium Backup file named "update.zip", which I did not want to happen. That screwed up a couple of apps, but nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. My lesson is to not leave any files named "update.zip" in the root directory.

Last edited:

hamid_valad

Dec 30, 2009
Tehran
My wife and son got the 4.4.3 update notification on each of their 2012 Nexus 7 this morning. I told them not to install the update; I'll handle it when I get home this afternoon. My 2013 Wifi-only Nexus 7 needed to be on stock recovery in order to install the 4.4.3 OTA, so I assume the same is true for the 2012 Wifi-only Nexus 7. I'll do the same that I did for the 2013 N7:

1) restore stock recovery, 2) adb sideload the OTA or just install it from the tablet, then 3) re-install custom recovery and re-root.

Update: I installed stock recovery, then tried to download and install the update on the device, and got an "Error" message with Android on its back and an exclamation point in a red triangle. I long-pressed the power button to reboot and it's still on 4.4.2 and says it's up to date.

So, I downloaded the update to my computer and tried an adb sideload. When I did that and watched the update fail I saw the detailed error message that "/system/bin/debuggerd has unexpected contents". Probably something from an app requiring root. So, I downloaded the 4.4.2 factory image from the google developer's site, used 7zip to extract the system image file and flashed it to the device. After that I was able to adb sideload the update, then reinstalled TWRP. When I tried re-rooting using NRT, there was no SuperSU on the device, so I installed it from the Play Store and when I opened it I chose to install binaries through TWRP. When it booted into TWRP it immediately began flashing an old Titanium Backup file named "update.zip", which I did not want to happen. That screwed up a couple of apps, but nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. My lesson is to not leave any files named "update.zip" in the root directory.
good jub. But if we flash stock rom again, all our data will be lost. And backing up 32gb of data and restoring them each time is a pain in the a*s. I'm tired and sick of it. So this time, i'd rather not install the update, than having to reinstall all my apps and reconfigure them and copy files back and ....
So... To hell with 4.4.3 this time if it wont work properly.

But there is something in my mind.
Guys, how many of you have stickmount installed?
I remember an error coused by it. Maybe it is the reason the update failed...

Last edited:

GrillMouster

Dec 8, 2010
good jub. But if we flash stock rom again, all our data will be lost. And backing up 32gb of data and restoring them each time is a pain in the a*s. I'm tired and sick of it. So this time, i'd rather not install the update, than having to reinstall all my apps and reconfigure them and copy files back and ....
So... To hell with 4.4.3 this time if it wont work properly.

But there is something in my mind.
Guys, how many of you have stickmount installed?
I remember an error coused by it. Maybe it is the reason the update failed...

Flashing stock recovery.img and stock system.img does not wipe all my data. Everything was still there: all my media, files, apps, and app data.

I think you're right about the Stickmount app. I did have it on my son's tablet, and I had to flash system. Last night I updated my wife's tablet. She did not have Stickmount, so the OTA installed without me having to flash system. Just to be safe I did flash stock recovery first. I put TWRP back on and re-rooted after the OTA.

Last edited: