[Driver] Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU ICS Flashable Update {UnSigned}

Search This thread

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
This Adreno GPU update is ONLY designed to work on Qualcomm S3 ARM7 Devices running ICS.

Greetings, I have been on XDA for a long time and I hope that you all can benefit from this patch as we have over at the Amaze Forums. Here is a link to my Original Thread and evidence of this patch's success for our Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU devices running ICS.

We have proven that this driver Patch has doubled our GPU throughput for 2D and 3D rendering.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1631223

I have only tested this on my T-Mobile HTC Amaze (Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU) and have not experienced any issues.

I have created this Recovery Flashable Patch to Install the Qualcomm Updated Adreno Drivers on the "Official Ruby ICS" release.

Qualcomm Developers Website

I did not get a screenshot of the results before flashing this, however I have seen dramatically improved result on my Quadrant 3D scores with "Force 2D GPU rendering" UNCHECKED in the Setting->Develop Options Menu of this ICS Release. With this option checked I have seen improvements on both 2D and 3D. Although results are slightly degraded for 3D from post update the 2D results have doubled in value.

Quadrant results were obtained immediately after restart to avoid any other processes interfering with the results.

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering NOT checked.
attachment.php

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering CHECKED.
attachment.php

If someone would post a screenshot of the before Quadrant result I would gladly add it to this post. Please only post results Immediately after restart for conformity.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich Required
Root Required

1. Pre Requisites fulfilled (Root) (ICS)
  2. Install "Adreno ICS Update" to the root of your SD Card
  3. Toggle Signature Verification in Recovery
  4. Install zip via Recovery
  5. Fix Permissions
  6. Reboot
  7. ENJOI!!!

Thank you dhkr234 for the flashable zip framework.

Please post any other tested configurations and I will add them for other community members reference.

The usual warning goes here. I'm not responsible for what you do, or how you execute, use this at your own risk!

Last edited:

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
Additional Configurations Tested

Additional ROMS with confirmed improvements:

ROMS with these NEW Adreno Drivers Baked in:

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
I confirmed the new drivers work with Virtuous Inquisition and Wildchild IcE AOKP. With force 2d gpu redering enabled...I got 3000+ in quadrant and 5300+ in antutu

Please post only 2D and 3D results.

Overall scores are not indicative of real performance gains.

I circled in the OP what scores are really affected.

Thank you,
gjcamp

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

dhkr234

Jan 27, 2011
Wow, you're welcome, but this is more than needed. As I recall, all I did was package some driver files in an update.zip with an "extract directory blah" line.

But hey, glad you benefited from that!!! :D

Edit: so I ran some tests with this driver.
1) It is **NOT** limited to S3/220, works just fine on my S2/205.
2) The advancements attributed to it are greatly exaggerated.

My results;
before, soft 2d
2d 249
3d 936

before, hard 2d
2d 672
3d 976

after, hard 2d
2d 660
3d 990

second run after, hard 2d
2d 833
3d 774

You will note that the big 2d jump happened with forcing 2d rendering. Even with the older driver.
The second run with the new drivers came out weird. Subsequent runs with the same driver looked a lot closer to the first run with the new drivers.

Yes, the new drivers perform better. Probably 5% or so overall is my guess.

And OP: Its not a "patch". Its a binary driver. A patch is a "differences" file for SOURCE code.

Last edited:
Reactions: gjcamp

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
Wow, you're welcome, but this is more than needed. As I recall, all I did was package some driver files in an update.zip with an "extract directory blah" line.

My results;
before, soft 2d
2d 249
3d 936

before, hard 2d
2d 672
3d 976

after, hard 2d
2d 660
3d 990

2d 833
3d 774

You will note that the big 2d jump happened with forcing 2d rendering. Even with the older driver.
The second run with the new drivers came out weird. Subsequent runs with the same driver looked a lot closer to the first run with the new drivers.

And OP: Its not a "patch". Its a binary driver. A patch is a "differences" file for SOURCE code.

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Fyi-

These binaries in this driver is specifically listed on Qcomm's website for ARM7.

The update you had is for ARM 6.

If you see improvement then great!

Cheers,
gjcamp

dhkr234

Jan 27, 2011
Glad to hear it worked for you.

Fyi-

These binaries in this driver is specifically listed on Qcomm's website for ARM7.

The update you had is for ARM 6.

If you see improvement then great!

Cheers,
gjcamp

No, that was also for ARM7. All Adreno 2xx's are with ARM7's, from S1 upward.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh man, I **REALLY** hate to have to break this to you, but this is exactly the same driver as in my zip from here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23725278&postcount=39

... explains the performance results.

Sorry.

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
No, that was also for ARM7. All Adreno 2xx's are with ARM7's, from S1 upward.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh man, I **REALLY** hate to have to break this to you, but this is exactly the same driver as in my zip from here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23725278&postcount=39

... explains the performance results.

Sorry.

No need to apologise. I simply looked at the date comparing your libs with what I downloaded directly from the Qualcomm Website. Seeing that Qualcomm released the ARMv6 drivers later than the ARMv7 I assumed you created the zip for ARMv6. I now see the matching CRC. My bad.

Qualcomm Dev Website

BTW your file is on the right.

attachment.php

Thank you,
gjcamp

Attachments

• AdrenoCompare.jpg
    AdrenoCompare.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3,880
Last edited:

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
My bad!
I flashed this on ICS mytouch 4g, no difference my Quadrant is 2537

The OVERALL Quadrant score is of no concern. Especially since this Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) update ONLY effects the GPU SCORES.

Your OVERALL score can and will be impacted by other processes running in the background. Your OVERALL score is a reflection of your 2D/3D, SD Card R/W, CPU, MEM I/O, etc... TOTAL performance scores.

Additionally if your MT4G ICS update already has these Drivers Ver. 213 you will seee no gain in 2D/3D benchmarking either, since you would only be overwriting existing files wiht the SAME files.

If you just posted your 2D/3D scores before and after then we would have the information necessary to help you determine if this worked for you or not.

Thank you,
gjcamp

Last edited:

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
Is it recommended to flash this?

No, all the ICS ROMs already have it.
It won't hurt though if you do.

I am not sure that ALL ICS Roms would have this as it was released by Qualcomm after some manufacturers released their ICS ROMS. Although it probably is in MOST cooked ROMS already.

You can always go into your SYSTEM/LIB and check which version you are running.

dhkr234 is correct. If you just flash it you will be OK. If you want to know if it helped you on the ROM you are running then document the 2D/3D scores before and after.

dhkr234

Jan 27, 2011
I am not sure that ALL ICS Roms would have this as it was released by Qualcomm after some manufacturers released their ICS ROMS. Although it probably is in MOST cooked ROMS already.
I doubt that there's anyone here running a factory ROM just interested in upgrading their GPU drivers.... :D

dus1988

Feb 20, 2010
Wow what a difference! Obviously works on virtuous inquisition. See attached

sent from my Virtuous Sensation.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339259624734.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339259624734.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 261
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339259634034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339259634034.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 261

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Adreno GPU update is ONLY designed to work on Qualcomm S3 ARM7 Devices running ICS.

Greetings, I have been on XDA for a long time and I hope that you all can benefit from this patch as we have over at the Amaze Forums. Here is a link to my Original Thread and evidence of this patch's success for our Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU devices running ICS.

We have proven that this driver Patch has doubled our GPU throughput for 2D and 3D rendering.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1631223

I have only tested this on my T-Mobile HTC Amaze (Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU) and have not experienced any issues.

I have created this Recovery Flashable Patch to Install the Qualcomm Updated Adreno Drivers on the "Official Ruby ICS" release.

Qualcomm Developers Website

I did not get a screenshot of the results before flashing this, however I have seen dramatically improved result on my Quadrant 3D scores with "Force 2D GPU rendering" UNCHECKED in the Setting->Develop Options Menu of this ICS Release. With this option checked I have seen improvements on both 2D and 3D. Although results are slightly degraded for 3D from post update the 2D results have doubled in value.

Quadrant results were obtained immediately after restart to avoid any other processes interfering with the results.

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering NOT checked.
    attachment.php

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering CHECKED.
    attachment.php

If someone would post a screenshot of the before Quadrant result I would gladly add it to this post. Please only post results Immediately after restart for conformity.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich Required
    Root Required

1. Pre Requisites fulfilled (Root) (ICS)
    2. Install "Adreno ICS Update" to the root of your SD Card
    3. Toggle Signature Verification in Recovery
    4. Install zip via Recovery
    5. Fix Permissions
    6. Reboot
    7. ENJOI!!!

Please post any other tested configurations and I will add them for other community members reference.

The usual warning goes here. I'm not responsible for what you do, or how you execute, use this at your own risk!
    I confirmed the new drivers work with Virtuous Inquisition and Wildchild IcE AOKP. With force 2d gpu redering enabled...I got 3000+ in quadrant and 5300+ in antutu

My results;
    before, soft 2d
    2d 249
    3d 936

before, hard 2d
    2d 672
    3d 976

after, hard 2d
    2d 660
    3d 990

2d 833
    3d 774